HAMBURG, Germany - June 3, 2015 - Today, the Hamburg Port Authority (HPA) continues to make the Smart Port vision a reality with the implementation of Europe's first "smartROAD". The smartROAD Proof of Concept aims to improve resource management, traffic flow, infrastructure condition and environmental management, using an Internet of Everything approach with real time data and analytics. Insights from the proof of concept will help enable Cisco, HPA and ecosystem partners to make a decision on a broader deployment of these solutions in the Port of Hamburg.
smartROAD solutions are focused on four areas:
- Traffic Management helps the port road manager to monitor road traffic. Incidents are detected automatically and the port road manager is alerted to coordinate with other authorities.
- Structural Sensors provide real time data on the condition of movable infrastructures such as the Kattwyk Lifting Bridge, enabling the technical maintenance department to precisely and predictively plan maintenance and repairs.
- Environmental Sensors deliver data that is used to improve analysis of the environmental situation in the port area.
- Smart Lighting enhances safety for pedestrians and cyclists in the port and saves energy at the same time. As part of the proof of concept, ‘Follow Me Lighting' is deployed on one of the streets to specifically improve this road for the users.
All sensors and systems are connected by a highly secure network infrastructure. Data is processed by analytics software, and findings are made available via a centralized, integrated dashboard. Cisco also put in place a comprehensive security framework for the whole installation that gives visibility into safety and security and enables the port management to take actions in real time.
Since cameras are used for traffic monitoring, anonymization of data is mandatory. Together with KiwiSecurity, Cisco has implemented software that runs on the cameras and blurs people and car plates. This level of information is discarded by the cameras and does not even enter the network.
The smartROAD proof of concept is a result of the memorandum of understanding that the City of Hamburg and Cisco signed in April 2014. Partners in the smart port ecosystem are Philips (intelligent lighting), AGT International (analytics software), T-Systems (Deutsche Telekom's IT services and consulting division), World Sensing (monitoring and sensors) and Kiwi (video analytics and anonymization).
"With smartROAD, HPA is piloting an integrated concept of the Internet of Everything for the first time, with various relevant use cases for port and the city, running on a real infrastructure", says Dr. Sebastian Saxe, CIO and CDO of HPA.
smartROAD is a key step into making our vision of the Internet of Everything a reality", says Wim Elfrink, Executive Vice President, Industry Solutions and Chief Globalisation Officer, Cisco. "Cities all over the world want to become more efficient and more enjoyable for citizens. At Cisco, we believe digitization can help cities master the many challenges they are facing. Here in Hamburg in particular, the port plays a key role in the city's economy and its development –that's why we are supporting Hamburg Port Authority to grow capacity by using their infrastructure more efficiently."
Images and Video
- Video: IoE transforms Hamburg into a smart city
- SmartROAD infographic
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.