Headline: New Cisco Aggregation Services Routers to Transform the Network Edge for Service Providers and EnterprisesMarch 04, 2008
Highlights / Key Facts:
Market Trends and Issues
- Mobile and telecommuting and mobile workforce increasing number of employees working outside of corporate headquarters, double digit growth (11 percent) of remote branch offices. All need access to corporate headquarters from anywhere, at anytime.
- Web 2.0 collaborative tools on the rise; shared cooperative applications, TelePresence, IP voice and video conferencing, IPTV - a key part of employee collaborative tools - create requirement for consistent and enhanced end user experience and prioritization of these applications over other network traffic.
- More and more services delivered over wide-area networks results in increased complexity and demand. More than 70 percent of the IDC survey respondents stated that they expect to increase bandwidth at corporate headquarters with 43 percent expecting increases of over 20 percent in the next 24 months.
Cisco Technology Leadership and Innovation
- With more than 42 patents filed on the Cisco Aggregation Services Router 1000 Series, and more than 20 years producing routers to connect networks together, Cisco has more experience, expertise and partnerships in developing intelligent networks than any other company.
- The Cisco Aggregation Services Router 1000 Series was developed over the past 5 years by a team of 100+ of Cisco's top engineers.
Today's News: Cisco Aggregation Services Router 1000 Series
- The Cisco Aggregation Services Router (ASR) 1000 Series defines a new category of router by providing both service providers and enterprises with industry-leading performance, built-in services, reliability, and network simplification in a compact form factor.
- For service providers, the Cisco ASR 1000 Series enables more flexible, efficient, and cost-effective delivery of complex "any play" (voice, video, data and mobility) consumer and business services.
- For enterprises, the Cisco ASR 1000 Series empowers a network and business focal point at corporate headquarters where information, communication, collaboration and commerce converge.
- The Cisco ASR 1000 Series is powered by the new Cisco QuantumFlow Processor (QFP), the industry's most advanced networking chipset.
Cisco Aggregation Services Router 1000 Series Facts
- A single Cisco ASR 1000 Series can:
- recover from a service outage faster than a single flap of a hummingbird's wings.
- provide a highly secure connection to every city in the world with a population larger than 150,000.
- provide every person in a 60,000-employee company with his or her own individual broadcast channel.
- A standard service provider rack of Cisco ASRs can:
- provide highly secure, high quality Internet service to every man, woman and child in a city the size of Frankfurt, Germany.
- transmit the collected works of Shakespeare 5,250 times every second.
- The Cisco QuantumFlow Processor can:
- process 24,000,000 instructions in the time it takes an average person to blink.
- provide equivalent processing power to 20 dual-core servers, using 10 times less space and 38,990 fewer kilowatt-hours per year.
Tags / Keywords: Cisco, router, ASR, ASR 1000, QuantumFlow
Links / URLs:
- Uber Users Campaign: www.cisco.com/uberusers
- Edge Quest Game: http://tools.cisco.com/GCT/PCTPST/game_public/CiscoGameMCP.jsp
- YouTube Community: http://www.youtube.com/user/uberusers
- Facebook Group: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=8132918757
- Second Life Island: http://slurl.com/secondlife/Cisco%20Systems%204/47/33/21/
- Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9204105@N07/sets/72157604004437968/
Quotes: "Next Generation Networks will enable a broad range of services in a wide variety of combinations, many requiring high-quality, high-definition, bidirectional communication to meet customer demands. In contrast to conventional best-effort approaches, we believe it will be necessary for the edge of network to perform dynamic quality control to flexibly and securely enable aggregation of traffic from broadband services and converged communications," says Nippon Telegraph and Telephone Communication (NTT), Executive Vice President, Shin Hashimoto. "The Cisco ASR 1000 Series is expected to provide the functions essential for such IP NGNs in a flexible and scalable manner, with the high availability that we and our customers demand."
"We operate IT systems for our customers that are critical for their core business processes. So non-stop operations are an extremely important issue for us. We are witnessing an increased demand on highly secure, scalable, and reliable IT infrastructure services," said Bardo Werum, vice president of Cross-Industries and Operation at Lufthansa Systems. "The Cisco ASR 1000 Series helps us meet those demands. For example, the 'in service software update' feature offers great improvements towards non-stop operations."
"Wachovia's wide area networks are undergoing a series of significant transformations to incorporate new technologies and new services that underpin delivery of information to our associates and customers," said John Burns, vice president of network services for Wachovia. "The Cisco ASR 1000 Series is uniquely positioned to blend a very positive TCO with flexibility and innovation to support not only our current requirements, but those that we are just beginning to envision. Scalability, security and reliability are three areas where we look to the Cisco ASR 1000 Series as a ground-breaking platform."
"With respect to flexibility in the network, the Cisco ASR 1000 is unsurpassed, incorporating new technologies to support rapid business innovation, without having to rethink network platform decisions," said Pankaj Patel, senior vice president and general manager of the Cisco Service Provider Technology Group. "Any comparable configuration would not only cost much more, but require more rack space, consume more power, and require additional blades or network appliances in order to equal the capabilities that are already integrated into this compact, multi-purpose router."
Embedded Audio, Video and Images:Cisco Uber Users CampaignCisco Announces a Quantum Shift in Networking in Second Life
Cisco ASR and Quantum Flow Processor
Cisco Aggregation Services Router (ASR) defines a new category of router by offering industry-leading performance, built-in services, reliability, and network simplification in a compact form factor. Watch video
Video: Cisco Moves to a New Era (Highlights Will Eatherton, Michael Beesley and Stefan Dyckerhoff)
Company goes back to the drawing board to rewrite the book on routers; a device that will make the transition to 21st century communications quite a bit easier.Watch video
Podcast: Cisco Moves to a New Era (Highlights Will Eatherton, Michael Beesley and Stefan Dyckerhoff)
Company goes back to the drawing board to rewrite the book on routers; a device that will make the transition to 21st century communications quite a bit easier.Listen to podcast
Transforming the Network Edge
Lufthansa Systems enhances its network performance, scalability and flexibility at the edge and with Cisco Systems' first multipurpose edge routers, the ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers Watch video
Staying a Step Ahead of Change
Wachovia's VP of Network Services commends Cisco, the QuantumFlow Processor, and the ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers Watch video
Innovation Enables Innovation
Texas Instruments CIO talks about accelerating the pace of change with the ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers Watch video
Corporation (NTT) and Cisco Deliver New Services
Japan's Corporation (NTT) deploys new Cisco ASR 1000 Series routers to deliver advanced serviceshttp://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps9343/ntt_video_case_study.html.
Traditional Press Release: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2008/prod_030408.html
RSS Feed for Company: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Date/Time Stamp: March 4, 2008 6:30a.m. PST
Trackback URL: http:newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2008/prod_030408b.html