Cisco ASR 9000 Series Selected for Internet Protocol Radio Access Network AggregationAugust 15, 2011
SAN JOSE, Calif., August 15, 2011 – Cisco today announced that Scandinavian mobile operator 3, a division of Hutchison 3G, is deploying Cisco® ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers to deliver 4G and Long Term Evolution (LTE) services, including faster mobile Internet and video throughout its converged Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN).
When combined with the other Cisco elements in 3 Scandinavia's network, the Cisco ASR 9000 Series paves the way for rapid implementation of advanced, personalized mobile video services. Such services are the focus of the Cisco Move™ (monetization, optimization, videoscape experience) strategic framework, which delivers solutions to enable service providers like 3 Scandinavia to better manage, enhance and take financial advantage of the rapidly growing volume of mobile data traffic.
- 3 Scandinavia's fastest-growing business segments are new services, such as mobile Internet, mobile video chat and mobile video downloads for consumer and business customers.
- 3 Scandinavia's new IP NGN ensures that 3 Scandinavia customers will continue to experience some of the fastest mobile Internet speeds in Scandinavia.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 Series is specifically designed to enable 3 Scandinavia to offer new mobile services by providing a flexible and scalable foundation for mobile backhaul.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 Series has been designed to allow service providers to make the transition easily to IPv6 while providing services such as end-to-end security, quality of service (QoS) and globally unique addresses. The primary motivation for IPv6 deployment is to meet the current and future demand for globally unique IP addresses. The proliferation of mobile Internet devices such as tablets, smart phones and wireless connected laptops, is driving demand for IP addresses.
- Cisco predicts that by 2015, the number of network-connected devices will be more than 15 billion -- twice the world's population -- and the total amount of global Internet traffic will quadruple, reaching 966 exabytes per year (Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast (2010-2015).
- According to the Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2010 to 2015, two-thirds of the world's mobile data traffic will be video by 2015. Mobile video traffic will more than double every year between 2010 and 2015.
- Jörgen Askeroth, chief technical officer, 3 Scandinavia
"We strive to offer innovative services that appeal to all of our customers. 4G and LTE are services our customers rely on greatly to share and view mobile video and data. The Cisco ASR 9000 Series Routers and Cisco Move framework help enable us to provide customers a consistent mobile Internet experience."
- Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, core technology group, Cisco
"As 3 Scandinavia works to manage and take advantage of the mobile video tidal wave, it is increasingly looking for monetization and optimization techniques that will improve its bottom line and enhance the customer experience.We are excited to collaborate with 3 Scandinaviaand help enable it to deliver higher quality at lower cost and differentiate the video experience through our ASR 9000 Series and MOVE solution."
- 3 Scandinavia
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers
- Cisco Mobile Internet Solutions (Move)
- Read more about Cisco's mobile Internet products and solutions
- Cisco Carrier-Grade IPv6 Solution
- Cisco Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Cisco Visual Networking Index home page
- Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2010-2015
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast, 2010 to 2015
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @SP360
Cisco, ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Service Routers, ASR 9000, ASR, Carrier Ethernet, Edge, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, 3 Scandinavia, Hutchison 3G, Jörgen Askeroth, Surya Panditi
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.