MANAMA, Bahrain, March 31, 2009 - Cisco has announced today the opening of a new office and Internet Data Centre in Bahrain. This initiative is in line with the company's agreement to work closely with the Bahrain government to improve the Kingdom's global competitiveness in information and communications technology (ICT). The new Internet Data Centre is integral to the organisation's commitment to advancing strategic ICT initiatives for the country and giving the kingdom a cutting edge in business communications on the worldwide stage.
- A regional hub for Cisco's ICT services: The new Internet Data Centre supports the delivery of multiple technologies, to offices in the region, including Cisco TelePresenceTM virtual meeting solution which creates a live, face-to-face meeting experience over the network, and Unified Communications which combines all forms of business communications into a single, unified system that provides powerful new ways to collaborate.
- An integral part of the Bahrain government's ICT strategy: Attracting direct foreign investment has been the government's long-standing strategic objective and a central pillar in its plans for economic growth. Cisco's Internet Data Centre's operations will help to further this cause as an essential component in the drive to improve government services to the populace.
- Cisco is expanding its role in Bahrain: By establishing an office at the Bahrain Financial Harbor, the organisation is also focusing on developing new ICT talent to help address the increasing local and regional opportunities for workers with ICT skills. The proximity of Cisco's new office to its customers and partners in Bahrain will help foster working dynamics that will assist in providing immediate support to the company's growing customer base in the region.
URL's and links:
- "Ongoing collaboration between the government of Bahrain and Cisco will be key to building the necessary infrastructure in the Kingdom to grow the ICT market and facilitate the modernisation of governmental operations to enhance government services," said His Excellency Sheikh Ahmed Bin Atiyat Allah Al Khalifa, Bahrain Minister of Cabinet Affairs.
- "The opening of this new Internet Data Centre and Office in Bahrain marks a key milestone for Cisco across the region," said Tarek Ghoul, general manager for Cisco Gulf North. "The new facility will provide us with a firm foundation on which to help build and develop ICT based initiatives to support the country's economic growth," he added.
- "With a population of less than one million, Bahrain's progressive regulatory environment has fuelled the growth of vital economic sectors and created the environment for innovation and talent development which will help position the kingdom at the forefront of regional economies. Cisco is committed to Bahrain and to developing a world-class IT infrastructure in the kingdom," said Duncan Mitchell, senior vice president at Cisco Emerging Markets.