Cisco Supports Chunghwa Telecom Cloud Service Optimizing Cloud Applications and Expanding Cloud Business Opportunities
Enhances Chunghwa Telecom ‘hicloud' Cloud Server Service with Cisco's Unified Data Center Architecture
TAIWAN, May 14, 2012 – Cisco today announced that Chunghwa Telecom, a leading cloud service provider in Taiwan, enhanced its ‘hicloud' Cloud Server Service with the deployment of the Cisco® Unified Data Center architecture. This offers virtual server computing services through a stable, highly secure and reliable network platform, helping enterprises improve IT system and facility utilization, and swiftly and flexibly providing computing resources for enterprises, effectively paving the way for cloud business opportunities.
In the inaugural Cisco Global Cloud Index (2010-2015), Cisco estimates global cloud computing traffic will grow 12-fold from 130 exabytes to reach a total of 1.6 zettabytes annually by 2015 – the equivalent of 22 trillion hours of streaming music or 1.6 trillion hours of online high-definition (HD) video streaming. The study also predicts that over 50 percent of computing workloads in data centers will be cloud-based by 2014. Cloud is becoming a critical element for the future of IT, and in addressing today's business demands for agility, continuity and security amid a dynamic economic ecosystem.
Cisco Unified Data Center is a key component of Cisco CloudVerse®, a framework that combines the foundational elements needed to enable organizations to build, manage and connect public, private and hybrid clouds. Cisco CloudVerse combines these key cloud elements – Unified Data Center, Cloud Intelligent Network, and Cloud Applications and Services – enabling businesses to realize all of the benefits of clouds: improved agility, better economics, enhanced security and a dynamic, assured experience. It responds to the prevalence of cloud computing in a world of many clouds.
"With cloud computing data center technologies, not only can enterprises reduce the repeat purchase of IT facilities, but they can also take advantage of virtualization to respond swiftly to market needs, simplify management procedures and go green by improving resource utilization. Cisco is very pleased to support far-sighted Chunghwa Telecom in building a high-tech next-generation cloud data center with high scalability and greater computing capacity by deploying Cisco's standardized and high-performance Unified Data Center architecture. This will enable Chunghwa Telecom to deliver highly secure and stable ‘hicloud' Cloud Server Services to their customers, setting a new paradigm for the use of the cloud platform," said Frank Wu, general manager, Cisco Taiwan.
Chunghwa Telecom's ‘hicloud' Cloud Server Service is officially launched, providing virtual server space, cloud data security and protection, applications for smart devices and program access platforms, and more. Chunghwa Telecom indicated that the cloud computing plan has two objectives. The first is to offer end-to-end cloud services, to develop new services and to create a cloud service market. The second is to deliver cloud solutions for private cloud, public cloud and government cloud. The company's ‘hicloud' service provides an agile and highly secure IT cloud platform and infrastructure, together with affordable and highly scalable solutions, allowing enterprises to deploy cloud computing with ease.
This deployment of Cisco Unified Data Center architecture by Chunghwa Telecom comprises the Cisco Unified Computing System™ and Cisco Nexus® switches. The architecture as a whole provides a number of powerful features and multiple values:
- Effective use of resources: Saves server resource usage and equipment maintenance costs, reduces cabling and manpower costs, solves problems of resource and deployment wastage, and enables centralized network resource usage while lowering operating costs.
- Improved instant responsiveness: Demand for resource access is no longer restricted by location or time; dispersed employees and partners can access resources at any time, addressing employees' concerns about synchronization and collaboration.
- Highly flexible system deployment: High scalability for enterprises to expand or shrink virtual and physical facilities based on their business needs; high compatibility can also protect enterprises' original IT investment.
- Highly secure information: Cisco products provide comprehensive integrated data security and protection, allowing enterprises to transmit data through high-quality network cloud architecture, while effectively controlling access to information and facilitating traffic management.
In order to help Chunghwa Telecom import and deploy cloud architecture, Cisco has further helped conduct various technology tests to ensure the service quality of ‘hicloud':
- Rapid deployment of server: Conducted rapid deployment of physical host based on the required system resources;
- Rapid deployment of virtual host: Achieved a rapid deployment of 80 hosts within 10 minutes;
- Rapid provisioning of system resources: Swiftly adjusted cloud resources to address dynamic requirements according to business needs;
- Server failover: No additional deployment of network or storage devices required when the host switches system service;
- Storage architecture with no single point of failure: Improved data security and system availability.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco products are supplied in Taiwan by the channel partners of Cisco Systems International, B.V., a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.