MOSCOW – September 22, 2011 – Cisco today announced the completion of the project aimed at building a new telecommunications infrastructure for Transaero airline, the second largest airline in the Russian Federation. Transaero's office building, located at Domodedovo airport, comprises fault-tolerant wire line and wireless networks with redundant Internet connectivity and Cisco® Unified Communications and collaboration, enabling employees to remain connected at any time with any device.
Strong competition and rapid development in the aviation industry inspired Transaero to modernize the entire network infrastructure of the airport office and to deploy scalable communications systems. I-Teco, a Cisco Gold Certified Partner in Russia, which implemented the project, had three main objectives: to build an interactive infrastructure for the customer's information subsystems, to provide Transaero employees with wireless network connections, and to support telephony communications for them.
The core network is based on the Cisco Catalyst® 6500 Series Switches installed on customer premises. The switches are connected with VSS (Virtual Switching System), which turns two physical switches in one logical device with a total throughput of 1.4 terabits per second (Tbps). Network access for endpoint devices is provided by the Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switches. Even if one of the core switches fails, the new infrastructure will make all network resources available to Transaero employees.
Key Facts / Highlights:
- The project was implemented within a very short time-frame: only two months passed from the early stages of design to commercial operation. Within that time, I-Teco specialists built a local area network (LAN) cable infrastructure for more than 1,000 ports and set up a wireless network comprised of Cisco 4400 Series Wireless LAN Controllers throughout the Transaero office, which occupies six floors (8,000 square meters). The wireless network is managed by the Cisco Wireless Control System (WCS), which configures wireless network devices, controls access rights from one central console and ensures highly secure network connections.
- The unified communications system is supported by Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager). Cisco equipment unifies all media (telephony, voice, email and video) and provides access to various communications services from any device. As a result, Transaero employees can share data and collaborate at their desks, as well as in any other location by using mobile applications and portable communications devices. Users - even when they are away from their offices - can still access corporate resources with a high degree of security. Remote users are available for voice and/or video communications through their enterprise phone numbers: Enterprise telephony systems with a unified numbering plan supports automatic call forwarding to softphones and mobile devices.
- In addition, the new network has enabled fast connection to audio and video conferences and opened new opportunities for collaboration regardless of the users'location.
Tags, Keywords: Russia, Cisco, Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches, Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switches, Cisco 4400 Series Wireless LAN Controllers, Cisco Wireless Control System, WCS
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
- Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches
- Cisco Catalyst 3750 Series Switches
- Cisco 4400 Series Wireless LAN Controllers
- Cisco Wireless Control System (WCS)
- Cisco Unified Communications Manager (CallManager)
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Russia is supplied through its authorized channel partners by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # # # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the United States and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
# # # # #