New Global Customers Adopt Cisco Emerging Solutions Advisory (ESA) Services to Transform Service Delivery for Citizens, Creating Smart+Connected CommunitiesFebruary 21, 2012
San Jose, Calif. Feb 21, 2012 : Cisco today announced that developers and communities in Toronto, Canada, the Delhi Mumbai Industrial corridor in India, and the City of Guayaquil in Ecuador are now placing Cisco and its certified partners at the heart of their urban planning initiatives, adding to the company's roster of global greenfield and brownfield Smart+Connected Communities™ (S+CC) projects.
As competition between cities for talent, business, investment and tourism increases, city leaders see a growing role for technology to enable the development of communities that champion social, environmental and economic sustainability. A Smart+Connected Community is designed with technology at the center to improve the efficient management of city operations, and the development and delivery of new services to citizens.
City leaders and urban planners around the world are increasingly identifying IT and the network as integral parts of their urban development efforts, and today several announced that they have chosen Cisco to design their information and communications technology (ICT) master plans.
Key new customer announcements today:
In India, the Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor Development Company (DMICDC)
has selected Cisco® S+CC Advisory Services to develop the ICT master plan for two pilot cities in the $90 billion flagship public sector infrastructure project. The entire scope of the Delhi Mumbai Industrial Corridor (DMIC) will consist of 24 cities in total, spanning six states in India. The DMIC's key focus is to create a global manufacturing and trading hub through smart and socially inclusive cities that take advantage of world-class digital infrastructure.
- The city of Guayaquil in Ecuador has adopted Cisco Emerging Solutions Advisory Services to develop a scalable ICT master plan for its "Digital Guayquil" project. With a metropolitan population of 2.5 million, Guayaquil is aiming to improve the quality of life for citizens by using the network to offer municipality services such as healthcare, education and e-government. As an important hub for tourists traveling to the Galapagos Island, the city also intends to address safety and security by implementing a unified command and control center.
- Cisco is engaging Striwyn Group Inc. in Toronto, Canada as the company builds a state-of-the-art commercial and residential development, named Centrium, in the North York district of the city. The 40,000 square-meter development will include residential units, ample commercial space and a new hotel, and will use the network as a platform for converged building systems. This flexible, scalable, high-performance building will also serve as the template for the future design, construction and management of mixed use real estate.
Cisco's Emerging Solutions Advisory Services have already played a key role in the development of master-planning ICT blueprints for the following select developments around the globe. This service offering, which is increasingly being adopted as an industry best practice, provides guidance and consultation encompassing project management, market and service analysis, operating and financial model definition, and feasibility analysis:
- Rampart's Avenir™ Communities in Edmonton, Canada, is using Cisco S+CC Advisory Services to help deliver a new, sustainable and high-tech C$1.8 billion development for 10,000 residents and commercial enterprises to transform the way they work and live through the use of technology-enabled Smart Services and Solutions.
- As the first city built on Cisco's ICT master plan that uses the platform on a wide scale, Songdo, South Korea, is implementing multiple solutions built on Cisco's Unified Service Delivery Platform. This initiative is part of a strategic collaboration with New Songdo International City, a joint venture of Gale International and Posco E&C, in collaboration with the LG CNS and Incheon Free Economic Zone Authority. These solutions are now being installed into an initial tranche of homes and will provide residents with Connected Living featuring Smart+Connected Home solutions with telepresence-based access to government and commercial services. The homes are also a showcase for urban sustainability featuring underground recycling and repurposing of waste.
- In Malaysia, UEM Land Holdings Berhad and Iskandar Investment Berhadengaged Cisco to develop an ICT and Services Smart City master plan to transform Nusajaya, part of Iskandar Malaysia, into a Smart+Connected Community. Nusajaya is located at the southwestern tip of Peninsular Malaysia in close proximity to Singapore. With 24,000 acres of contiguous development-ready land, it is one of the largest property developments in Asia.
- Cisco is collaborating with the City of Barcelona to launch a number of strategic initiatives aimed at advancing the city's vision of being a global reference model for sustainable urban development. Based on the city's ICT services vision, the Barcelona City Council and Cisco are collaborating to develop an integrated urban platform for more efficient management of the city via a holistic view of all available municipal services. Barcelona has been working on pilot projects to install an urban platform of sensors ranging from trash containers (to reschedule waste collection routes more efficiently), sensors on the street (to measure the use of parking spaces), environmental sensors (to measure the degree of air pollution), humidity sensors (to manage the irrigation system of public parks of the city) and urban sensors (to read gas, water and electricity use in homes). Barcelona is also leading an EU-sponsored project – called iCity – to foster open innovation on the next generation of services of public interest, with being Cisco a key technology partner in the project.
- In Russia, partnering with the Skolkovo Foundation, Cisco is also delivering a technology master plan for the Skolkovo Technograd as part of the Skolkovo Project. The Skolkovo Project is a public, private and academic partnership to create a leading centre for innovation in Russia. This will physically manifest itself at Skolkovo, a "city of the future," creating a place for 30,000 innovators and entrepreneurs to live and work.
Emerging Market Insertion Solutions
In addition to Cisco's S+CC business architecture, Cisco is seeing tremendous momentum in its emerging market insertion solutions, which include health care, sports and entertainment, safety and security, and interactive services for transportation and retail. These solutions, which have been developed in alignment with Cisco's five core business priorities, aim to address vertical market challenges commonly faced by community managers:
- Lviv, Ukraine: The 750 year-old city center, a UNESCO World Heritage site, was chosen to host the UEFA EURO 2012 Football Championship and engaged with Cisco to complete a new €85 million, 33,500 person Cisco Connected stadium. A scalable, highly secure network designed specifically for sports and entertainment, the Cisco Connected Stadium brings access, communications, entertainment and operations together into one converged IP-based platform that delivers services such as data, voice, video, ticketing, point of sale, digital signage, safety and security, and building management. As one of four new stadiums being built in the country for the tournament, Lviv is one of three venues Cisco has won for Connected Stadia in Ukraine. The city is also working with Cisco on a Smart+Connected Safety & Security project for its airport modernization effort.
- RxDx, a state-of-the-art multispecialty and acute care center in India is using Cisco HealthPresence® to deliver affordable, high-quality health care in remote and underserved communities in the states of Karnataka and Madhya Pradesh. Cisco's HealthPresence solution connects patients and clinicians via high-definition video, audio, medical devices and collaboration tools with enhanced security and efficiency capabilities. As the first managed service provider for Cisco HealthPresence in India, RxDx is using Cisco technology to deliver specialized remote healthcare to urban corporate clinics and rural areas in the country.
- Metropolitan Transportation Authority, New York: In September 2011, MTA announced it is using the new Cisco Interactive Services Solution, Cisco's new cloud based solution for managing interactive digital media, for its new On the Go! touchscreen travel station pilot program. The travel station provides riders with trip planning, service status, local maps and other information. On the Go! has been positively received by customers and featured in several local newspaper, online and national publications. Based on that feedback, the MTA is seriously considering a system-wide roll out of On the Go!, which would provide the agency with its own digital out-of-home network to communicate service and other information to its customers and provide the agency with a potential revenue stream from digital advertising.
- Showcasing the practicality of the S+CC approach is the Smart+Connected Work concept pioneered by Cisco in Europe. For the first time in the U.S., a new 50,000-square-foot space will open in Chicago (spring 2012) and will offer affordable and high-tech office space for entrepreneurs and startups based on this model. Named 1871 (a reference to the city's rebirth after the Great Chicago Fire), the space will accommodate 300-400 people and offer additional support through classes, seminars, conferences, one-on-one mentorship, access to potential funders and professional services experts. 1871 builds on the potential of connected smart work centers already proven in the Netherlands, where an umbrella organization presides over the service level standards, interoperability, reservations and marketing of all smart work centers.
Wim Elfrink, executive vice president, Emerging Solutions and chief globalisation officer: "The ability for cities to use technology to transform the way their citizens consume services is a powerful concept and one that appeals to visionary leaders around the world. We have developed a services catalogue of more than 100 services that can be used to generate new revenue streams for service providers and cities around the world."
Anil Menon, president, Globalisation and Smart+Connected Communities for Cisco summarizes recent customer progress in delivering on the S+CC business architecture:
- More information on Cisco's Unified Services Delivery Platform (SDP):
- More information on Cisco's Smart+Connected Communities initiative
- More information on ABI's Smart Cities report:
- More information on Cisco and New Songdo International City Development's $47M investment.
More information on the Cisco Connected Stadium project at the Warsaw National Stadium in Poland.
- Video series on Cities of the Future: http://newsroom.cisco.com/songdo
- Join us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CiscoSCC
- Follow Cisco Smart+Connected Communities on Twitter: http://twitter.com/CiscoSCC
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.