Charter Deploys Cisco CRS-3 and Cisco ASR 9000 Series Routers; Enhances Experience for Residential and Commercial Customers
SAN JOSE, Calif., August 15, 2011 – Cisco today announced that Charter Communications, a leading communications and entertainment services provider and the fourth-largest cable operator in the United States,is deploying the Cisco® CRS-3 Carrier Routing System and Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers to deliver enhanced video, data, voice and mobile backhaul services to residential and commercial customers.
Charter continues to invest to stay ahead of increasing demands being driven by both video and advanced collaboration applications. Residential customers are empowered to enjoy personalized viewing experiences from all types of content sources, backed by this best-of-class Cisco Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN).
- Cisco provided clear technology innovation and longevity to meet Charter's bandwidth requirements, including 100 Gigabit Ethernet, protecting its infrastructure investment and readying it for future video needs and advanced business services.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 includes unique video capabilities, such as high-performance multicast, integrated content caching, in-line video performance monitoring, and zero-loss video transport technology.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 and Cisco CRS-3 utilize the modular Cisco IOS® XR software operating system, and work together to simplify network operations while enabling comprehensive system redundancy and network resiliency.
- Use of the Cisco IP NGN architecture aids Charter's efforts to support IPv6 traffic, necessary to support the huge boost in IP-connected devices used in consumer, business, mobile and machine-to-machine environments.
- Cisco predicts that the number of network-connected devices will be more than 15 billion, twice the world's population, by 2015. In the fifth annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast (2010-2015) released June 1, the company also said the total amount of global Internet traffic will quadruple by 2015 and reach 966 exabytes per year.
- Don Detampel, executive vice president, technology and president, commercial services, Charter
"The Cisco CRS-3 and Cisco ASR 9000 platforms are the foundations of the highly-reliable, scalable and agile network that Charters' customers rely on. As we continue our sharp focus on the greater convergence of video, Internet and phone, we are pleased with the network reliability these platforms deliver.Our customers have high expectations of us and our network, and we aim to exceed those expectations."
- Surya Panditi, senior vice president and general manager, core technology group, Cisco
"Charter has selected best-in-class platforms for both its network core and edge, based on scale, intelligence and service flexibility. With these two industry-leading platforms and comprehensive architectural approach, it is well-equipped to address the video, mobile and cloud computing service demands of the zettabyte era."
- Charter Communications
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers
- Cisco Carrier Routing System
- Cisco Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Cisco Visual Networking Index home page
- Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2010-2015
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blogor follow us on Twitter @SP360
Cisco, ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Service Routers, ASR 9000, ASR, Carrier Routing System, CRS, CRS-3, Carrier Ethernet, Edge, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, Charter Communications, Don Detampel, Surya Panditi
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Charter (NASDAQ: CHTR) is a leading broadband communications company and the fourth-largest cable operator in the United States. Charter provides a full range of advanced broadband services, including advanced Charter TV® video entertainment programming, Charter Internet® access, and Charter Phone®. Charter Business® similarly provides scalable, tailored, and cost-effective broadband communications solutions to business organizations, such as business-to-business Internet access, data networking, business telephone, video and music entertainment services, and wireless backhaul. Charter's advertising sales and production services are sold under the Charter Media® brand. More information about Charter can be found at charter.com.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Most Recent NewsCisco Named Official Network Infrastructure Supporter of Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games
Today, 03:00 AM
Cisco Achieves New Milestone in India Pay-TV Market, Reaches More Than 30 Million Digital Homes and 150 Million Viewers
Internet of Everything Expected to Generate $613 Billion in Profits in 2013