SAN JOSE and SANTA CLARA, Calif. – Oct. 12, 2011 – Cisco and Citrix Systems today announced that they have entered into a strategic alliance to develop and deliver solutions that help customers simplify and accelerate large-scale desktop virtualization deployments. Through this alliance, Cisco and Citrix will drive innovations that simplify the deployment of high-definition virtual desktops and applications and improve end-user experiences over a highly secure Citrix HDX™-enabled Cisco® network. The companies will also continue to enhance and build upon their data center solutions and cloud technologies to help accelerate deployment of cloud services.
As the industry transitions from the PC era to the cloud era where mobile work forces need to access media-rich applications from any device, anywhere, anytime, enterprises are turning to desktop virtualization to give them the benefits of the security, flexibility and cost-savings by delivering desktops and applications as a centralized service. Innovative solutions like Cisco Virtualization Experience Infrastructure (VXI) with Citrix XenDesktop® span desktop virtualization, networking, datacenter, multimedia and endpoint devices to support customers through this transition.
Delivering Virtual Desktops Services Anywhere, Anytime on Any Device
Combining Cisco leadership in networking, datacenter, endpoint devices and collaboration, with Citrix leadership in virtualization and the delivery of desktops, applications and data, this alliance is aimed at delivering solutions that help enterprises easily and cost effectively deploy virtual desktops to millions of PCs, Macs, tablets, smartphones and thin clients. This alliance will also deliver data center solutions that make it easier for organizations to deploy the infrastructure required to deliver IT as a service across multiple networks and geographies. Cisco and Citrix are committed to collaborating and exploring innovative new technology integrations in key areas such as:
- Enhancing Cisco networking products with full support for Citrix HDX Technology: The companies are committed to supporting Citrix HDX technology in targeted Cisco industry-leading networking solutions to deliver an enhanced high-definition experience for users of Citrix XenDesktop and XenApp™ solutions.
As the first result of the strategic alliance agreement, Cisco will deliver a new release of Cisco Wide Area Application Services™ (WAAS) optimized for Citrix XenDesktop and Citrix HDX technology in the fourth quarter of this year. Announced today as part of the next phase of Cisco's VXI, an open, validated virtual workspace solution, WAAS will further enhance the performance of virtual desktops and applications over Cisco networking infrastructure (see related announcement).
- Enhanced device and integrated multimedia support: Cisco and Citrix will collaborate to deliver an optimized user experience for virtual desktops and applications for Cisco endpoint devices. This will include collaboration across Cisco rich media, voice, video and collaboration endpoint devices such as the Cisco VirtualExperience Clients (VXCs) and the Cisco Cius™ enterprise tablet – with the virtual desktop and application capabilities of Citrix XenDesktop, and the Citrix Receiver™ universal software client.
- Accelerating Datacenter Innovation with Cisco UCS, Citrix XenDesktop and Citrix XenServer: Over the past year, Cisco and Citrix have been bringing the reality of virtual desktop computing to our customers. With the Cisco Unified Computing System™ (Cisco UCS™) extended memory and Unified Fabric Cisco and Citrix virtual desktop solutions, the companies deliver the industry's highest virtual desktop densities and best performance available on the market today. Building on this success, the companies will continue to extend the collaboration to drive further design validation and optimization enhancements with Cisco UCS and XenDesktop and Citrix XenServer®.
Joint Go-To-Market Investment
In addition, the two companies will invest in joint go-to-market activities that will focus on driving primary product and services demand in high growth market areas such as desktop virtualization and cloud markets.
During Citrix Synergy in Barcelona taking place on October25 - 27, Cisco will be showcasing the first deliverables of this strategic alliance and other VXI solutions at the Cisco stand # 204.
Joint Customer Success Fuels Expanded Collaboration
Early successes of the companies' collaboration around desktop virtualization are evident with Seattle Children's Hospital and University of Tennessee at Knoxville.
- The University of Tennessee at Knoxville selected Citrix XenDesktop running on Cisco
infrastructure to provide free, anytime access to desktops, applications, resources and personal files to more than 27,000 students. (Link to the announcement)
- To provide a faster, more mobile and fully transparent computing experience for its practitioners, Seattle Children's Hospital recently selected hosted virtual desktops powered by Citrix XenDesktop and the Cisco Unified Computing System. Today, nearly 5,500 workstations have been transitioned throughout the hospital. (Link to case study)
Phil Sherburne, vice president, Enterprise Systems and Architectures, Cisco
"Cisco is collaborating with Citrix on a broad range of virtualization technologies. Our first deliverables will be focused on giving end users a rich multimedia experience of voice, video and data on their virtual desktops and apps over the Cisco Intelligent Network, so that from any device from wherever they are, IT managers can deliver the same superior experience at a lower cost."
Bob Schultz, group vice president and general manager, Enterprise Desktops and Apps group at Citrix
"Citrix and Cisco have completed the first year of a very successful collaboration in desktop virtualization that has helped to expand the market and accelerate the success of customers worldwide. This expanded agreement will lay the groundwork to deliver a wide range of market-leading, integrated solutions that allow customers to embrace consumerization and deliver IT services with unparalleled efficiency and impact."
- Blog: Can an Alliance Make Desktop Virtualization Easier? Gary says yes! by Pamela Ferrill, Cisco
- Blog: Citrix-Cisco Alliance Means Faster Innovation for our Customers by Sumit Dhawan, Citrix
- Blog: Customers Drive Citrix and Cisco to Expand Collaboration in Desktop Virtualization by John Fanelli, Citrix
- Blog: The Future is now with Cisco VXI and Citrix by Brad Peterson, Citrix
- Video: Cisco and Citrix: Delivering Rich-Media-Enabled Virtual Desktops
- Video: Cisco VXI with Citrix XenDesktop
- Announcement: Oct. 12, 2011 - Cisco Desktop Virtualization Solution Brings Unified Voice and Video to Virtual Environments
- Announcement: Sept. 8, 2010 -Cisco and Citrix Deliver Comprehensive Desktop Virtualization Solution
Follow Us Online
- Citrix and Cisco Strategic Alliance page
- Cisco VXI: Desktop Virtualization
- Cisco Virtual Desktop with Citrix XenDesktop page
- Citrix XenDesktop page
- Citrix HDX technology page
- Citrix FlexCast technology page
- Cisco Unified Computing System page
- Citrix on Facebook
- Cisco on Facebook
- Sign up for Cisco news: RSS Feed for Cisco
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
Citrix Systems, Inc. (NASDAQ:CTXS) is a leading provider of virtual computing solutions that help people work and play from anywhere on any device. More than 230,000 enterprises rely on Citrix to create better ways for people, IT and business to work through virtual meetings, desktops and datacenters. Citrix virtualization, networking and cloud solutions deliver over 100 million corporate desktops and touch 75 percent of Internet users each day. Citrix partners with over 10,000 companies in 100 countries. Annual revenue in 2010 was $1.87 billion.
This release contains forward-looking statements which are made pursuant to the safe harbor provisions of Section 27A of the Securities Act of 1933 and of Section 21E of the Securities Exchange Act of 1934. The forward-looking statements in this release do not constitute guarantees of future performance. Those statements involve a number of factors that could cause actual results to differ materially, including risks associated with the impact of the global economy and uncertainty in the IT spending environment, revenue growth and recognition of revenue, products and services, their development and distribution, product demand and pipeline, economic and competitive factors, the Company's key strategic relationships, acquisition and related integration risks as well as other risks detailed in the Company's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Citrix assumes no obligation to update any forward-looking information contained in this press release or with respect to the announcements described herein.
The development, release and timing of any features or functionality described for our products remains at our sole discretion and is subject to change without notice or consultation. The information provided is for informational purposes only and is not a commitment, promise or legal obligation to deliver any material, code or functionality and should not be relied upon in making purchasing decisions or incorporated into any contract.
Citrix®, XenDesktop®, HDX™, Citrix Receiver™, XenApp™ and XenServer® and are trademarks of Citrix Systems, Inc. and/or one or more of its subsidiaries, and may be registered in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and in other countries. Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.