SYDNEY, Australia August 25, 2009 Cisco® today announced that Telstra is deploying Cisco Aggregation Services Router 9000 Series (ASR) as their carrier Ethernet platform supporting a range of bandwidth-intensive, content-based services such as video.
Highlights / Key Facts:
- Telstra selected the Cisco ASR 9000 as its Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) edge routing platform because Cisco was able to provide a strong foundation to meet Telstra's future bandwidth requirements.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 deployment in the edge of their network complements the existing deployment of the Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System (CRS) router in the core. Because both platforms use the Cisco IOS-XR operating system, Telstra is able to take advantage of operational consistency and high reliability through the majority of its production network.
- Launched in November 2008, the Cisco ASR 9000 is designed to deliver massive scale, with industry leading 400G per slot capacity and scale up to 6.4 terabits per second, rich service capabilities including non-stop video experience with a reduced carbon footprint.
- Global IP traffic is expected to increase fivefold from 2008 to 2013, approaching 56 exabytes per month in 2013, up from approximately 9 exabytes per month in 2008. IP traffic in Asia Pacific will lead the geographic areas. It is forecast to reach 21 exabytes per month in 2013, accounting for more than one third of the global traffic. (Source: Cisco Visual Networking Index IP traffic growth forecast 20082013.)
- "We are honored that Telstra has chosen the Cisco ASR 9000 for its network edge," said Praveen Akkiraju, vice president and general manager, service provider business unit, Cisco. "The Cisco ASR 9000 at the edge, coupled with the Cisco CRS-1 carrier routing system, helps enable Telstra to deliver a leadership Next Generation IP network that supports a broad range of business and consumer services."
- Read the "Cisco SP360" blog post
- Read the full results from the Cisco Visual Networking Index IP traffic growth forecast 20082013
- Read press release entitled "Cisco Aggregation Services Router 9000 Series Becomes Industry's Highest-Capacity Edge Router"
- Join Cisco SP360 on Twitter
- Read more on the Cisco ASR Web site
- Subscribe to Cisco's RSS Feed
Cisco, Telstra, Router, ASR, ASR 9000, Pankaj Patel