Videoscape Unity, Integrating Cisco and NDS Video Portfolio, Empowers Service and Content Providers to Deliver Unified and Unique Video Experiences Across All ScreensJanuary 07, 2013
LAS VEGAS, Nevada, CES 2013, January 7, 2013 – Today in a press conference at CES 2013, Cisco will unveil Videoscape Unity, its new and expanded Videoscape video services delivery platform. This new platform empowers service providers and media companies to deliver new intuitive and synchronized multiscreen video experiences. These include a multiscreen cloud digital video recorder (DVR), which enables consumers to restart shows, catch up on past programs, and play back DVR-captured content from anywhere, on any screen.
For the first time, video operators will have an agile, open software platform that goes above and beyond "TV Everywhere" services, empowering operators to speed the delivery of immersive multi-screen video experiences that advance their unique service and brand visions.
During Cisco's press conference (streamed live online at 2 p.m. PST with a replay available at 3 p.m. PST), Marthin De Beer, senior vice president of Cisco's Video and Collaboration Group, will host a panel of leading service and content providers for a discussion titled, "The Future of TV: Above and Beyond TV Everywhere," during which they will share their visions for delivering personalized video experiences. Panelists include:
- Len Barlik, EVP, chief product officer, Cox Communications
- Bill Bradford, senior vice president, Digital Media, Fox Broadcasting
- Joe Inzerillo, senior vice president, Multimedia and Distribution, Major League Baseball Advanced Media
- Balan Nair, chief technology officer, Liberty Global
- Andrew Olson, director of product planning and design, BSkyB
New Preintegrated Offers Enabled by Videoscape Unity Include
- Multiscreen Cloud DVR: Offers cloud-driven video recording with capture and storage in the cloud instead of the end device. Consumers can restart shows, catch up on past programs, and play back DVR-captured content from anywhere, on any screen.
- Video Everywhere: Broadens the TV Everywhere proposition with unified search, discovery, and viewing functions to allow consumers to watch premium live and on-demand content on any (service provider managed or unmanaged) connected device regardless of location.
- Connected Video to Any Device in the Home: Cisco's Connected Video Gateway serves as a single entertainment hub, with back-end management of IP and QAM video, for distributing video content and metadata to any IP-connected device in the home, while providing a unified user experience.
- IP Video over Cable: Gives consumers expanded choice of content and IP video services, with faster delivery of on-demand and interactive offerings, across a wider range of service provider managed devices - with the flexibility to add unmanaged devices.
About Videoscape Unity
Cisco announced its Videoscape TV services delivery platform at CES in 2011. Videoscape Unity was created by integrating Cisco Videoscape with the assets and business model of NDS, the leading video software and content security and experience provider acquired by Cisco in 2012. The new platform comprises a set of cloud, network and client based components, connected by open interfaces.
- The cloud and network components power new, personalized video services and enable multiple screens to be synchronized to create a single unified experience for the subscriber, so things look and feel the same no matter what device they use.
- Client components use the Cisco Snowflake interface design model and NDS Media Highway multiplatform clients. This approach enables network operators to design exciting user experiences, engineer them into clients for connected devices and set-top boxes, and quickly deploy them across multiple screens and throughout large service footprints.
Flexible Deployment Options
- Videoscape Unity can be deployed in one of many end-to-end pretested configurations, which can be tailored to each operator's service plan.
- Operators can also opt to select individual components and tailor them into their operations via open interfaces.
- For the first time, Cisco is offering Videoscape "as a service," allowing operators to have Cisco build, monitor, operate and even host their video infrastructures.
Advantages for Operators
- Compelling multiscreen experiences delivered from the leading video experience platform and continuosly refreshed by Cisco's 7,500+ video engineers.
- A modular open platform, which operators can enhance with third-party components using open interfaces built into the Videoscape Unity platform.
- For operators that deploy Videoscape Unity for one service can easily enhance and add to the modules they initially deploy to bring other services to market quickly.
- Reduced operations costs by the elimination of single-service, "siloed" platforms, and the need for constant in-house engineering to keep platforms current.
- Balan Nair, executive vice president and chief technology officer, Liberty Global
"The entertainment landscape is continually evolving. Consumers are interacting and discovering content in new ways. Liberty Global strives to provide our customers with as much flexibility as possible, and a wide variety of methods to consume content. Our partners, NDS and Cisco, are providing us the technology to deliver on this promise. Service providers like LGI are in a prime position to address changes in both technology and consumer behavior, enabling an unparalleled entertainment experience. The Horizon platform, and our work with Cisco/NDS, positions us with a next-generation video service that will take us to the next level and provides both the infrastructure and innovation that we need to continually surpass our customers' expectations."
- Len Barlik, executive vice president, chief product officer, Cox Communications
"Consumers expect more choice, freedom and flexibility in what they watch, and when, where, and how they watch it. They want to shape and socialize what is displayed on their own screens. Working with both Cisco and NDS has helped us to evolve our video services platform beyond TV Everywhere to more ‘TV your way,' personalized video experiences, giving our subscribers more of what they enjoy. We are excited about the combination of Cisco and NDS, and the possibilities the new Videoscape Unity portfolio has to offer."
- Gunnar Evensen, CEO, Get AS
"The marriage of Cisco and NDS presents unique opportunities for service providers looking to evolve their video platforms and offer consumers better experiences. Our partnership with both companies provides us with the sophisticated architecture, software, and services that we need to deliver an exceptional experience to our subscribers."
- Itzhak Elyakim, vice president of Engineering and CTO, YES
"Cisco and NDS together presents a host of new opportunities for us to further advance the TV experience for our subscribers. The new Videoscape Unity platform offers a strong combination of innovative cloud technology, network hardware and software to help us as we evolve our video infrastructure to manage interactive, multiscreen experiences."
- Jesper Andersen, senior vice president and general manager, Cisco Service Provider Video Technology Group
"When implementing next-gen video, service providers and media companies previously had to choose between custom integrated solutions that stranded them in a point solution, or standard product-based solutions that had limited opportunities to customize and bring their brands to life. Videoscape Unity combines the advantages of these approaches – offering a set of standard service-powering cloud, and network components with the ability to design and deploy customized user experiences across many screens."
- Tune in to watch Cisco's CES press conference streamed live online at 2 p.m. PT (replay available at 3 p.m. PT).
- Cisco Videoscape Unity: http://www.cisco.com/go/videoscape
- Cisco IBSG Supporting Research:
- Cisco Service Provider blog: SP360: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow Cisco Service Provider news and activities at CES on Twitter #VideoscapeUnity, #PersonalTV
Cisco, Cox Communications, cloud, GET, Gunnar Evensen, IP Video, Itzhak Elyakim, Len Barlik, Liberty Global, Multiscreen Cloud DVR, Balan Nair, NDS, Videoscape, Videoscape Unity, Jesper Andersen, Yes
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.