SINGAPORE – August 04, 2011 – Cisco and the Institute of Technical Education (ITE) today announced the development of a connected learning environment at the ITE campus in Chua Chu Kang. The interactive and global learning laboratories, called the ITE-Cisco Collaboration Technologies Center, will also offer technical education and training in the field of Information and Communications Technology (ICT) in Singapore through the Cisco® Networking Academy®.
- The network has become critical to businesses as it increases productivity and drives innovation. Countries around the world are using networking technologies to improve efficiencies, increase their competitive advantage, and empower individuals to build a knowledge-based, future-ready society.
- This brings to focus the importance of ICT and the need for highly skilled and qualified ICT engineers who will be able to work with these future technologies.
- The skills gap is currently extensive, as graduates are entering the workforce with a lack of real-world experience. To address this, ITE and Cisco will develop a relevant curriculum and joint certifications from ITE and Cisco, as well as internships and industry attachments.
- The ITE-Cisco Collaboration TechnologiesCenter extends the borders of the classroom by connecting students in Singapore with lecturers overseas and provides a virtual learning environment that is environmentally sustainable and cost effective. The ITE-Cisco Collaboration Technologies Center uses Cisco TelePresence®, WebEx® and other collaboration technologies.
- More than three-quarters of top education officials around the world believe technology can play a major role in how students learn and how teachers educate, according to a global survey commissioned by Cisco and conducted by Clarus Research Group, a Washington, D.C.-based research firm.
- In the same survey, 65 percent of the college and university officials surveyed say online international programs are a "major opportunity" for them, as these programs can result in a greater "virtual" student body and can enrich learning opportunities by diversifying faculty, students and expert viewpoints.
- A large majority of education officials across the Asia-Pacific region shared that that improved communications with students is a top priority. Investing in improved research infrastructure and capabilities is also key. Education officials in this region believe technology will play a critical role in preparing the workforce of the future.
Cisco Networking Academy
- Cisco is committed to transforming education and lives through the Cisco Networking Academy.
- 1 million Networking Academy students worldwide are concurrently engaged in learning this year in 10,000 academies operating in 165 countries. The Networking Academy is a global education initiative that teaches students how to design, build, troubleshoot and secure computer networks for increased access to career and economic opportunities in communities around the world.
- Cisco and ITE will also offer a joint certificate to students who successfully complete the module on collaboration technologies. The module will include content developed by Cisco and ITE and is based on Networking Academy content. ITE instructors will also have access to global education resources and innovative learning tools.
- As part of this transformation, Cisco will sponsor up to 100 ITE students annually to obtain the CCNA® and CCENT® certifications.
- Cisco will also offer three-month internship programs for students at ITE in the relevant modules and develop the knowledge base by providing industry attachment opportunities for ITE staff at Cisco and its partners.
- Bruce Poh, director & chief executive officer, Institute of Technical Education, Singapore
"The ITE-Cisco Collaboration Technologies Centre – a Blended Learning Environment using Cisco-Tandberg TelePresence Conferencing System and Cisco WebEx Collaboration Tools – will be a strategic tool for us to engage our global education partners for joint project collaboration and knowledge sharing and research. The System will allow us to have seamless, real-time communications and ‘face-to-face' discussions with anyone with compatible systems, anywhere."
- Irving Tan, general manager for Asia South, Cisco
"With the foundation of the next-generation national broadband network, organizations are able to use the network to broaden their horizons, expand their capabilities and in the case of ITE, transform education, educators and students alike. Cisco is very proud to be providing this next-generation education technology and support to ITE as we, together, develop new and innovative ways to help students build skills that map to in-demand job roles."
- Sandy Walsh, regional manager for Cisco Networking Academy in Asia Pacific
"Networking Academy's unique cloud delivery model brings the power of the network to ICT skills-based education, in support of the critical need for networking professionals around the world. Our collaboration with ITE will provide a consistently enriching learning experience and increase career opportunities, and help ensure that students and instructors have the resources they need to accomplish their goals."
- Cisco Networking Academy: http://www.cisco.com/go/netacad
- Institute of Technical Education: http://www.ite.edu.sg
- ITE on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Institute-of-Technical-Education-Singapore/107473952625042
- Follow Cisco in Asia Pacific on twitter: http://twitter.com/ciscoAPAC
- Read more about Cisco's solutions in Education: http://www.cisco.com/web/strategy/education/index.html
The Institute of Technical Education (ITE), Singapore, was established as a post-secondary education institution in 1992 under the Ministry of Education. ITE is a principal provider of career and technical education and principal authority in developing national occupational skills certification and standards to enhance Singapore's workforce competitiveness. Under its "One ITE System, Three Colleges" Model of Education, ITE governs three Colleges, comprising ITE College Central, ITE College East and ITE College West.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco products are supplied in Singapore byCisco Systems International, BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.