High-Definition Video-Enabled Web Conferencing Improves Medical Care and Access to Specialists in Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina, July 31, 2012 – The Stamboulian Group announced that it has implemented a Cisco® collaboration solution that allows healthcare specialists to consult with each other, improving the quality of medical care for HIV patients who live in remote cities such as Neuquén, Córdoba and Salta. The solution, based on Cisco WebEx® web conferencing technology also helps specialists to discuss solutions for infectious disease pathologies as well as other treatments and facilitates researchers' collaboration and medical training.
WebEx® enables one Stamboulian clinic and two Helios Salud clinics to perform specialized consultations among professionals working remotely, demonstrating that geographic distance is no longer an obstacle to providing high-quality medical care.
- This system facilitates the interaction between specialists, no matter where they work or live. It improves the quality of patient care and the efficiency of medical attention.
- It allows for case discussions and "grand rounds" among HIV specialists
- It accelerates access to specialists for interconsultations.
- It optimizes resources in an efficient way.
- This solution also enabled Grupo Stamboulian clinics to collaborate with the University of Miami using a new medical protocol for training.
- This telemedicine project is an initiative of the Stamboulian Group and is part of the group's strategy for telemedicine and telehealth. It has been promoted by Dr. Daniel Stamboulian, and defines a new modality of services to improve the quality of HIV and infectious disease treatments using teleprocesses in medical administration. The project consists of Web-based solutions and integrates electronic joint consultations and trainings, connecting remote sites to three specialty centers, maintaining efficiency in clinical decision-making and therapeutic resolution.
Dr Daniel Stamboulian, general director of Stamboulian Group
"We strongly believe in telemedicine and are innovating in this field as part of our long term strategy. Health is one of the great concerns, and this service will shorten waiting times, facilitate opportune diagnosis, and keep illnesses from getting worse."
Marta Garcia, executive director of Helios Salud
"The telemedicine project in Helios Salud is in line with the corporate e-health program whose objective is to make high-end technologies available for the existing health care system."
Alejandro Cambours, general manager of Helios Salud
"We needed a powerful communication tool with excellent-quality video and audio that could share visual references from a variety of media. It was also important that we be able to connect people from multiple locations, and that the tool be easy to learn and use. Cisco WebEx technology met all of these requirements."
Gustavo Menéndez, managing director, Cisco Latin America, Business Transformation
"The use of Cisco WebEx technology brings about more equitable and more effective access to health care for patients, regardless of where they live, which has generated a change in the traditional paradigm of health care delivery."
About Stamboulian Group
The Infectology Center was created by Dr Daniel Stamboulian in 1974, to carry out co-ordination and systematic management of an infectious disease service for the country.
About Helios Salud
For more than 25 years, Helios Salud has been caring for HIV patients helping them to improve their quality of life.
We believed HIV presented an opportunity for quality care, research and study so we created a Center of Care and Support based on a firm ethic line and the highest professional standards, prioritizing the patient and his/her family and providing them with a worm human consideration and quality of care.
Our "Helios Salud" ambulatory center was founded in September 1997 and today it provides integral HIV care to more than 3500 patients per month
Our multidisciplinary team is highly committed and passionate about helping our patients, doing research and providing continued medical education.
Nowadays, "Helios Salud" has a network of professionals around the country and has developed professional research links in several countries around the world.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com and http://newsroom.cisco.com/latam.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Most Recent NewsHow The Internet Is Preserving Korea's Cultural Heritage
By Amy Cortese 5/21/2013
Why Power Companies are Delving into Data
By Jason Deign 5/20/2013
Senior Executives Say Cloud-Based Collaboration Leads to Higher Business Performance