Kabel Deutschland Selects Cisco ASR 9000 Series Routing Platform for Upgraded Broadband and Video Network
Investment Driven by Increased Demand for Faster Internet and Premium Video Services by German Cable Operator
SAN JOSE, Calif., August 15 2011 -- Cisco today announced that Kabel Deutschland (KD), Germany's largest cable operator, is deploying Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers to aggregate and distribute enhanced video, data and voice services throughout its converged Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network (IP NGN).
The investment is driven by KD's desire to expand the capabilities of its Premium TV (HD DVR, HD Pay TV, and Video on Demand) services to its 8.8 million customers. The upgraded network will also lay the foundation for future services such as 3D TV channels and faster broadband speeds to meet ever-increasing consumer bandwidth requirements.
- KD customers can currently receive more than 100 digital and 32 analogue TV channels. The additional bandwidth will enable more high definition, Video on Demand and future 3D television channels.
- KD broadband customers can already surf the Internet at speeds up to 100 Mbit/s using DOCSIS 3.0 technology. The increased scale of the upgraded network will facilitate future services that will offer Internet speeds up to 1,000 Mbit/s (1 Gbit/s) in addition to video and voice services.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 Series is designed to deliver capacity of up to 96 Tbps per system along with rich-service capabilities, while maintaining a reduced carbon footprint. It utilizes the modular Cisco IOS® XR software operating system, which simplifies network operations while enabling comprehensive system redundancy and network resiliency.
- The Cisco ASR 9000 Series includes unique video capabilities such as high-performance multicast, integrated content caching, in-line video performance monitoring and zero-loss video transport technology.
- Cisco predicts that the number of network-connected devices will be more than 15 billion, twice the world's population, by 2015. In the fifth annual Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast (2010-2015) released June 1, the company also said the total amount of global Internet traffic will quadruple by 2015 and reach 966 exabytes per year.
- Lorenz Glatz, chief technical officer, Kabel Deutschland
"With the Cisco ASR 9000 Series, we have gained significant technological, operational and financial advantages. The Cisco ASR 9000 Series is designed to address the massive surges in video traffic that are beginning to flood Internet Protocol networks and positions us to meet the bandwidth challenges of the future. The Cisco IOS XR is amazingly stable and robust, both key requirements for a nonstop video experience."
- Surya Panditi, vice president and general manager, core technology group, Cisco
"Kabel Deutschland has positioned its core network to meet the demands of increasingly complex video and content-rich media transport by deploying the Cisco Carrier Routing System. Now with the Cisco ASR 9000 Series at the edge, Kabel Deutschland is in a position to deliver a multitude of video, voice and data services and manage the demands of visual networking."
- Kabel Deutschland
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers
- Cisco Carrier Ethernet Solutions
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Forecast Web Site
- Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2010-2015
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @SP360
Cisco, Kabel Deutschland, KD, ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Service Routers, ASR 9000, ASR, Carrier Ethernet, Edge, Internet Protocol Next-Generation Network, IP NGN, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI, Lorenz Glatz, Surya Panditi
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
About Kabel Deutschland
Kabel Deutschland (KD), Germany's largest cable operator, offers its customers digital, high definition (HD) and analogue TV, Pay TV and DVR offerings, Video on Demand, broadband Internet (up to 100 Mbit/s) and fixed line Phone services via cable as well as mobile services in cooperation with an industry partner. The publicly listed company (MDAX, MSCI Europe, Stoxx 600 Europe) operates the cable networks in 13 German federal states and supplies its services to approximately 8.7 million connected households. As per end of fiscal year 2010/2011, Kabel Deutschland had approximately 2,700 employees.In fiscal year 2010/2011 (12 months ended March 31, 2011), the Company reported revenues of €1,599 million and Adjusted EBITDA of €729 million.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners.The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.