Certification Portfolio Updates and Expansions Help Learners Prepare for In-Demand Job Roles and Enable Organizations to Stay Ahead of Talent GapsJuly 29, 2014
SAN JOSE, Calif., July 29, 2014 – The Internet of Everything (IoE) continues to bring together people, processes, data and things at an unparalleled rate. As IT organizations adapt to address new opportunities, success increasingly depends on whether IT and networking professionals gain the knowledge and skills essential to fulfill evolving industry job roles. Today, Cisco announced a major revision of the CCNP® Routing and Switching certification; introduced specialist certifications pertaining to network programmability, the Internet of Things (IoT) and business transformation; and revealed other enterprise solutions training in collaboration. These offerings help enterprise professionals overcome challenges surrounding technology transitions and the demands for producing stronger business outcomes.
Dramatic technology transitions, business pressures for higher productivity, and the rising globalization and consumerization of IT are reshaping the nature of network and IT infrastructure job roles and associated skills. Technology innovations in automation, analytics and software-defined networking will result in systems that are easier to deploy, operate and evolve. Reskilling and comprehensive staff education across technical and business disciplines are also needed to manage risks and deliver innovative solutions for business transformation. Finally, continuous and extensive collaboration, within IT groups and among IT and Line of Business employees, are required to create superior IT-driven business outcomes.
Today’s launch underscores Cisco’s commitment to delivering high-impact certification and training programs for IT and OT networking professionals and learners. New offerings help workers gain capabilities essential for performing critical activities now, while also building the expertise needed to successfully perform future IT, OT and networking roles.
CCNP Routing and Switching Certification:
- As enterprises evolve to accommodate market and technology transitions, the role of the traditional network engineer will also transform. The Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) Routing and Switching certification update is designed to keep pace with evolving job roles. The updates will provide learners with more current and forward looking educational topics, such as IPv6 addressing workforce mobility and the proliferation of Internet-connected devices while supporting network scale and accommodating the continued growth of IoE.
Network Programmability Specialists:
- Open networks have become an integral part of IT conversations globally. As this technology evolves, the opening up of the network and the network’s virtualization will help organizations focus more on automation, creating new job roles while making routine networking tasks easier.
- Business Application Engineer, Network Application Developer, Network Programmability Design Specialist and Network Programmability Engineer job roles are emerging in the marketplace. To help enterprises benefit further from automation and keep pace with the changes involved in network design and operation, Cisco is introducing four Network Programmability Specialist certifications. These job-role oriented accreditations support technical staff in more closely integrating networking with business applications.
Cisco Industrial Networking Specialist:
- The convergence of Information and Operational Technologies is expanding IP Networking and Ethernet connectivity on the industrial plant floor. This creates demand for skilled professionals who understand three-way interactions among IT, networking and traditional control systems. Control system engineers and plant technicians will need to be reskilled on networking in order to do their jobs without stoppages or downtime.
- In order to help scale IoT, it is currently estimated that 220,000 IT/OT engineers are needed every year. The Cisco Industrial Networking Specialist Certification is the first step that Cisco and its partners are taking to address the skills gap challenge in the IoT arena.
Cisco Enterprise IT Business Specialist:
- Most technology initiatives are driven by an underlying business goal. Organizations are transforming business models and creating new digital strategies to maintain a competitive advantage, drive growth, gain flexibility and manage risk. CIOs and their HR staff seek technology professionals who understand business priorities, can maximize the financial benefits from IT investments and have the ability to communicate in terms familiar to business decision-makers. Certified Enterprise IT Business Specialists are able to distinguish themselves among peers, as effective role models who drive IT-enabled business transformation.
- The Cisco Enterprise IT Business Specialist certification provides technical candidates with a holistic set of skills. Related training helps mid-level IT professionals make stronger contributions to business-focused activities and decisions. Candidates gain knowledge and techniques enabling them to better understand how to define, design, implement and support IT projects, either within central IT or a Line of Business unit. The certification validates that candidates can understand business needs, appreciate the financial costs and benefits of an IT solution, identify actions to gain broader adoption of IT capabilities, plus influence and communicate effectively with business leaders.
Cisco Unified Contact Center Enterprise Training:
- In order to deliver the most efficient and effective IT-driven business outcomes, collaboration within the IT organization and between IT and business employees will be required. The Cisco Unified Contact Center Enterprise (UCCE) v10.0 Training helps learners to design, configure and deploy a leading and effective customer collaboration solution with integrated cloud and mobility features and APIs.
- Zeus Kerravala, founder and principal analyst, ZK Research: “Cisco’s approach to technology innovation in the areas of automation, analytics and software-defined networking, or network programmability, results in systems that will be easier for organizations to deploy, operate, use and evolve. Following this innovation with comprehensive staff education, across both technical and business disciplines, will ensure IT organizations are getting the most from every IT staff member, as well as the technical systems and business processes they direct.”
- Gary Pearsons, vice president and general manager, Customer Support and Maintenance Business, Rockwell Automation: “Manufacturers looking to establish a connected industrial enterprise require the ability to integrate information across IT and control systems. Cisco’s announcement aligns with the need for collaboration between both the IT and operations organizations, driving the most effective and efficient enterprise-wide business outcomes. The Industrial Networking Specialist certification further expands the portfolio of products, solutions and services our customers can experience today through our collaboration with Cisco.”
- Jeanne Beliveau-Dunn, vice president and general manager, Learning@Cisco: “Over the past several years, our customers have seen constant pressure to use IT as a strategic lever to produce new outcomes for their businesses. They are looking for outcomes of increased productivity, faster growth and innovation as they globalize, and to mobilize their operations while better serving the digital consumer. This is leading to a rapid evolution in the way technology is implemented by organizations. In addition, the IoE continues to network people, processes, data and things, widening an already present skills gap. What we are seeing today is a new model of IT, one that is simple, smart and secure. As networks continue to accelerate along with IT metrics on all fronts, innovation, education and collaboration will be instrumental in preparing the workforce of tomorrow. The certification and training updates, along with the new specialist certifications being announced today, are designed to enable IT personnel to both add value to their skillsets and drive business value for their employers, helping eliminate the skills gap while preparing today’s workforce for tomorrow’s job roles.”
- For more detailed information, including exam topics, please visit: http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/landing/outcomes.html
- Cisco Press has a complete and comprehensive suite of official learning solutions for the new CCNP Routing & Switching exams. New products include Foundation Learning and Official Certification Guides, Premium eBook & Practice Tests, Video Tutorials, Libraries, Exam Practice Packs, and Portable Command Guides. Visit http://ciscopress.com/ccnp
Social Media Destinations:
- Twitter: www.twitter.com/learningatcisco
- Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Cisco-Career-Certifications/111552132193668
- LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=3443017
- YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/cisco
- RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco’s trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.