International Competition Recognizes Excellence Among Career and Technical Education StudentsSeptember 18, 2009
SAN JOSE, Calif., September 18, 2009 Cisco, a global industry partner of WorldSkills International, is pleased to congratulate the winners of its biennial international technical skills competition. Eighteen of the 26 competitors in this year's IT/PC Network Support Contest, including Gold Medalist Tan Thiam Shui of Singapore, were Cisco® Networking Academy® students from across the globe.
Cisco Networking Academy
- Cisco Networking Academy is an innovative education initiative that provides students with critical information technology (IT) and networking skills that position them for rewarding 21st-century careers.
- Since 1997, the Networking Academy has grown to reach a diverse population of more than 750,000 students each year in more than 165 countries. All students receive the same high-quality education through their local educational institutions, supported by online content and assessments, performance tracking, hands-on labs and interactive learning tools.
WorldSkills Calgary 2009
- The 40th WorldSkills Competition saw more than 1,000 competitors from 51 member countries and regions vying for international recognition of their elite technical skills.
- This year's competition began with opening ceremonies on Sept.1, followed by four days of intense competition, and concluded on Sept. 7.
- In preparation for the 40th Worldskills Competition, several Canadian Networking Academy students from Southern Alberta Institute of Technology in Calgary worked at Stampede Park to help set up the communications network for the competition. Working in conjunction with WorldSkills IT staff, MTS AllStream and the city of Calgary IT department, students helped create a communications backbone for thousands of participants at the event.
- Participants in the IT PC / Network Support No. 39 Contest demonstrated their ability to assemble PCs and network devices for home and business environments, install complex custom IT solutions using a variety of operating systems and server software, implement business-to-business communication solutions, and install and configure wireless network devices, switches, routers and security devices.
- Gold Medal: Tan Thiam Shui, Singapore
- Silver Medal: Lee Dong Sok, Korea
- Bronze Medal: Meier Florian, Switzerland
- In addition, Tan Thiam Shui of Singapore received the Albert Vidal Award. The award is named after the founder of WorldSkills International, Francisco Albert-Vidal. Vidal served 33 years as an untiring promoter as secretary-general and seven years as president of the international organization. In memory of Vidal, the award is given to the competitor who achieves the highest score at the WorldSkills Competition.
- Amy Christen, vice president, Cisco Corporate Affairs and Networking Academy, said:
- Tan Thiam Shui, Singapore competitor said:
"The WorldSkills Competition provides an excellent opportunity for students to showcase their technical skills in a challenging and competitive environment. Cisco's support of WorldSkills highlights its commitment to the development of IT training and skills around the globe. We are delighted to congratulate all of the winners and participants in this prestigious competition."
"The training I received in Nanyang Polytechnic and Cisco Networking Academy gave me a significant technical advantage in both my national skills competition and the WorldSkills Competition. Picking up networking knowledge was really challenging at first, but the curriculum offered by the Cisco Networking Academy made the learning process interesting and exciting. I would not be where I am today without the support of Nanyang Polytechnic and the Networking Academy."
- Cisco Networking Academy: http://www.cisco.com/go/netacad
- WorldSkills 2009 Calgary: http://www.worldskills2009.com/index.cfm
- WorldSkills TV Cisco Presentation: http://www.worldskills.org/index.php?option=com_seyret&Itemid=656&task=videodirectlink&id=264
Talent Development, WorldSkills, SkillsUSA, SkillsCanada, Networking, Cisco, Cisco Networking Academy, Cisco Certifications