The Netherlands, December 23, 2011 – Cisco today announced that Dutch service provider KPN has chosen the Cisco® CRS-3 multi-chassis carrier routing system, which will be deployed at the heart of KPN's Internet peering network. The CRS-3 solution will transport all of KPN's IP traffic to the Internet as part of KPN's Internet Cluster Environment (ICE), supporting future consolidation and streamlining the network and services without the need for extra system upgrades.
Providing industry-leading performance, the Cisco CRS-3 solution provides three times the scale and speed of the CRS-1, as well as twice the service intelligence in handling core and data centre services. It also provides significant environmental and cost benefits, with a lower cost of gigabits per second (Gbps), using considerably less power than competitor solutions.
- KPN is the largest service provider in the Netherlands and offers services across fixed, mobile, business and consumer offerings. Its focus for future expansion is on the demand for video over the Internet and ensuring that its network can support these requirements.
- Deployed at the heart of the KPN network, the multi-chassis Cisco CRS-3 provides industry-leading efficiency, requiring low power, cooling, and rack-space use for intelligent, service-rich bandwidth capacity.
- Offering 13 times the capacity of its nearest competitor (up to 322 Tbps), the multi-chassis CRS-3 provides a future-proof solution for KPN, enabling nearly unlimited network growth, and supporting the continued growth on Internet traffic in the years to come.
- All of KPN's Internet traffic will go through two core locations – the current architecture as set up with Cisco covers the replacement and upgrade of network capacity until 2020.
- Cisco predicts that by 2015, the number of network-connected devices will be more than 15 billion -- twice the world's population -- and the total amount of global Internet traffic will quadruple, reaching 966 exabytes per year. (Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast (2010-2015)
- According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2010 to 2015, two-thirds of the world's mobile data traffic will be video by 2015. Mobile video traffic will more than double every year between 2010 and 2015.
Michiel Panders, commercial director, Service Providers, Cisco
"With the explosion in bandwidth requirements, providers now require higher network quality at an effective price point, and the CRS-3 is an ideal fit for companies such as KPN. The CRS-3 has the highest quality of experience for the lowest total cost of ownership on the market, in one complete end-to-end solution. Looking at the explosive growth of video traffic, the CRS-3 also offers the scalability needed for the years to come."
- Cisco Data Center Solutions
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco Carrier Routing Systems
- Cisco CRS-3
- Cisco Visual Networking Index home page
- Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2010-2015
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast, 2010 to 2015
Cisco, Carrier Routing System, CRS-3, IP, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, KPN
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss
KPN is the largest service provider in the Netherlands, and offers services across fixed, mobile, business and consumer. Information about KPN can be found at http://www.kpn.com/corporate/aboutkpn/Company-profile.htm.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.