Cisco's ‘Videoscape Distribution Suite' Revolutionizes Video Content Delivery to Multiple Screens
Cisco to Showcase Industry's Most Comprehensive Next-Generation Content Delivery Network Portfolio at IBC 2012
AMSTERDAM, IBC, September 7, 2012 – Cisco revealed today its expanded and enhanced content delivery network portfolio , branded as the Cisco Videoscape™ Distribution Suite (VDS). Cisco® VDS is an open platform that delivers video content across multiple screens, multiple protocols, multiple applications and multiple networks. VDS serves as the network distribution engine behind the Videoscape™ architecture. It is a complete, interoperable and holistic solution that bridges cloud and network functionality.
Several major global service provider customers, including Deutsche Telekom, Telecom Italia, SBB-Telemach, BT and others, are relying on Cisco's Videoscape Distribution Suite to empower video experiences delivered across PCs, TVs and mobile devices, including smartphones and tablets. The Cisco Videoscape Distribution Suite builds on the current Cisco content delivery network (CDN) service footprint serving more than 50 global customers, with over 3 million cloud-based time-shifted and live video streams delivered.
- With the introduction of VDS, Cisco is the only company in the industry providing a complete product suite with all the capabilities needed for third-generation content delivery.
- Cisco's Videoscape Distribution Suite will be showcased at IBC 2012 at the Cisco stand in the Connected World Hall 14, 14.115.
- Cisco VDS complements the Cisco Videoscape Conductor platform for cost-efficient experience management across unmanaged networks.
- Cisco VDS facilitates creation of new revenue streams through consistent, highest quality live and time-shifted video experiences across any device as well as through advanced advertising across devices.
- Cisco VDS simplifies CDN management while reducing operating costs through consolidated live origin services and recording, edge caching particularly for OTT content, Radio Access Network (RAN) optimization, real-time CDN analytics and remote provisioning capabilities.
- Cisco VDS components, powered by third-generation VDS hardware, scale independently with no need to upgrade the entire CDN for additional capacity or streaming support.
New Benefits for Consumers & Service Providers Include:
- Centralized live and time-shifted content delivered across any device (managed or unmanaged)
- Cloud-based recording, consolidated video origin capabilities
- Transparent caching for economical over-the-top (OTT) content delivery
- Expanded options for CDN wholesale or CDN Federation
- Sophisticated analytics/provisioning and more
New Videoscape Distribution Suite Products:
- Cisco VDS Video Recording (VDS-VR) for cloud-driven recording of live and time-shifted content.
- Cisco VDS Origin Server (VDS-OS), which consolidates origin server functions and converts all incoming content into a common file that simplifies HTTP Adaptive Bit Rate (ABR) and MPEG formatted distribution.
- Cisco VDS Optimization Engine (VDS-OE), which offloads RAN/packet core traffic while reducing transport costs.
- Cisco VDS Service Broker (VDS-SB) consisting of service selector per caching node and CDN interconnect capabilities required for CDN Federation.
- Cisco VDS Transparent Caching (VDS-TC), which offloads OTT and other unmanaged content from the network core to the edge.
In addition, Cisco has integrated significant enhancements to the current Videoscape Distribution Suite Portfolio:
- Cisco VDS hardware with the latest third-generation features such as tighter integration with Cisco UCS data center solution, Cisco routers and switches.
- Cisco VDS Service Manager (VDS-SM), a software platform for real-time analytics, service provisioning and diagnostics.
- Cisco VDS Television (VDS-TV), which delivers live and time-shifted content to managed devices such as set-top boxes or multiscreen gateways.
- Cisco VDS Internet Streamer (VDS-IS) for managing and streaming Internet-originated content to the end device for retail CDN and wholesale CDN markets.
- Klaus J. Haber, head of Platform Integration Media, Deutsche Telekom AG Products & Innovation
"Deutsche Telekom has been working to ensure our CDN infrastructure can support the increasing demands for video on multiple screens while driving efficiencies for our operations. Cisco's Videoscape Distribution Suite provides us with a complete content delivery network that can manage the complex workflow and ecosystem challenges associated with video, including new applications to help solve those challenges."
- Dragica Pilipovic Chaffey, CEO, Serbia Broadband SBB-Telemach
"It is essential that we have a future-proof, world-class content delivery network in place to provide our customers with a platform to access video content on demand, from multiple devices. Cisco has been an innovative business and technology partner, and has helped us to bridge together legacy and future CDN technologies to simplify our network infrastructure, allowing us to drive new revenue opportunities."
- Edwin Paalvast, senior vice president, Service Provider Group, Cisco EMEAR
"Previously the only options for our customers looking to enhance their Content Delivery Networks were isolated, disparate products that each addressed a specific problem. I believe Cisco is the only company who can offer a complete, comprehensive CDN solution today. With Cisco's Videoscape Distribution Suite, our customers can optimize their current network infrastructure to deliver a wide range of video services. By integrating cloud and network components, we can offer our customers a solution that helps them improve both their top line and bottom line, by creating new revenue streams and minimizing operational expenditure."
- About Cisco Videoscape: http://www.cisco.com/go/videoscape
- Cisco Service Provider blog: SP360: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow Cisco IBC news and activities on Twitter: #CiscoIBC and #Videoscape
Cisco, cloud, cloud-DVR, Content Delivery Network, CDN, Dragica Pilipovic Chaffey, Edwin Paalvast, IPTV, Klaus J. Haber, service provider, Internet video, IP, IP video, network, network DVR, online video, OTT, Serbia Broadband SBB-Telemach, streaming video, video, Videoscape, Videoscape Distribution Suite, VDS, Deutsche Telekom
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.