BARCELONA, November 16th, 2015 – At Smart City Expo World Congress 2015 this week, Cisco is reinforcing its position as the leading technology provider and business partner to help cities across the world become digital to cut operating costs, drive service delivery efficiencies, develop new business models and enable better quality of life for residents and more satisfying experiences for visitors.
Cisco is showcasing innovations across its holistic Smart+Connected Communities portfolio, which will be shared during product demonstrations, speaking engagements and joint-partner announcements at the Show.
Cisco and its partners Black & Veatch, CH2M, Deutsche Telekom, Cubic Transportation Systems, Johnson Controls Building Efficiency, Kiwi Security Software, s::can, Sensity Systems, and WorldSensing -as well as the cities of Dubai, Hamburg, Adelaide (Australia), and Kansas City, MO- will display multiple smart-city solution deployments in action at the Cisco booth (Gran Via Exhibition Centre, Palace 2, Street C, stand 390C).
Digital Platform for Cities
Within the next 10 years, 70 percent of the world’s population will live in urban areas. Cities are facing dramatic social, economic and environmental challenges. To keep pace, they are seeking more efficient ways to manage infrastructure and processes and offer sustainable citizen services.
Based on an intelligent network as the underlying platform for managed city and business services, the Cisco Smart+Connected Communities portfolio of solutions offers a holistic approach to transforming public spaces into smart, connected communities by helping to break down silos between city agencies, people and private companies and to gather, share and act upon a plethora of new data. The goal is the creation of safe, vital spaces in which to live, work, learn and play.
More than 90 cities around the globe thus far -including Mumbai (India), Toronto (Canada), Chicago (U.S.A.), Hamburg (Germany), Barcelona (Spain), Río de Janeiro (Brazil), Guayaquil (Ecuador), Chengdu (China) and Dubai (U.A.E.)- have engaged with Cisco and its partners to deploy Smart+Connected Communities solutions and applications to manage city infrastructure including connected parking, traffic, lighting, education, healthcare, safety and security and remote access to government services.
Product Demonstrations at the Cisco Booth
Cisco and its partners will offer demonstrations of solutions designed to help cities become digital and address social, environmental and economical sustainability challenges, including:
· Smart+Connected Lighting. The Cisco Smart+Connected Lighting solution and the Cisco city infrastructure management software exhibits the extreme efficiency and management precision of light-emitting diode (LED) technology and, when combined with the Smart+Connected Multi-sensor Node, can be gather a wide variety of data from the environment including levels of humidity, CO2/O2, UVA/UVB, particulate matter as well as detect motion and seismic activity, and sound, and use video to facilitate license plate and facial recognition. This data, shared across a single platform, can support many city services and initiatives, while helping to reduce energy consumption, improve parking compliance, optimize urban planning, and more.
· Smart+Connected Parking. The solution provides intelligent parking services through combined technologies including public Wi-Fi, video cameras, video analytics, and sensor-enabled parking management applications, providing citizens with real-time information about available parking and allowing them to book spaces in advance using mobile applications. It also permits parking enforcement agencies to better monitor and respond to parking compliance infractions, generating more revenue for the city and helping to guide better parking behavior.
Cisco Speakers at the Event:
- Amr Salem, Global Managing Director, Smart+Connected Communities: “How governance must change to enable the smart city?” Tuesday, November 17, 10:15 (CET), Gran Via, Hall 2, Espacio Congress, Room Auditorium.
- Munish Khetrapal, Managing Director, Solutions, Smart+Connected Communities: “Solutions connecting urban & data” Thursday, November 19, 11:30 (CET), Gran Via, Hall 2, Espacio Congress, Room 4.
- Arvind Satyam, Managing Director, Business Development, Smart+Connected Communities: “PPPP and strategic partnerships to foster smart cities” Thursday, November 19, 15:00 (CET), Gran Via, Hall 2, Espacio Congress, Room 3.
· Amr Salem, Global Managing Director, Smart+Connected Communities, Cisco: “Cities worldwide are becoming digital. Digitization requires a combined understanding of government, citizen, and business processes in order to apply the appropriate networking technology strategies and architectures that will connect everything—people, data, actions, devices, machines—as well as embrace analytics and take a holistic approach to data security and privacy. Smart City Expo World Congress has become a marquee event for Cisco to demonstrate how together with its partners it helps cities address these challenges.”
· José Manuel Petisco, General Manager, Cisco Spain: “City leaders need to focus on next-generation citizen services creating and maintaining successful and sustainable connected solutions rather than running current isolated services. Cisco has integrated all of the elements into its digital city solutions and is working closely with an ecosystem of dedicated, experienced global and local partners who will provide the applications and services to guide cities along their digital journey.”
- Join or stay tuned to our SMEWC activities following @CiscoSCC @CiscoIoE
- Cisco smart cities blog
- Cisco’s views of the Internet of Everything and Internet of Things
- RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Demo Tour for Press
Cisco and its partners welcome press, analysts and bloggers to visit the Cisco booth, to take a free, guided tour of the demos by Cisco and its partners (taking place on Tuesday November 17th, 12:30-13:30 p.m. CET at Cisco booth) and for one-on-one interviews with Cisco local and international executives.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies and cities seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.