SAN JOSE, Calif., and LAS VEGAS, April 1, 2009 - At CTIA WIRELESS 2009®, Cisco announced that Verizon Wireless, operator of the nation's largest wireless voice and 3G data networks, was named winner of the inaugural Cisco Joint Operational Excellence Quality Award. The award recognizes the service provider that best demonstrates excellence in operational metrics, cost management, and product and service performance.
- Cisco recently presented the inaugural Cisco Joint Operational Excellence Quality Award to Verizon Wireless at Verizon Wireless' Basking Ridge, N.J. headquarters.
- Verizon Wireless operates the nation's largest wireless voice and 3G data networks, providing service to more than 80 million customers.
- The Verizon Wireless network incorporates leading Cisco technologies, including the Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System, the industry's only carrier routing system offering continuous system operation, service flexibility, and system longevity. Verizon Wireless is also deploying the new Cisco ASR 9000 Series Routers and Cisco ASR 1000 Series Routers to expand both capacity and capabilities of backhaul for its 3G/4G Mobile Internet services.
- The Cisco Joint Operational Excellence Quality Award is decided upon by a panel of Cisco executives who review nominations from field teams worldwide, using the following criteria:
- Operational excellence, engineering team efficiency and effectiveness
- Thought leadership orientation and the proactive pursuit of new services
- Operational metrics improvements for improved availability
- Cost management and cost reduction, for greater shareholder return
- "When we say we operate the nation's most reliable wireless network, we mean it and we work every day to make sure that statement is true," said Nicola Palmer, vice president of network support, Verizon Wireless. "The Cisco Joint Operational Excellence Quality Award is the result of the hard work and dedication of our network teams and is a confirmation of the successful collaboration between Verizon Wireless and Cisco."
- "Such incredible reliability supports Verizon Wireless' goal of operating the nation's most reliable wireless voice and data network," said Pankaj Patel, senior vice president, Cisco. "Verizon Wireless is on the very leading edge of service and network innovations to deliver the best experience possible for its customers. We are extremely proud that advanced Cisco technologies, such as the largest worldwide deployment of the Cisco CRS-1 Carrier Routing System and the new Cisco ASR 9000 and 1000 Series Routers, along with our Advanced Support Services, are able to help Verizon Wireless achieve success."