IRVINE, Calif. - May 12, 2009 - Cisco® today announced it has updated its award-winning Network Magic suite of network management software that allows consumers to easily setup, manage, and help secure their home networks. The latest releases (Network Magic Pro, Network Magic Essentials, and Network Magic Basic) offer a new dynamic, interactive network map, more intuitive navigation, support for more types of networked consumer devices, and simplified access to printer and file sharing from within Network Magic. In addition, to add unprecedented value to its line of wireless routers, Network Magic Basic will now be included with all Linksys by Cisco wireless routers.
Network Magic Facts/Highlights:
- Updated User Interface
- Comprehensive Parental Controls
- Integration with Linksys by Cisco wireless routers
- Expanded language support
- Optimized SpeedTest
A more consumer-friendly user interface offers users more intuitive control over devices on their network from within a single network map window. The new interface also adds simplified access to printer and file sharing, an easier process for adding wireless devices, and support for a broader range of devices than earlier generations of Network Magic.
Network Magic users can utilize the Parental Controls built into the software to help oversee and control exactly how the Internet is being used by the whole family. With a simple point and set interface, users can set limits for web browsing, game playing and overall Internet usage. Additionally, for select Linksys by Cisco Wireless-N Routers, Home Network Defender, powered by Trend Micro, has been integrated into Network Magic to add further Parental Control capabilities to the offering.
Going forward, all Linksys by Cisco wireless routers will feature Network Magic Basic as the default network management tool. Current users of Linksys by Cisco routers can download the software for free from networkmagic.com.
The new versions of Network Magic include 33 languages integrated into the software.
New regional server support provides better measurement of local services through the popular Network Magic SpeedTest function.
- Network Magic Basic
- Network Magic Essentials
- Network Magic Pro
- Network Magic Mac Add-On
Designed specifically to ship with Linksys by Cisco routers. Includes:
-Network mapping capabilities
-Viewable device details
-Wireless connection wizard
-Network device addition
-Wireless security setup
-Network intruder detection
-Internet connection repair
-Support for up to eight computers
-30-day trial of Home Network Defender (1)
-7-day trial of Network Magic Pro
Built for users who require the basic functionality of the overall software offering to help solve issues with routers from any manufacturer or want to utilize the file and printer sharing capabilities to extend the capabilities of their home network. Includes most of the features of Network Magic Basic, with the exception of SpeedTest, and is designed to support a maximum of three computers. Priority tech support is available to users of Network Magic Essentials.
Provides the broadest available set of software capabilities available on the market for managing and securing the network with point and click ease. Includes all functionality of Network Magic Essentials plus support for network attached storage devices, Internet access controls, real-time screenshot capabilities and daily usage reports to help monitor any computer on the network, Internet SpeedTest, and support for up to eight PCs.
Offers easy setup for cross-platform sharing of files and printers by PC and Macs on a home network.
(1) For routers with Home Network Defender capabilities
- Peder Ulander, senior director, software applications, platforms and services, Cisco Consumer Business Group
"Network Magic helps consumers take control of their network at a level that allows them be comfortable with the technology as Cisco's overall vision of the media-enabled home becomes a reality. With this latest release, Linksys by Cisco customers will receive an unprecedented value via the integration of world-class software management capabilities with world-class hardware performance."
- According to a YouGov survey, conducted in April 2009, with more than one thousand people who have a home network in the United States, 49 percent of those surveyed most preferred a software program that would walk them through the set up of a device on the network such as a printer or another PC.
- According to a recent home networking survey conducted by ABI Research, one in three consumers experience difficulty setting up their home network.
Pricing and availability:
Network Magic is available now at www.networkmagic.com for the following prices:
- Network Magic Pro - $49.99
- Network Magic Essentials - $29.99
- Upgrades for existing Network Magic Essentials or Pro customers with Version 4.9 or below- $24.99
- Network Magic Mac Add-on - $25.00
- Product Web page - http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/software
- Online Press kit (includes Product Screenshots, Product Comparison Chart, and Research Paper from ABI Research) - http://www.networkmagic.com/press
- Network Magic Video Data Sheet - www.linksysbycisco.com/networkmagicvideo
- Q&A with ABI Research Analyst Jason Blackwell - http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2009/ts_051209.html
- Cisco Consumer Blogs: http://blogs.cisco.com/consumer
- Podcast with Ned Hooper discussing the Cisco Consumer strategy
- Read the Cisco news feature on the media-enabled home
- Learn more about consumer products for a media-enabled home at www.linksysbycisco.com and www.linksysbycisco.com/forums
- Become a Facebook fan of Cisco "LinksysbyCisco" and "Digital Cribs" and invite your friends to join the conversation
Cisco, Consumer, Linksys by Cisco, Media-Enabled Home, Network Management Software, Networking Set up, Network Magic, Network Map, Speed Test, Home Management