- As part of its ongoing advanced technology partnership with KDDI, Cisco has successfully completed a PoC to build a 5G Standalone (SA) network for KDDI
- The success of this PoC will help to further strengthen KDDI's 5G business advantage to drive new revenue opportunities
- Incorporating ‘network slicing’, KDDI will be able to offer high capacity and low latency for its residential customers who consume higher volumes of data, and commercial use cases including IoT
SAN JOSE, Calif., February 25, 2020 – Cisco today announced that it has successfully completed a proof of concept (PoC) with KDDI Corporation, a leading Japanese telecommunications company, to build KDDI’s 5G standalone (SA) network.
Unlike its predecessors, 5G is about creating new services. With this 5G SA network, KDDI will be able to strengthen its 5G business advantage to drive new revenue opportunities with consumer and enterprise customers, offering high capacity and low latency services for its customers who consume higher volumes of data, including commercial use cases such as IoT.
As part of this trial, Cisco is demonstrating the benefits of cloud native software with the Cisco Ultra Packet Core platform, which is the heart of service creation. It works alongside key technologies such as ‘network slicing’, NFV, and automation via the Cisco Network Services Orchestrator (NSO) to support specific consumer and enterprise customer use cases.
“Unlike prior mobile generations, the path to profitability for 5G lines not simply with the consumer, but with enterprise opportunities more than ever before,” said Jonathan Davidson, Senior Vice President and General Manager, Cisco Service Provider Business. “Service creation is critical, and the mobile core is the service creation platform. One of the most important decisions to get right in 5G is the cloud-native core. KDDI is seeing the true benefits of this uniquely designed 4G to 5G evolution strategy that emphasizes agile, business-critical, service creation first. Through our close collaboration on this concept project, we are helping KDDI to define its path to launch commercial 5G services in 2020.”
- About KDDI
- Cisco 5G
- Cisco Ultra Services Platform
- Cisco NFV Infrastructure
- Network Services Orchestrator (NSO)
- For more information about Cisco service provider news and activities, visit the SP360 blog or follow us on Twitter @CiscoSP360 and LinkedIn.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide technology leader that has been making the Internet work since 1984. Our people, products, and partners help society securely connect and seize tomorrow's digital opportunity today. Discover more at newsroom.cisco.com and follow us on Twitter at @Cisco.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.