ITU, Geneva / ISTANBUL, Turkey – October 5, 2009 – Cisco and Openet today announced that Turkcell, Turkey's leading communications and technology company, has deployed a combined solution to provide a flexible charging system for its general packet radio service (GPRS) mobile data network. The joint solution from Cisco and Openet,which went live at mobile operator Turkcell in June 2009, introduces intelligence into the network to enable the real-time packet inspection, rating and billing of individual customers' mobile data usage. It helps the operator deliver and charge for pre- and post-paid data and next-generation services. As a result, Turkcell, which has a subscriber base of more than 36 million, is able to provide subscribers with several billing options: by application used, for combined services or by data bandwidth consumed.
Key Facts / Highlights:
- Openet's FusionWorksTM Convergent Charging solution deployed at Turkcell is combined with the following Cisco® technologies:
- Cisco Enhanced Gateway GPRS Support Node (eGGSN), based on the high-performance Service Application Module for IP (SAMI) technology in the Cisco 7600 Series Router;
- Cisco Service Control Engine;
- Cisco Access Register
- This combined solution was selected to help prepare Turkcell for a surge in data traffic from the launch of its 3G network in July 2009.
- The Cisco eGGSN solution provides advanced processing of Internet Protocol (IP) flows for content-aware billing, filtering, management and analysis in a highly scalable, fault-tolerant package. The solution helps Turkcell to deliver personalized mobile data services to its customers.
- Openet's FusionWorksTM Convergent Charging product verifies the subscriber identity, the type of service and the authorization to use the service; advises on charge and session management; and charges for the service. These capabilities provide the transactional intelligence that Turkcell requires for the accurate delivery of, and charging for, 3G services.
- As a complementary technology with the Service Control Engine, Cisco provides content inspection capabilities that enable Turkcell to control network traffic and monetize subscriber use. Currently, there are servers deployed in Istanbul, with plans to roll out additional servers in Ankara and to augment the existing hardware in Istanbul as more subscribers begin to use Turkcell's 3G network for data services.
- The joint solution was previously deployed to handle data on Turkcell's 2G network and was selected for its ability to scale exponentially as 3G data use grows and delivery speeds rise as high as 1,500 transactions per second.customer base consists predominantly of consumers using voice and SMS services.
- The ability to handle real-time GPRS transactions now allows Turkcell to maximize profitability from data services, thereby creating a commercially viable proposition to take to the enterprise market. What's more, the solution is a 3rd Generation Partnership Project initiative that is IMS-standard-compliant and device-agnostic, so Turkcell can now handle the growing demand for next-generation services such as mobile TV and mobile Internet.
- Cisco Advanced Services provided end-to-end integration, deployment and support services working in close collaboration with Openet.
- Ilker Kuruoz, chief technology officer, Turkcell
- Hacer Coskun, planning manager, Network Enablers, Turkcell
- Philip Hogan, vice president global sales, Openet
- Suraj Shetty, vice president, Global Service Provider Marketing, Cisco
"For Turkcell's 3G launch, we needed a data-charging solution implemented by vendors who were able to bring their international experience in that space to the dynamic Turkish market. The solution developed by Cisco and Openet is a big benefit for Turkcell. It not only provides for today's needs, but also supports flexible future scenarios. Following the 3G launch, we are pleased to observe the reliability and flexibility of the solution."
"While our consumer voice growth was already strong, we needed to provide an equally efficient and profitable data solution to tap into the enterprise market and consumers looking to next-generation services. We chose to work with Openet and Cisco because their combined offering precisely met our requirements for capacity, reliability and flexibility in a real-time charging solution."
"Turkcell has built a hugely profitable business in the GSM market. However, as it began to provide complex, high-value services, it required a solution that could dynamically evaluate usage to create relevant billing models and tariffs that meet the needs of the customer, while still generating revenue for the business. This is doubly important now that Turkcell has launched its 3G network, and that's where Openet and Cisco come in."
"Never before has it been so important for operators to accelerate adoption of personalized mobile data services. With this Mobile Internet solution, we are able to help Turkcell better serve its customers, monetize its next-generation services and increase average revenue per user with differentiated billing."
Turkcell, Cisco, Openet, Turkey, mobile data, 3G, Cisco Content Services Gateway
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
- Cisco Web Site
- Mobile Transport over Packet Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- T-Mobile Hungary Uses Cisco's Mobile Content Solution to Offer Personalized Services
- 3GPP – a global initiative
Turkcell is the leading GSM operator in Turkey with 36.3 million postpaid and prepaid customers as of June 30, 2009 operating in a three player market with a market share of approximately 57% as of June 30, 2009 (Source: operators' announcements). Turkcell is the technology leader providing EDGE technology across the country. Turkcell also provides high quality data and voice services to 60% of the population (as at 30 July 2009) through the implementation of its 3G technology. Turkcell provides roaming with 624 operators in 206 countries as of August 5, 2009. Serving a large subscriber base in Turkey with its high-quality wireless telephone network, Turkcell reported $1.4 billion net revenue for the quarter ended June 30, 2009 as per IFRS financial statements. Turkcell has interests in international GSM operations in Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Kazakhstan, Moldova, Northern Cyprus and Ukraine. Turkcell has been listed on the NYSE ("New York Stock Exchange") and the ISE ("Istanbul Stock Exchange") since July 2000 and is the only NYSE listed company in Turkey. 51.00% of Turkcell's share capital is held by Turkcell Holding, 0.05% by Cukurova Group, 13.07% by Sonera Holding, 2.32% by M.V. Group and 0.08% by others while the remaining 33.48% is free float.
Turkcell's shares have been traded on Istanbul Stock Exchange (IMKB) and New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) since July 11, 2000 and it is the first and only Turkish company ever to be listed on NYSE.
Openet is a leading worldwide provider of event processing and transaction management solutions. The Transactional Intelligence of the company's solutions extracts increased value from diverse service provider networks, enabling rapid introduction of new services and reliable, cost-effective management of existing services. Openet is focused on delivering best-in-class network edge solutions and specialized engagement processes that create business value from network activity. A global company, Openet's implementations include long-running engagements with the world's leading service providers such as British Telecom, Orange, AT&T and Verizon Wireless. For more information, visit www.openet.com.