JAKARTA, Indonesia, 05 December 2012 – Cisco is working closely with PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia Tbk (PT Telkom), Indonesia's largest information and communications provider, to enable the rapid deployment of 100,000 access points across Indonesia. This will be the largest deployment of Wi-Fi access points by a single service provider in Asia.
According to IDC, as Indonesia transforms itself into an economic leader, ICT will play a major role in boosting economic growth as the ubiquitous use of smartphones and tablets results in a high demand for mobile network access. Both licensed and unlicensed (Wi-Fi) small cells are seen as key to managing this rapidly increasing demand.
Over the last six months, PT Telkom has initiated the deployment of thousands of Wi-Fi access points across Indonesia as it prepares for mobile data traffic to double each year through at least 2016. The Cisco Visual Networking Index also predicts that mobile data traffic in Indonesia is expected to grow 32 times from 2011 to 2016, with an average per user consumption at 716 megabytes of mobile data traffic per month in 2016, a staggering 2,387 per cent increase from 30 megabytes per month in 2011.
Key Facts / Highlights
- As Indonesia's biggest telecommunication company, PT Telkom has 8.6 million fixed wire-line customers, 14.2 million fixed wireless customers and 107 million cellular customers.
- The Wi-Fi deployment will reinforce PT Telkom as a comprehensive service provider that supplies both fixed and mobile broadband services across Indonesia.
- Wi-Fi is being deployed to offload mobile data from the macro cellular network, as well as to offer more convenient mobile broadband services in malls, hotels, schools, hotspots and public areas.
- Cisco® Service Provider Wi-Fi is part of Cisco's Small Cell solution portfolio. It is a carrier-grade, end-to-end platform, built on Cisco's Next Generation Internet Architecture that can scale to support exponential traffic growth and millions of users with a mobile experience. Cisco Service Provider Wi-Fi is Passpoint certified, and incorporates Connected Mobile Experiences, providing a platform for unparalleled business innovation through location-based services.
- Badriyanto, Executive General Manager of the Wireless Broadband Division at PT Telkom
"Our initial target of deploying 100,000 Wi-Fi access points this year has been to offload risk of overpopulated and congested 3G data traffic in malls, airports, and other high-density areas. In addition, we are also preparing to enhance our broadband service portfolio to offer exciting new mobile broadband services which can only come from a true carrier-grade Wi-Fi network, a network we expect to scale out to 1 million Wi-Fi access points. PT Telkom is the first operator to build such a large Wi-Fi network in Indonesia, and we are confident that our collaboration with industry leaders like Cisco will position PT Telkom as the global leader in mobile broadband and Wi-Fi."
- Irving Tan, managing director for Cisco in ASEAN
"Indonesia is transforming the Asia region with its plans to grow the economy to compete on a global scale. The rise in mobility highlights the country's vision in using the network as a platform for transformation as industries embrace the next-generation small cell mobile Internet capabilities for business benefits. Our collaboration with PT Telkom is the foundation for getting Indonesia future-ready as we create an intelligent, connected Indonesia."
- Information on Cisco's solutions for service providers
- SP360: Cisco Blog for Service Providers
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast 2011-2016
- Follow @CiscoAPAC
About PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia Tbk
PT Telekomunikasi Indonesia, Tbk (NYSE: TLK, LSE: TKID, IDX: TLKM), is the largest telecommunications services company in Indonesia, commonly abbreviated as Telkom Indonesia or Telkom. Telkom is an operator of "TIMES" (Telecommunication, Information, Multimedia, Edutaintment, and Services). More information about Telkom Indonesia can be found at http://www.telkom.co.id.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco products are supplied in Indonesia by the channel partners of Cisco Systems International B.V., a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.