SAN JOSE, Calif. April 12, 2010 Cisco announced today that Intelsat S.A., the leading provider of fixed satellite services worldwide, has launched IntelsatONE, a first-of-its-kind global platform consisting of an IP/MPLS-based network, fiber, teleports and points of presence - fully integrated with Intelsat's global satellite fleet to better serve its media, network services and government customers.
For media organizations, IntelsatONE will manage video contribution and primary video distribution over an all-IP backbone using Cisco® Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) technology and video transcoding and video network management platforms. For network services and government customers, IntelsatONE will provide enhanced products, such as IPv6 next-generation IP services, DVB-S2 trunking and MPLS VPN.
With end-to-end Cisco IP NGN architecture and technology, Intelsat is expanding its capacity for the delivery of global commercial satellite services, including high-definition (HD) video programming, media applications, broadband services and more.
- The Cisco IP NGN technology components for this network include multiple units of the Cisco CRS family Carrier Routing System (CRS), Cisco 7600 Series Routers with Ethernet Services Plus Line Cards (ES+) and Cisco ASR 1000 routers for peering in four points of presence (PoPs) across the U.S. and Europe.
- The Cisco video network components and network management platforms for digital content delivery include the Cisco Digital Content Manager (DCM), Cisco D9857 IP Encoders, Cisco D9887 Professional Modular Receivers, ROSA® Network Management System, ROSA Element Manager, ROSA Video Service Manager and the Cisco Video Assurance Management Solution (VAMS) for monitoring and troubleshooting.
- The Cisco IP NGN technology supports Carrier Ethernet, offering Intelsat's customers a wider choice of access methods, including flexible options for International Private Line (IPL), collocation and Internet services.
- With new video network-management technology in place, Intelsat's customers will be able to monitor and troubleshoot their own services and schedule occasional-use feeds using a new Web-based interface.
- "The design goal for IntelsatONE was to expand our terrestrial IP networking capabilities with an architecture that can provide a broader range of hybrid satellite-terrestrial services to our customers and deliver them to our exacting standards for security, reliability and redundancy," said Thierry Guillemin, senior vice president and chief technical officer, Intelsat. "As we develop and grow IntelsatONE, Cisco will remain a trusted advisor to our engineering and operations teams."
- The move to an all-IP network is an important step for our customers like Intelsat who are looking to expand capacity and meet the growing bandwidth requirements to deliver satellite communications and entertainment services around the globe," said Bart Spriester, vice president and general manager of Digital Media Networks for Cisco's Service Provider Video Technology Group. "The launch of the IntelsatONE network marks a significant milestone for both Cisco and Intelsat, as we accomplished the successful replacement of legacy ATM technology with an entirely new network core, adding a premium video network management system into the mix to assist with tasks from provisioning to service assurance."
- Visit Intelsat: http://www.intelsat.com
- Cisco Digital Media Networks: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/video/index.html
- Cisco IP NGN: The Platform for the Connected Life
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit our Service Provider Blog SP360 or follow us on Twitter @CiscoSPVideo and @CiscoSP360.
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 Feed.
Cisco, Cisco CRS, Cisco CRS family Carrier Routing System, Cisco ASR, Cisco 7600 Series, Core Router, Digital Content Manager, DCM, IP encoders, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Intelsat, IntelsatONE, IP/MPLS, IPv6 next-generation IP services, modular receivers, network management, ROSA, ROSA Element Manager, satellite network, terrestrial network, video
Intelsat is the leading provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. For over 45 years, Intelsat has been delivering information and entertainment for many of the world's leading media and network companies, multinational corporations, Internet Service Providers and governmental agencies. Intelsat's satellite, teleport and fiber infrastructure is unmatched in the industry, setting the standard for transmissions of video, data and voice services. From the globalization of content and the proliferation of HD, to the expansion of cellular networks and broadband access, with Intelsat, advanced communications anywhere in the world are closer, by far.