San Jose, Calif., March 11, 2014 – Cisco today announced that RST Fiber, a company that develops and manages state-of-the-art fiber-optic networks, is using Cisco’s end-to-end network infrastructure solution to deliver 100 Gigabit (Gbps) connectivity in a new statewide network in North Carolina. RST’s high-speed, programmable network features the new Cisco® Evolved Programmable Network (EPN) infrastructure, which combines a variety of cutting edge network and data center infrastructure technologies, including optical and carrier-grade IPv6 solutions.
North Carolina is home to one of the United States’ most renowned technology hubs, yet some businesses and residents in rural regions of the state only have limited Internet access. Mitigating these connectivity issues and preparing networks for complex traffic patterns brought on by the burgeoning growth of application-centric platforms is critical to strengthening North Carolina’s reputation as a prime destination for economic development, education and ongoing technology developments. The Cisco EPN allows RST to reliably and seamlessly deliver a variety of services, including wired and wireless broadband and uncompressed 4K video to businesses and residents throughout North Carolina. It also paves the way for programmable networks capable of accelerating service turn-up and delivering personalized service offerings in the areas of online education, telemedicine, smart grid, transport and others.
According to the Cisco Mobile Visual Networking Index, global mobile data traffic grew 81 percent in 2013, thanks largely to the increasing number of Machine to Machine (M2M) devices and growing use of cloud and video. By partnering with the leader in advanced Internet Protocol (IP) and optical networking solutions, RST delivers the scalable capacity and programmability critical to accelerating innovation across a number of North Carolina industries, including technology, healthcare and education.
The Cisco EPN is also optimized for complex and dynamic over-the-top (OTT) and cloud services, providing RST with the flexible foundation needed to direct traffic – spontaneously and in real time – and significantly improve business operations. Additionally, by partnering with Cisco, RST will provide faster and more flexible networks, deliver personalized services and deploy technology features such as carrier-class Wi-Fi and IPv6 content delivery networks (CDN).
Technology Highlights/Key Facts:
- Evolved Programmable Network Infrastructure: The Cisco EPN enables the networked connection of people, processes, data and things, otherwise known as the Internet of Everything (IoE). The Cisco EPN is the foundation of the Cisco Open Network Environment, enabling service providers to bring the value of the network to applications, while setting the stage for new business models, revenues and profits. The Cisco EPN is designed to form a unified fabric to converge edge, core and data center functions using Cisco’s industry-leading software defined networking (SDN), network functions virtualization (NFV) and service orchestration portfolio of technologies, delivering new experiences over the IoE.
- Cisco Network Convergence System (NCS 2000): Connects DWDM transport networks at rates of up to 100 Gbps and beyond and supports dynamic network configurability with 96-channel, next-generation intelligent ROADM capabilities.
- Advanced IP and optical networking: Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Router provides the initial foundation of the RST network infrastructure, connecting end customers to services of up to 100 Gbps integrated optical links. Cisco is the industry leader in integrating routing and optical technologies, enabling RST to build networks that are simpler and more cost-effective and accelerate delivery of new cloud services.
- End-to-end IPv6: Cisco’s IPv6 leadership enables the RST vision of all-IPv6 networking, positioning the company at the forefront of this market transition. Additionally, the IPv6 network enables RST to deliver IoE applications.
- nLight Control Plane: This technology provides RST with a close integration of its IP and optical layers, resulting in an increase in service velocity, improvements in network resiliency and decreased operating expenses.
Dan Limerick, chief executive officer, RST
“There’s an insatiable appetite from all types of businesses, content suppliers and consumers for increased high-speed network access and bandwidth capacity, as well as a demand for more Internet of Everything applications. As an IoE leader, Cisco is an ideal partner as we evolve our networks to become more programmable and IoE-ready. Partnering with Cisco not only helps us close the ‘Last Mile,’ it provides the foundation needed to build an increasingly attractive business environment and solidify North Carolina as a hotbed of technology innovation.”
Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, Service Provider Networking Group, Cisco
“Cisco architects networks with the programmability, intelligence and scalability needed to meet the demands of today and tomorrow. Partnering with RST combines the best elements of optical, routing and cloud to drive connectivity and innovation throughout North Carolina, and provide a foundation for the EPN of tomorrow.”
- Cisco Systems
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series
- Cisco NCS 2000 Series
- Cisco Evolved Programmable Network
- Cisco Open Network Environment
- Cisco Visual Networking Index home page: http://www.cisco.com/go/vni
- Read: Cisco SP360 Blog
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
About RST Global
Based in Cleveland County, North Carolina, RST Global, LLC (RST), www.rstfiber.com, is a member-owned company formed in 2009 to construct and manage state-of-the-art all fiber-optic networks in communities within the southeastern U.S. In addition to typical services (TV, Internet and phone), plans include home and business surveillance high definition cameras and security, on-demand movie services and numerous à la carte offerings. The all fiber-optic network will also provide the foundation for Smart Grid technology, telemedicine, online education and other emerging applications. RST believes that fiber connected communities are America's future. Dedicated to quality, high performance and lower cost through Reliable Scalable Technologies, RST has made the commitment to provide its enterprise, business and residential customers a better choice.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.