September 9, 2008
Highlights / Key Facts:
As part of today's collaboration portfolio announcement, Cisco launched the latest version of its market-leading unified communications system which offers customers choice and flexibility while enabling new ways to collaborate with co-workers, partners, vendors, and customers. Cisco Unified Communications System Release 7.0 provides enhancements in ease-of-use, openness and interoperability, and total cost of ownership.
Cisco Unified Communications System Release 7.0 improves the experience for end-users, systems managers, technicians, and security managers. Highlights include:
- Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator extension of unified communications features such as dial via office, presence, and corporate directory look-up to mobile workers.
- New time of day rules that enable mobile workers to easily adjust single number reach settings when they are traveling or do not wish to be disturbed.
- Cisco Unified MeetingPlace and WebEx integration to combine the cost savings of on-premises voice with the productivity benefits of on-demand Web conferencing, all from a single interface.
- Cisco Unified Customer Voice Portal enabling spoken access to directories and web applications for self service.
Cisco Unified Communications System Release 7.0 is an open system designed to integrate and interoperate with enterprise applications and network infrastructure, and enable IT and partners to build new, customized applications. Highlights include:
- Deeper integration with desktop products from IBM and Microsoft including business-to-business exchange of presence and IM between Cisco Unified Personal Communicator and Microsoft Office Communicator users and complete unified communications capabilities for Lotus Sametime.
- Cisco Unified Applications Environment and the Application eXtension Platform (AXP) which are open development platforms that enable the integration of unified communications and network services with business applications and the development of new applications.
- Cisco Unified Mobile Communicator support for devices running on Windows Mobile operating system, as well as Symbian and Blackberry operating systems.
- Cisco Adaptive Security Appliance which provides an open, yet secure foundation that makes it possible for every person in every workspace to connect and communicate.
Cisco Unified Communications Release 7.0 continues to help lower system and management costs. Highlights include:
- Increased Cisco Unified Presence scalability to support up to 30,000 users.
- Cisco Unity support for up to 15,000 users on a single server, and Cisco Unity Connection support of enterprise-class scalability and features on an appliance platform.
- Cisco Unified MeetingPlace 7.0 offers a new architecture that unifies voice and video conferencing in a single media server appliance and increases scalability.
- Cisco Unified Communications Manager deployed exclusively on an appliance platform optimized for performance and serviceability.
Tags / Keywords:
Cisco Unified Communications, Collaboration, Business Transformation, Business Communications, IP Telephony, Mobile Unified Communications, Unified Communications Applications
"Having the right collaborative platform helps speed our decision making, increase productivity and improve relationships within the organization and with our customers and partners. I think our ability to collaborate is a competitive advantage for Activision," said Thomas Fenady, senior director, information technology, Activision. "Cisco's approach to collaboration takes advantage of our underlying corporate network to provide our teams with a seamless communications experience, helping us collaborates within the context of business processes."
"In companies around the world, Cisco unified communications systems are driving business transformation by streamlining processes, improving productivity and enhancing business communications," said Barry O'Sullivan, senior vice president, voice technology group, Cisco. "Cisco Unified Communications Systems Release 7.0 sets a new standard for usability, interoperability and manageability. Cisco Unified Communications solutions continue to be the easiest to use, easiest to implement and easiest to manage."
Links / Images
- Synergy Research Post on Cisco Collaboration Blog
- Cisco Unified Communications Product Portfolio
- Cisco Collaboration Homepage
- Cisco Unified Communications Demos and Videos
- Unified Communications Overview
- Cisco Unified Communications Podcast Series
- Cisco Unified Communications Twitter Feed