Cisco deploys for Hrvatski Telekom d.d. an End-to-End Solution for First Phase of TeraStream Network in Croatia
Zagreb, CROATIA, December 10, 2012 – Cisco today announced that Hrvatski Telekom, Croatia’s largest telecommunications company, is using Cisco’s end-to-end solution in its new TeraStream cloud-enabled Internet Protocol (IP) architecture. Cisco is supplying the end-to-end network solution to enable the first phase of this landmark deployment. The first live pilot network was launched today. Operated by Deutsche Telekom subsidiary Hrvatski Telekom (T-HT), it is already providing advanced broadband services to residential users in the Zagreb area of Croatia.
Cisco and Deutsche Telekom have been working together since 2011 to develop and validate the TeraStream architecture and deliver innovative capabilities and services. This novel and open architecture substantially reduces network and system complexity, improves operational efficiency, and enables exciting new IP cloud-based telecommunications services for T-HT’s customers in a small fraction of the time typically required to provision and launch new offerings. The TeraStream architecture transforms the way telecommunications networks are built and operated and the way services are delivered, providing optimization and better monetization of carriers’ network assets.
Key elements of the architecture include all-IPv6 streamlined routing architecture; fully converged IP and optical layers with 100G coherent technology; integrated cloud service centers, enabling virtualized network services and applications for rapid service innovation; programmatic interfaces aligned with the software-defined networking (SDN) architecture for real-time automation and OSS; and customer self-service management capabilities.
According to the most recent Cisco® Visual Networking Index Forecast, global IP traffic has increased eightfold in the last five years and will increase threefold over the next five years. With this exploding traffic growth, combined with complex traffic patterns, service providers are seeking networking solutions that deliver converged IP and optical networks for agility and efficiency and to provide bandwidth scale to interconnect cloud data centers and connect users to services.
Cisco has delivered the following technologies in this landmark deployment:
- Advanced IP and optical networking. The Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers provide the initial foundation of the TeraStream routing infrastructure, connecting end customers to services over 100 Gbps integrated optical links. Cisco is the industry leader in integrating routing and optical technologies, enabling Deutsche Telekom and other service providers to build and operate networks that are simpler and more cost-effective to operate, and accelerate delivery of new services.
- End-to-end IPv6. Cisco’s IPv6 leadership enables the TeraStream vision of all-IPv6 networking, with innovative Softwire technology, allowing customers to continue to access existing IPv4 Internet and services.
- Cloud service center. TeraStream integrates cloud computing resources and application virtualization into the network, enabling unprecedented speed and agility for new service deployment. Cisco is providing the initial data center foundation as a first step towards achieving Deutsche Telekom’s Infrastructure Cloud goals. The solution is based on the Cisco Unified Computing System™ (Cisco UCS®), orchestrated with the recently launched Cisco OpenStack Edition based on emerging industry standards.
- Home gateway. The dual-band Linksys® Smart Wi-Fi Router N900 (EA4500) has been tailored to Deutsche Telekom’s TeraStream requirements, providing a first home gateway solution with wireless speeds up to 450 Mbps. The home router allows for IPv4 and IPv6 wireless home networking and high speed access to Deutsche Telekom services and the Internet.
- End-to-end service and network management. Cisco’s Agile Business Architecture (ABA) is the initial operation support system for TeraStream.
- Customer Portal. Cisco’s network management technology group created an innovative customer sign-on and self-service portal specifically for the TeraStream trial. Based on the TeraStream IPv6 based addressing schema, the network acts as the inventory source for service creation and leads to improved consistency and less synchronization between different inventories in the IT.
- Turn-key Solution Delivery. Cisco Advanced Services, with its local Gold Certified Partner Combis, 100% owned by T-HT, delivers this project as a turn-key solution to Deutsche Telekom subsidiary Hrvatski Telekom (T-HT).
Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, Service Provider Networking Group, Cisco
“Amid the ongoing convergence of technologies for the next-generation Internet, Cisco sees a unique opportunity to combine the best elements from optical, routing and cloud domains to enable service providers to more efficiently and quickly capture market opportunities. By using a wide range of innovative, programmable, and elastic Cisco solutions, service providers can optimize service delivery in entirely new ways while both growing their businesses and delivering new network experiences to their customers. TeraStream represents the service provider network of the future and is well aligned with Cisco’s vision. Cisco is honored to partner so closely with Deutsche Telekom on such a significant program.”
The Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Router
- Cisco Visual Networking Index home page: http://www.cisco.com/go/vni
Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2011-2016
- Read: Cisco SP360 Blog
Cisco, Deutsche Telekom, Terastream, ASR9K, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, 100G, SDN, Software- Defined Networking
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco equipment in Europe is provided by Cisco Systems International B.V. and Cisco International Limited, wholly owned subsidiaries of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.