August 18, 2011
LISBON, Portugal, August 17th, 2011 -- Cisco today announced that ZON Multimedia has deployed the Cisco® Carrier-Grade Internet Protocol version 6 (CGv6) Solution to handle the transition of its Carrier Ethernet network to IPv6. The Portuguese cable operator has worked closely with Cisco to drive the activation of IPv6 features in its access, aggregation and Internet peering networks to implement a transparent end-to-end IPv6 infrastructure.
- Support for IPv6 using a dual-stack network (allowing both IPv4 and IPv6 to coexist) will allow ZON to offer enhanced IPv6-ready services to its customers while maintaining customer satisfaction by allowing them transparent usage of both protocols during the transition period.
- ZON customers can select the time of their choosing to utilize the almost unlimited number of IP addresses enabled with IPv6. This infrastructure provides support for IPv6 with advanced network capabilities, address space expansion, device mobility support and easier device operation. The new network will provide a strong foundation for meeting ZON's present and future business services requirements.Cisco has a broad portfolio of switches, routers and security devices that have passed international IPv6 testing (see "IPv6-ready logo") as part of its CGv6 portfolio. CGv6's simple framework helps preserve existing investments in IPv4, and prepares for IPv6 with varying transition techniqueswhile helping service providers to prosper during the migration.
- The Cisco infrastructure deployed in ZON is based on a Cisco Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) architecture using the Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers as a point of convergence for all CMTS equipments such as the Cisco uBR10000 CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) loaded with the latest generation line cards, namely the Cisco MC-20x20.
- ZON is taking its leadership in cable broadband home access to a worldwide level. ZON's customers will be able to benefit from this implementation through ubiquitous Internet access and content availability in both IPv4 and IPv6.
- Paulo Ribeiro, member of the Board, ZON TV Cabo
"We have been making smart investments in our network to be able to reach this day. Our innovative network and Cisco's technology has allowed us to offer the most compelling Internet applications. Now we can offer our customers an enhanced and improved experience during Internet surfing."
- Mark Townsley, fellow at Cisco
"It is critical that service providers have the support necessary to see IPv6 deployed to users before the lack of IPv4 addresses stifles the growth and evolution of the Internet. Cisco is extending its IPv6 leadership with new solutions that enable customers to accelerate the transition from IPv4 to IPv6 with ease. The solution now offered by ZON will allow their users to be connected to the next-generation IPv6 Internet with an abundance of addresses far surpassing what is available in IPv4 today."
- ZON Multimedia
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers
- Cisco uBR10000 Universal Broadband Routers
- Cisco Carrier Grade v6 Solution
- Cisco Network Management for Service Providers
- Cisco Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Cisco VNI Forecast Web Site
- Cisco VNI Forecast and Methodology, 2010 to 2015 White Paper
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blogor follow us on Twitter @SP360
Cisco, ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Service Routers, ASR 9000, ASR, Carrier Ethernet, Edge, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, ZON Multimedia, uBR10000, CMTS,IPv6, CGv6, Paulo Ribeiro
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
ZON Multimedia, listed on the main Portuguese stock index, PSI-20 index, is the leader of the pay TV market in Portugal and the country's second largest Internet provider. ZON Multimedia has 1.554 million TV clients, 704,000 broadband and 807,000 fixed line customers. ZON Multimedia is Portugal's leading provider of triple play solutions, offering multiple services across several platforms: cable, satellite and mobile. Additionally, the company is Portugal's leading content distribution and cinema exhibition company. For more information, visit ZON at www.zon.pt
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Portugal is supplied by Cisco Systems International BV, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.