BANGALORE, March 10, 2011 - Cisco today announced the completion of a new mobile network for Reliance Communications that will cover 100,000 square kilometers -- the largest 3G deployment in India. With this new network, Reliance customers will be able to experience new mobile services such as high-quality video telephony and high-speed mobile data, along with enhanced music downloads, instant messaging and online gaming.
The deployment also paves the way for Reliance's implementation of the recently announced Cisco® MOVE (Monetization, Optimization, Videoscape Experience) framework. Cisco's MOVE empowers mobile operators like Reliance to better manage, enhance and take financial advantage of the rapidly growing volume of mobile data traffic.
Reliance's new mobile architecture, which includes the Cisco ASR 5000, Cisco 7600 and Cisco ME 3800X Series routers, will enable Reliance to develop and deliver, on a large scale, highly personalized and customized mobile multimedia services with superior quality and reliability.
Key Facts / Highlights
- The Cisco ASR 5000 is a purpose-built mobile multimedia core platform featuring a high-performance distributed architecture, service assurance and subscriber awareness. The ASR 5000 uniquely combines high capacity, high availability, and powerful performance with subscriber and network intelligence.
- The Cisco ME 3800X Series Carrier Ethernet Switch Router is a converged, full-featured aggregation platform purposely designed for the mobile, business, and residential markets. With low power consumption and high service scale, this 1-rack-unit (1RU) switch router is optimized for small aggregation and remote point-of-presence (POP) applications making it a highly cost effective option.
- The Cisco 7600 Series Internet Router delivers high-performance wide- and metropolitan-area network (WAN and MAN) capabilities with high-touch IP services at the network edge. Now, service providers can "service enable" their networks at optical speeds, providing a competitive advantage and service differentiation. The Cisco 7600 Series helps servce providers break through service and bandwidth barriers to increase revenues and profits.
- Prashant Gokarn, head, 3G business, Reliance Communications:
- Vish Iyer, vice president, of Cisco's Service Provider business unit:
"With the advent of 3G, we are experiencing high demand for data and video services. We will be offering a wide range of feature-rich services to our consumers, including video calling, mobile TV, video streaming and applications accessed at superfast speeds at affordable tariffs on our best-in-class 3G wireless network. Cisco's comprehensive IP product and solutions portfolio provides us the intelligence and performance required to customize and optimize each segment of our network, deploying what we need, where we need it, when we need it, all while enhancing our customers' experience."
"This pioneering deployment of a comprehensive IP mobile architecture by Reliance is a significant breakthrough and will elevate the subscriber experience and also provide a rich suite of monetization and optimization features that ensure lower costs per bit. The radio-independent IP-based mobile backhaul and packet core infrastructure will offer pre-eminent traffic capacity and operating efficiency, making a strong foundation for Reliance to meet the current and future needs of its customers and to get ready for the global growth of the next-generation mobile Internet."
About Reliance Communications
Reliance Communications Limited founded by the late Shri Dhirubhai H Ambani (1932-2002) is the flagship company of the Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group. The Reliance Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group currently has a net worth in excess of Rs. 64,000 crore (US$ 13.6 billion), cash flows of Rs. 13,000 crore (US$ 2.8 billion), net profit of Rs. 8,400 crore (US$ 1.8 billion).
Reliance Communications is India's foremost and truly integrated telecommunications service provider. The Company, with a customer base of over 132 million including over 2.5 million individual overseas retail customers, ranks among the Top 4 Telecom companies in the world by number of customers in a single country. Reliance Communications corporate clientele includes 2,100 Indian and multinational corporations, and over 800 global, regional and domestic carriers.
Reliance Communications has established a pan-India, next generation, integrated (wireless and wireline), convergent (voice, data and video) digital network that is capable of supporting best-of-class services spanning the entire communications value chain, covering over 24,000 towns and 600,000 villages. Reliance Communications owns and operates the world's largest next generation IP enabled connectivity infrastructure, comprising over 277,000 kilometers of fibre optic cable systems in India, USA, Europe, Middle East and the Asia Pacific region.