LOS ANGELES – April 29, 2014 – At The Cable Show 2014 in Los Angeles this week, Cisco is showcasing new innovations to its video technology portfolio that will ignite growth and drive new revenue opportunities for cable operators and broadcasters. Milestone announcements include comprehensive advancements to Cisco's access architecture for cable operators and making Cisco's service provider customer premise equipment (CPE) routing software available in open-source format. These innovations and more will be demonstrated in Hall H at Cisco booth #1323 in the Los Angeles Convention Center.
News Highlights and Key Demonstrations:
Cisco Delivers New Access Architecture for Cable Operators
At The Cable Show 2014, Cisco is demonstrating the extension of Cisco's Service Provider architecture for cable operators to deliver more bandwidth, higher service tiers and greater agility in deploying new applications, while lowering operational expenses. In addition to new DOCSIS and optical networking capabilities, Cisco's latest innovations apply the Software-Defined Networking (SDN) and virtualization technologies recently introduced in the Cisco Evolved Services Platform (ESP) to virtualize, integrate and automate cable operators' access architecture.
Cisco will be demonstrating key elements of the Service Provider architecture for cable operators at the Cisco booth #1323. Additional information can also be found here.
Cisco to Provide Foundation for New Open-Source Framework for Broadband Services
Cisco is also announcing that it will make its service provider customer premise equipment (CPE) routing software available in open-source format. Among the beneficiaries will be the RDK Management, LLC for use with the Reference Design Kit (RDK) on future devices other than set-top boxes, such as modems, routers or converged gateways. Cisco's proven service provider home routing technology will help to expand the use of open-source software by service providers, consumer electronics manufacturers and system on a chip (SoC) vendors, and enable them to deliver new, next-generation IP-based services to subscriber homes. Additional information about Cisco's service provider CPE can be found here.
Additional Cisco Demonstrations at The Cable Show 2014:
At the Cisco booth, show attendees will be able to witness breakthrough demonstrations, several involving the company's industry-leading Videoscape TV services delivery platform, that showcase Cisco's leadership in enabling Pay TV providers to deliver amazing new video experiences to consumers. These demonstrations include:
- Cisco will highlight its latest offerings for cloud and services-based Videoscape implementations that increase agility for the delivery of exciting new services for consumers, while opening new monetization opportunities for operators. Demonstrations include existing and future applications such as cloud DVR, next-generation second screen experiences, and end-to-end 4K delivery on Videoscape.
Videoscape Client Software:
- These demonstrations include RDK implementations on devices beyond the set-top box, such as converged gateways; Videoscape Open UX; and some exciting new initiatives in this area. Cisco will also highlight the latest capabilities of Videoscape Snowflake, the most engaging, innovative and immersive video user experience on the market today.
- Cisco will showcase new Connected Life solutions that help operators expand into new services, such as energy management. Embracing the Internet of Everything (IoE), these new revenue opportunities are being made possible in partnership with adjacent industries.
Advanced Advertising Solutions:
- Cisco will focus on advanced advertising services, such as contextual advertising, and show how they can help service providers and media companies monetize their offerings and convert viewership into revenue opportunities.
Cisco Prime for Cable Operators:
- This demonstration presents Cisco's end-to-end management solution for IP next-generation networks, mobility, video and business services, accelerating service design and deployment, while increasing the monetization of the network.
Cisco Speakers at NCTA Cable Show 2014:
- First-Person: Influencers and Innovators on the Future of Media, Thursday, May 1, 10 – 11:15 a.m., Location: West Hall; Rob Lloyd, President, Development & Sales, Cisco, panelist.
- Scale Tale: A Forward View of Cable's Data Network Architecture, Tuesday, April 29, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m., Location: Room 403B; Pawel Sowinski, Senior Technical Leader, Cisco, panelist.
- Doing Just Phyne: Bandwidth Increases for Cable Networks, Tuesday, April 29, 2 – 3:15 p.m., Location: 403B; John Chapman, CTO, Cable Access Business Unit & Cisco Fellow, Cisco, panelist.
- From CDNS to Streaming Clouds: Advanced Approaches for Video Delivery, Wednesday, April 30, 8 – 9:30 a.m., Location: 403B; John Horrobin, Manager, Cable Access Business Unit, Cisco, panelist.
- Redefining the Network: SDN, Virtualization and Service Velocity, Wednesday, April 30, 4 – 5 p.m., Location: 406AB; John Chapman, CTO, Cable Access Business Unit & Cisco Fellow, Cisco will serve as the moderator. Panelists include Alon Bernstein, Principal Engineer, Cisco; Chris Donley, Director, Network Technologies, CableLabs; Jeff Finkelstein, Senior Director, Network Architecture, Cox Communications; and Kevin Noll, Principal Engineer, Time Warner Cable.
- When TV Speaks IP: The Transition to a New Video Environment, Thursday, May 1, 8 – 9:30 a.m., Location: 403B; Sangeeta Ramakrishnan, Principal Engineer, Cisco, panelist.
Imagine Park Sessions:
- Internet Of Thingamajigs, Tuesday, April 29, 11:45 a.m.– 12:30 p.m., Location: Imagine Park, Booth 1837; JT Taylor, Senior Manager, Product Marketing, SP Video Technology Group, Cisco, presenter.
- The Dream Screen, Tuesday, April 29, 12:45 – 1:30 p.m., Location: Imagine Park, Booth 1837; Olivier Lacour, Senior Design Director, SP Video Technology Group, Cisco, presenter.
- New Revenue Rainmakers, Thursday, May 1, 1 – 1:45 p.m., Location: Imagine Park, Booth 1837; Adam Davies, Solution Product Manager, Advertising, Cisco, presenter.
- Joe Cozzolino, Senior Vice President, General Manager, Service Provider Video Infrastructure
"The broad array of solutions Cisco is introducing at this year's Cable Show represent our commitment to service providers and broadcasters, enabling them to scale and monetize their businesses. The expansion of Service Provider architecture for cable operators empowers our customers to deliver more bandwidth and deploy new services with greater agility and reliability, while decreasing costs. By embracing the Cisco Evolved Services Platform, we are helping our customers future-proof their businesses as we move into the Gigabit, and even Terabit, eras."
Additional Supporting Resources
- Read Cisco's latest news
- Read Cisco's SP360 Blog series, Cisco at NCTA 2014: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow us on the Cisco Service Provider LinkedIn page for targeted updates and announcements
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed
Tags/Keywords: Cisco, NCTA, NCTA 2014, The Cable Show, The Cable Show 2014, SDN, Gigabit fiber, Cisco ONE, UltraHD, encoding, broadcasters, cloud, cloud video, IP, IP Video, Joe Cozzolino, Videoscape, TV Everywhere, service provider, cable operator, TV, Pay TV, Pay TV provider
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #