Demonstration Includes Implementation of 4K Ultra HD Content on RDKSeptember 13, 2013
Amsterdam, NETHERLANDS – IBC Stand 1.A71, Sept 13 – 17 - At IBC 2013 Cisco will showcase its Cisco Videoscape™ software solution on RDK, including implementation of 4K Ultra HD content on the RDK.
The Reference Design Kit (RDK) is a pre-integrated software bundle developed and licensed to create a common framework for powering IP or hybrid set-top boxes and gateway devices for CE manufacturers, SoC vendors and other software developers, system integrators, and TV service providers. The RDK was developed to accelerate the deployment of next-generation video services and prevent software fragmentation by providing speed-to-market, collaboration and standardization. Supported by more than 100 licensees, RDK Management, LLC was formed as a joint venture between Comcast Cable and Time Warner Cable.
Cisco’s Videoscape software solution on RDK provides an end-to-end approach that realises the capabilities of the RDK to implement industry-leading functionality in a modular way.
- At IBC, Cisco will showcase a number of demonstrations utilizing the RDK, including implementation of 4K Ultra HD content on the RDK.
Cisco’s Videoscape software solution for the RDK enables operators to accelerate the creation of advanced client platforms with a range of advanced client technologies, including:
- Cisco Open UX Snowflake™, enabling a premium, adaptable user experience utilising HTLM5
- Cloud DVR capability, optimising the industry’s leading DVR software, with the benefits of the cloud
- VideoGuard® advanced content protection, including conditional access (CA) and digital rights management (DRM)
- Videoscape OpenRG™ broadband residential gateway software
- TR-069 client and connected home management via integration with Cisco Prime™
- Videoscape Open API™ integration
- Cisco’s vast experience in integrating pay-TV solutions uniquely positions it as a key partner for RDK implementation.
- With a modular, services-led approach, Cisco helps solve the pay-TV operator’s most important business challenges – whatever their requirements.
Steve Reynolds, SVP Customer Premise Equipment and Home Networking, Comcast Cable
“The RDK platform continues to scale, as more technology vendors and operator applications support this collaborative development approach. Cisco is helping to advance the platform by showcasing at IBC a variety of RDK products, including real set-top boxes running 4K Ultra HD content on the RDK.”
Jesper Andersen, SVP & GM Service Provider Video Software, Cisco:
“Expertise in integration is key to enabling an RDK solution that provides true agility. With the right combination of hardware, software and an integrated services approach we believe in the power of the RDK to drive collaborative innovation in the industry. We pride ourselves on our open approach to technology and are excited by the potential that RDK brings.”