BISHKEK, Kyrgyzstan, July 1, 2009 – Cisco today announced that Kyrgyztelecom, Kyrgyzstan's national telecommunications operator, has deployed the Cisco® ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Router as the network platform to enable a more flexible, efficient, and cost-effective delivery of broadband-based voice and data services to its subscribers. The implementation is a key element of Kyrgyztelecom's plans to build a next-generation Metro Ethernet fiber-to-the-home (FTTH) aggregation network, initially in the capital of Bishkek and then across other cities. Over the next two to three years, Kyrgyztelecom plans to connect 5 million people to broadband services.
Key Facts / Highlights:
- Cisco technologies deployed as part of the project included the Cisco ASR 1002 Router, Cisco Catalyst® switches and the Cisco Security Monitoring, Analysis, and Response System (MARS).
- The Cisco ASR 1000 Series is powered by the new Cisco QuantumFlow Processor (QFP), the industry's most advanced networking chipset, which provides processing power equivalent to 20 dual-core servers, using one-tenth of the space and 38,990 fewer kilowatt-hours per year. The Cisco QFP will help Kyrgyztelecom deliver new services, easy administration and manageability with the highest processing-to-power ratio.
- Running on Cisco IOS® XE Software, the Cisco ASR 1002 Router supports software redundancy and in-service software upgrades without redundant hardware.
- The Cisco ASR 1000 Series was introduced in April 2008, the result of five years of development by a team of more than 100 of Cisco's top engineers. It defines a new category of router with industry-leading performance, built-in services, reliability and network simplification in a compact form factor.
- The project was implemented by Terratech, a Cisco Select Certified Partner, based in Bishkek.
- Marat Mambetaliev, CEO, Kyrgyztelecom
- Kaan Terzioglu, vice president, Cisco Europe East
"Kyrgyztelecom's mission is to contribute to Kyrgyzstan's socio-economic development by providing a world-class communications infrastructure to every citizen whenever and wherever it's needed, and by any available media. By choosing Cisco's latest innovative technologies, we are ready for the future expansion of our network, including the deployment of a next-generation Metro Ethernet FTTH aggregation network in Bishkek and beyond."
"Kyrgyztelecom was looking for a future-proof technology solution that represents engineering excellence, longevity and strong total cost of ownership. We are proud that it chose the Cisco ASR 1000 platform and deployed this innovative technology as the first in the CIS region."
Kyrgyztelecom, Cisco, ASR 1000, Cisco QuantumFlow Processor, FTTH, Metro Ethernet
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Kyrgyztelecom is 76% state owned and the leading service provider in Kyrgyzstan which is responsible for creating modern infrastructure throughout the country. Its main goal is to enable citizens to communicate with the world. Kyrgyztelecom has about 7000 employees, and provides mainly voice and data communication. More info at http://www.kt.kg