LISBON, PORTUGAL-- 09/30/13 -- Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) and Portugal Telecom (NYSE: PT) today announced a strategic relationship engagement through which Cisco and PT — through its Information Services subsidiary PTSI and other PT affiliates — will collaborate on Cisco Smart+Connected solutions in several countries throughout Europe, Africa and South America. Cisco will work with PT and PTSI over the next three years to build out the smart solutions portfolio.
Cisco is collaborating with PT on a number of key initiatives, including: Smart Solutions, Smart Work Centers, Smart+Connected City Wi-Fi, Connected Transportation, and Sports and Entertainment.
By working together, both companies stand to benefit: Working with Cisco and its authorized partners, PT will be able to integrate the latest Cisco networking technologies and digital infrastructure designs into solutions that enrich its customers' experience worldwide. Cisco will not only benefit from the extension of market reach for its new IP-enabled smart services into a customer base that PT understands well and for whom it already holds credibility, but also the possibility to integrate some of PTs recent products.
- Smart Solutions: Workplace technology solutions--such as Smart+Connected Meeting Spaces, Smart+Connected Personalized Spaces, Smart+Connected Workplace, Smart+Connected buildings, iServices, IP video surveillance, energy management solutions, unified communications, video and collaboration--will deliver Smart services across the private (enterprise) and public sectors.
- Smart Work Centers: PT and Cisco will offer multiple public spaces across the community where people can work, meet and use shared services including highly secure wireless Internet access, Cisco TelePresence®, collaboration tools, and business services, including reception, catering and daycare. Employers can utilize these open workspaces to offer flexible work options to their employees while creating opportunities for new social and professional connections. Giving people a place to work and meet near home can also reduce commute time, fuel consumption, greenhouse gas emissions and traffic congestion.
- Smart+Connected City Wi-Fi: An integrated urban plan will enable information exchange between services, fulfilling the need for increased security, energy conservation, and the enhanced productivity of a digital lifestyle. Cisco will work with PT to deploy Wi-Fi architectural solutions in several cities worldwide.
- Connected Transportation, Sports and Entertainment: Cisco and PT will also facilitate the delivery of other vital community services, including multiple intelligent traffic management platforms to help reduce traffic congestion and pollution within the community, and provide a more seamless commuting and parking experience. Sports and entertainment options let fans connect with their favorite teams and with each other through interactive and personalized experiences.
Anil Menon, president, Smart+Connected Communities and Cisco deputy chief globalization officer: "PT is a natural partner for Cisco as it is fully aligned with positioning ICT as a strategic differentiator, putting technology at the foundation of its service offerings. Cisco is proud to collaborate with PT on initiatives that will help transform how cities and work spaces are built, managed and experienced."
Zeinal Bava, chief executive officer of PT Portugal and Oi SA: "This is a strategic partnership for PT Group. It represents the opportunity to create technical synergies and provide cloud services for Smart Cities. We strongly believe that through these services we will be able to positively contribute towards an efficiency increase in cities and companies, as well as in people's well-being. We are proud to consolidate this international growth strategy alongside Cisco."
- Gather information on the Cisco Smart+Connected Communities initiative and its reference architectures, solutions and services: http://www.cisco.com/go/smartconnectedcommunities
- Access the video series on Cities of the Future: http://newsroom.cisco.com/songdo
- Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSCC
- Follow Cisco Smart+Connected Communities on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CiscoSCC
- Subscribe to the RSS feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
About Portugal Telecom
Portugal Telecom is a global telecommunications operator with more than 100 million clients worldwide. In Portugal, where it holds a leading position in the markets in which operates, PT provides a broad portfolio of telecoms, multimedia and IT and fixed and mobile services, including broadband access, voice and television, acting in all segments of the telecommunications sector: personal, residential, enterprise solutions and wholesale. Portugal Telecom assumes itself as the leading Portuguese telecoms operator with a wide and solid international presence, particularly in Brazil and Africa. PT has a diversified business portfolio in which quality and innovation are key aspects, aiming at positioning PT as a leading-edge operator in the international arena.
Portugal Telecom is listed on the Euronext and New York Stock Exchanges, through a full listing of its ADR program, and is present in the reference Portuguese index and in the benchmark sustainability indexes, DJ Sustainability and FTSE4GOOD. Information about the company is available in Reuters via the code PTC.LS and PT and in Bloomberg via the code PTC PL. For more information, visit http://www.telecom.pt
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.