SAN JOSE, Calif., March 18, 2013 – Cisco today announced that Kansas Fiber Network (KFN), a consortium of 29 carriers across the state of Kansas, has upgraded its next-generation packet optical network, providing up to 100 Gigabit per second (100 G) speeds using Cisco's carrier packet transport and coherent optical DWDM technology. This network enhancement enables KFN to more easily scale to meet growing customer demands for Ethernet, mobile backhaul and high-speed private line services, and allows for the seamless delivery of popular mobile content such as high-definition video, mobile applications and collaboration tools.
The KFN deployment will also help provide rural areas in the state with cost-effective, high-speed Internet access and ultimately reduce the cost of applications, such as distance learning and telemedicine, and increase economic growth.
- KFN provides data, optical transport and IP-based services to wireless and wireline telecommunication carriers across its 2,700-route mile statewide network.
- While KFN's infrastructure was originally engineered for 10 G services, Cisco's 100 G coherent DWDM solution was implemented on existing infrastructure and required no fiber replacement.
- Cisco carrier packet transport technology unifies both packet and transport domains, helping KFN reduce its operating costs while supporting both existing and new data optimized services.
- The 100 G DWDM solution is based on coherent optical technology, powered by Cisco's nLight™ Silicon. It provides the capability to transmit up to 100 G wavelengths over fully uncompensated networks, up to 3,000 km optical spans. Utilizing an advanced modulation scheme and enhanced forward error correction enables KFN to use its existing fiber plant investments while delivering maximum performance, especially on marginal or impaired fiber segments.
- The solution is based on Cisco's Next Generation Internet architecture and is designed to provide both businesses and end users with new experiences which are more mobile, more virtual and more visual.
- Demonstrating the increasing role of the network in people's lives, the most recent Cisco® Visual Networking Index Forecast indicates that global IP traffic has increased eightfold during the past five years, and will increase threefold during the next five years.
Steven Dorf, president, Kansas Fiber Network
"Cisco's 100 G technology has allowed us to easily makeover our existing network, and provides a foundation to help fuel economic growth across the entire state with particular focus on rural areas. This DWDM technology provides high-speed Internet access and will help reduce the cost for Kansas businesses and organizations to offer increasingly popular mobile applications such as distance learning and telemedicine."
Bill Gartner, vice president and general manager, High End Routing and Optical Business Unit, Cisco
"The explosive growth of video content, collaboration technologies and distributed computing, along with the demands of hyper-connected consumers, has necessitated the development of ultra-high speed networks. Our 100 G coherent DWDM nLight technology allows operators to utilize their network infrastructure investments while delivering industry-leading performance and port density. We are pleased to continue working closely with KFN to help enable its customers to meet their long-term business objectives."
Cisco Visual Networking Index home page: http://www.cisco.com/go/vni
Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2010-2
Read: Cisco SP360 Blog
Cisco, Carrier Ethernet, Edge, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, KFN, Cisco Carrier Packet Transport
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
About KFN Network
Kansas Fiber Network, LLC. provides broadband, transport, and tandem switch services to Government Agencies, and Higher Education Institutions, and Communications Services Providers throughout rural Kansas. All services are delivered via our state-of-the-art, 2700 route mile fiber optic network, utilizing the latest generation of Dense Wave Division Multiplexing (DWDM) technologies.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.