CALGARY, Alberta, Feb. 15, 2011 - Cisco, the official technology sponsor for the National Hockey League® (NHL), today announced it will be a sponsor of the 2011 Tim Hortons™ NHL Heritage Classic™. As part of the sponsorship, Cisco will be on-site at McMahon Stadium in Calgary on Feb. 19 and 20 to enrich the fan experience through Cisco TelePresence®.
On Sunday, Feb. 20, fans gathered at La Cage Aux Sports in the Bell Centre in Montreal will be connected by Cisco TelePresence technology with Calgary fans gathered at Spectator Plaza – the official fan festival taking place on the ground of the NHL Heritage Classic. The high-definition video collaboration system will allow fans to experience the spirit of the event, challenge each other with NHL® trivia, and chat with NHL alumni including Georges Laraque and Theo Fleury.
- The 2011 Tim Hortons™ NHL Heritage Classic™ pits Montreal against Calgary in Calgary's McMahon Stadium on Feb. 20. More than 40,000 fans are expected to be on hand.
- This year's game is the first outdoor game in Canada since the original NHL Heritage Classic, held Nov. 22, 2003, at Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium.
- Feb. 19: noon to 6 p.m. MST
- Register on-site to participate in the Cisco Air Hockey Challenge. Play for a chance to win a new NHL team-branded Flip Video® camera.
- Feb. 20: noon to 4 p.m. MST/2 p.m. to 6 p.m. EST
- Cisco Air Hockey Challenge
- Calgary/Montreal trivia challenge over a Cisco TelePresence connection. Montreal fans gathered at La Cage Aux Sports at the Bell Centre will be linked to the Spectator Plaza tent through a Cisco TelePresence endpoint. Fans from both cities will try to stump one another in a hockey trivia challenge, hosted by Georges Laraque in Montreal and Theo Fleury in Calgary.
- Can't be there in person? Follow Cisco on facebook (Cisco Canada) and Twitter (@ciscocanada) for updates on the event, who's there and much more.
- Cisco TelePresence technology creates a live, face-to-face communication experience over the network that empowers participants to collaborate like never before. Cisco TelePresence solutions help people meet, share content, create high-quality video recordings and events, consult with experts and deliver powerful personalized services, all using the power of the network for an immersive in-person experience.
- Cisco TelePresence services were also used at the 2009 NHL All-Star Game in Montreal to allow fans in the arena to chat with NHL players and alumni in the green room.
- David Lehanski, group vice president, National Hockey League
- Nitin Kawale, president, Cisco Canada
"We are thrilled to have Cisco as a sponsor of the 2011 Tim Hortons NHL Heritage Classic. We have the most tech-savvy fans in sports and, together with Cisco as our technology partner, we aim to give our fans access to NHL players, content and events no matter where they are. With Cisco TelePresence in the Spectator Plaza and Bell Centre, fans of the Flames and Canadiens can fuel their passion for the sport and join in the spirit of the event."
"Cisco is delighted to further demonstrate our ongoing relationship with the NHL as a strategic technology partner, helping the NHL develop new fan engagement opportunities. With Cisco TelePresence, we're looking forward to bringing Canadian fans together for a fun-filled weekend and generate some friendly-spirited rivalry."
About the NHL
The National Hockey League, founded in 1917, is the second-oldest of the four major professional team sports leagues in North America. Today, the NHL consists of 30 Member Clubs, each reflecting the League's international makeup, with players from more than 20 countries represented on team rosters. According to a Simmons Market Research study, NHL fans are younger, more educated, more affluent, and access content through digital means more than any other sport. The NHL entertains more than 250 million fans each season in-arena and through its partners in national television (VERSUS, NBC, TSN, CBC, RDS, RIS, NASN, ASN and NHL Network™) and radio (NHL Radio™, Sirius XM Radio and XM Canada). Through the NHL Foundation, the League's charitable arm, the NHL raises money and awareness for Hockey Fights Cancer™ and NHL Youth Development, and supports the charitable efforts of NHL players. For more information on the NHL, log on to NHL.com.