Belgacom Selects Cisco to Enable Innovative Mobile Internet Services
Cisco solution to provide 4G connectivity for Belgacom subscribers
Brussels, Belgium - October 8, 2013 - Cisco today announced that Belgacom, a leading telecommunications service provider, combining fixed, mobile information technology (IT) and media services, has selected the Cisco® Aggregated Services Router (ASR) 5000 to enable the evolution of its network and provide subscribers with superior mobile Internet experiences.
The Cisco ASR 5000 will provide the foundation for Belgacom's new 4G long-term evolution (LTE) network, enabling it to deliver higher bandwidth and greater intelligence for faster mobile Internet services and an enhanced user experience for Belgacom subscribers. In addition, the Cisco ASR 5000 will enable unified management of Belgacom's existing 2G and 3G mobile Internet services.
- In the first three months of 2013, Belgacom saw its mobile Internet traffic double in comparison with the same period in 2012, supporting predictions made by the Cisco® Visual Networking Index that forecast global mobile data traffic to grow at a compound annual rate of 66% between 2012 and 2017.
- With this deployment, Belgacom will be able to not only enhance network speed and connectivity but also offer innovative services that enrich the subscriber experience and provide further opportunity to scale and monetize their network.
- Belgacom, which has the objective to be a sustainable, innovative and customer-centric service company, will be deploying Cisco's ASR 5000 Series for EPC bearer functionality.
- The Cisco ASR 5000 Series, the industry's leading mobile packet core solution, is purpose-built for the complexities of the mobile network. It is a robust multimedia services platform that brings a new level of network and customer intelligence critical for delivering real-time, personalized mobile services.
- Cisco mobile packet core technologies will include co-located Gateway GPRS Support Nodes (GGSN), Serving Gateway (S-GW) and Packet Data Network Gateway (P-GW) to simplify network topology, provide service uniformity and simplify management.
- Laurent Claus, Vice-President, Customer ICT Services, Belgacom
"We pride ourselves on enabling innovative new services for our subscribers, and through our work with Cisco we are able to offer greatly increased speed and capacity with the confidence that we have a platform to support future growth. We are delighted to be working with Cisco in an area that has such a positive impact on the end-user experience."
- Jim Scott, Managing Director, Mobility, EMEAR, Cisco
"Belgacom's approach ensures that it has the consumer in mind. Through our work together, it is helping ensure a backbone for connected services that will shape its platform for years to come. We look forward to experiencing the evolution of the Internet with them."
- About Belgacom
- About Cisco
- Cisco ASR 5000 Series
- Whitepaper: Top 10 Considerations for a Successful Evolved Packet Core (EPC) Deployment
- Information on Cisco® service provider products and technologies
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities, visit the Cisco® SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitterat @CiscoSPMobility.
- Cisco® Service Provider Mobility Community.
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.