IBC, Amsterdam, Netherlands - 7 September 2012 – SBB-Telemach Group, the largest pay TV platform in southeast Europe providing television, Internet, and telephony services, has selected the Cisco Videoscape™-capable Personal DVB Set-Tops (PDS) Series and Cisco® Integration Services to deliver next-generation television services.
The comprehensive, flexible technology platform will enable SBB-Telemach Group to deliver high-definition (HD) and Internet Protocol (IP) television services – including browser-based, intuitive user interfaces, video on demand (VOD) and new services like catch-up and time-shift TV. These advance services leverage the service provider’s existing infrastructure based on the Cisco Videoscape Distribution Suite (VDS).
- SBB-Telemach Group is one of the region’s leading providers of television, Internet and telephony services, with approximately 1.5 million subscribers across the markets of former Yugoslavia.
- The PDS Series is designed to deliver the next generation of consumer experiences with TV services such as VOD and time-shift TV, over-the-top video, social TV, advanced content search, recommendations, and second-screen adaptability when connected to the service-provider-managed IP network.
- The PDS Series, which consists of both the PDS2000 and PDS3000 models, can be adapted to support cable, terrestrial, wireline, satellite and hybrid IP video infrastructures worldwide. The open platform is capable of supporting various conditional access and middleware options, including Cisco PowerKEY® and NDS VideoGuard®.
- The PDS Series offers subscribers the latest enhancements in cable television and unicast/multicast IP network viewing. The series features MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 video processing and provides digital broadcast, digital interactive and digital video recording (DVR) services
- The PDS Series is fully compliant with EU energy consumption standards, continuing Cisco's track-record of leadership in energy efficiency in networked products.
- Cisco Services was selected as the systems integrator for the program, taking responsibility over all necessary third-party components and guaranteeing service launch velocity and quality of experience. Cisco Services built on the previous successful deployment of the head-end and complete VOD solution, including the video back office and a content delivery platform.
- Lab testing is currently under way with Serbia Broadband, with deployment expected to begin in autumn 2012. SBB-Telemach Group will be deploying the PDS2000 Series models with Cisco PowerKEY conditional access to deliver high-quality, next-generation television services.
Dragica Pilipovic Chaffey, CEO, Serbia Broadband, commented:
“Next-generation television services are a major focus as we look to build our growing subscriber base, both in Serbia and internationally. When we were looking for a technology partner, Cisco’s track record of working with partners to successfully launch video services in multiple markets, combined with the company’s commitment to an open-standards software architecture, made it the obvious choice. I am confident that this solution will allow SBB-Telemach Group to deliver world-class television services.”
Edwin Paalvast, senior vice president, Service Provider Group, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Russia, Cisco, commented:
“Consumers are increasingly expecting cable operators to deliver more than just traditional television services. The growth of online video and changing viewer behaviours mean that advanced services such as intelligent user interfaces, on-demand content and social media integration are becoming ever more important. The Cisco Videoscape platform will help SBB-Telemach Group bring innovation to television services faster and more cost-effectively, which will benefit consumers in Serbia and across South East Europe.”
- Cisco Service Provider: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns341/networking_solutions_service_provider_home.html
- The Connected Life at Home: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/netsol/ns934/networking_solutions_market_segment_solution.html
Cisco, Service Provider, PDS, broadband, video, VOD,Catch-Up TV, StartOver TV, time shift TV, Systems Integration, set-top, PowerKEY, VDS, M-PEG 4, on-demand, television, social networking, app stores, advanced search, recommendations
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
About SBB-Telemach Group
SBB and Telemach form the leading regional Pay TV platforms in South East Europe, offering cable television, Internet, telephony and DTH services to approximately 1.5 million subscribers across the markets of former Yugoslavia. With unmatched reach via cable and DTH in the region, the group companies have established the reputation for the most attractive content on their respective markets available across all devices and formats. Good deals and bundles are supported with an innovative and reliable technology. The group companies also offer data and voice services for small, medium and large companies.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Europe is provided by Cisco Systems International B.V. and Cisco International Limited, wholly owned subsidiaries of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.