SAN JOSE, Calif. – February 26, 2015 – Cisco today announced that Telefónica (Movistar), the largest mobile operator in Spain, has launched a new Innovation Initiative powered by Cisco® technology called “LTE In A Box.” Based on the Cisco Premium Mobile Broadband (PMB) architecture and Virtual Packet Core (VPC) platform, and integrated in existing developments of Telefónica’s core services, LTE In a Box is a small-footprint, all-IP mobile broadband mobility solution suited to enterprises with specific coverage, performance or control requirements beyond the capabilities of public LTE networks.
- With global organizations continuing to transform operations around IP networks and with machine-to-machine (M2M) connectivity proliferating to take advantage of new Internet of Everything (IoE) monetization opportunities, mobile broadband is a key requirement in these transformations, with LTE widely seen as a key enabling technology.
- With enterprise verticals being an area of focus and growth for Telefónica, this new LTE In A Box solution provides the ability to build and manage cost-effective private LTE Networks, delivering carrier-grade infrastructure at an enterprise price point. The solution can scale from the data center to the small server room, and down to the back of a vehicle if necessary. The service has the added advantage of integrating and supporting both LTE and 3G/UMTS voice and data functionality, providing customers the ability to immediately activate LTE services or seamlessly evolve to them from a 3G/UMTS base.
- The solution combines integrated network applications such as Cisco VPC StarOS Software, including HnBGW, S/GGSN, MME, SAE Gateway, Voice over Long-Term Evolution (VoLTE), and Voice over Wi-Fi (VoWiFi). Telefónica’s LTE in a Box provides a versatile network and communications solution capable of supporting high availability voice, video and data services within a range of enterprise use-cases. For example, mining companies can now provide mission-critical voice and app coverage for employees, operations can be monitored through mobile HD video and machinery can be remotely operated and coordinated by M2M communications with guaranteed QoS. Similar benefits apply to other verticals such as oil and gas, logistics and public safety, but can be harnessed by almost any large-scale business or public sector operation.
- The Telefónica LTE In A Box Solution (powered by Cisco with collaboration of Quortus Ltd), is an ideal offering to service these and other industry telecommunications needs and will be on display in the Telefónica Mobile World Congress Booth, located at the at the Fira Gran Via, Barcelona, Spain, Hall 3, booth 3J20 on March 2 -5, 2015.
A sampling of some of the use cases on display will be:
o IoE / M2M and data services
o HD video surveillance
o Corporate LTE employee voice calling on private LTE infrastructure
o Network performance and monitoring, including QoS, Delay, Bandwidth, jitter, access control, etc.
o LTE/3G functionality and connectivity
- Manuel Fernández Daza, Director of Innovation and Network Services at Telefónica Spain:
This Innovation Initiative is the latest in a number of steps that we are taking to ensure our position as the most advanced communications company in Spain. Our aim is to bring the most from LTE technology to our corporate customer. This will enable us to provide not only the full efficiency, speed and reliability of LTE, but the possibility for fully customized networks and dedicated services on top of them, such as LTE intranets, support for critical industrial processes, closed group communications, and so forth. With the support of a world-leading partner in Cisco, we are excited by the possibilities these new forms of connectivity are opening up for our business customers.”
- Joe Cozzolino, Cisco SVP/GM Mobility Business Group:
“Telefónica has a record of delivering innovation focused on customer requirements, and ‘LTE In A Box’ brings customers closer to the complete mobile experience. It is an excellent example of how virtualization and mobility can combine to provide service providers entry into new market opportunities, particularly in the enterprise and industrial spaces. We are delighted to be working with Telefónica and look forward to developing leading-edge industry solutions together.”
Telefónica is one of the largest telecommunications companies in the world in terms of market capitalisation and number of customers. With its best in class mobile, fixed and broadband networks, and innovative portfolio of digital solutions, Telefónica is transforming itself into a ‘Digital Telco’, a company that will be even better placed to meet the needs of its customers and capture new revenue growth.
The company has a significant presence in 21 countries and a customer base that amounts more than 316.1 million accesses around the world. Telefónica has a strong presence in Spain, Europe and Latin America, where the company focuses an important part of its growth strategy.
Telefónica is a 100% listed company, with 1.5 million direct shareholders. Its capital traded on the continuous market on the Spanish Stock Exchanges (Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao and Valencia) and on those of London, New York, Lima and Buenos Aires.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.