WARSAW, Poland - June 7, 2009 - Cisco and NextiraOne announced the completion of an integrated telecommunications infrastructure for the Poznan International Fair, a leader in the Polish fair and exposition market. Poznan International Fair hosts more than 80 large-scale international events and more than 1,600 conferences each year, with half a million professional visitors. Covering an area of more than 110,000 square meters, it is the largest trade fair complex in Poland.
Facts / Highlights:
- Based entirely on Cisco® technology, the new network provides Internet, wireless (Wi-Fi) and voice-over-Internet Protocol (VoIP) access for staff and exhibitors. NextiraOne, a Cisco Gold Certified Partner, provided a full set of services, including planning and deployment of the project and ongoing maintenance.
- The solution was first used during the 14th Conference of Parties (COP14) to the United Nations' Frame Convention on Climate Change, held at the Poznan International Fair in December 2008. The main goal of the conference was to set the agenda for international efforts to tackle the challenges of global climate change. During the event more than 12,000 participants, including 1,000 journalists, were using the network to communicate with each other and the outside world via voice, data and video. U.N. staff could make free VoIP calls through the wireless network to the COP14 headquarters in Bonn, Germany and to teams working locally. The network also supported live webcast transmissions which were available directly after the end of debates in video-on-demand format.
- Cisco technologies deployed at the Poznan International Fair include a local-area network (LAN) and edge routing as well as wireline and wireless access technologies. Security solutions include the Cisco Security Monitoring, Analysis and Response System (MARS) for both network devices and host applications; Cisco Security Manager; and the Cisco Secure Access Control Server (ACS), which helps with authentication, authorisation and accounting.
- Cisco equipment implemented at the Poznan International Fair uses and manages power consumption wisely. Even at less-than-optimum loads, the power supplies within Cisco routers and switches operate at above 80 percent efficiency, with many exceeding 90 percent. Additionally, the time-based Power over Ethernet (PoE) capabilities of Cisco Catalyst® Series Switches and Cisco Integrated Services Routers contribute to cost savings by powering down selected devices during off hours. These functions (negotiating power with connected devices and selectively limiting power during off hours) illustrate the true capabilities of a network-based solution when it comes to energy efficiency.
- Krzysztof Slatala, IT director, Poznan International Fair:
- Pawel Malak, general manager, Cisco Poland:
- Marek Kobielski, vice president Central Europe, general manager NextiraOne Poland:
"The communications and IT infrastructure we provided for the United Nations climate change conference was recognized by both organizers and participants as being among the best they had ever experienced in the multiyear history of the event. Such positive feedback is very important to us, as this has been our largest IT-networking project at Poznan International Fair so far. The result is a clear indication of the quality of work provided by the whole team. We now have a modern, integrated communication infrastructure that can be quickly adapted to the needs of the many different events that take place at our facilities."
"The new infrastructure has enabled Poznan International Fair to create a 21st-century architecture and the most advanced fair centre in Poland. The new architecture also allows the fair to deploy solutions such as video monitoring over IP and the integration of billing systems with the Wi-Fi solution, and it will enable the introduction of RFiD technologies in the future."
"Building a communications network for a company with a reputation as high profile as that of the Poznan International Fair is always a big challenge. It was an honour to provide Poland's largest fairs organisation with the network reliability and functionality required for such prestigious international events as the UN climate change conference."
- For more information on Poznan International Fair: http://www.mtp.pl/en
- For more information on Cisco: www.cisco.com
- For more information on NextiraOne: http://www.nextiraone-eu.com
Cisco, NextiraOne, Poznan International Fair, LAN, wireless, VoIP, Security
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html