Bell Mobility Delivers on 4G LTE Rollout with Cisco Mobile Internet Solutions
Increasing Demand for High-Bandwidth Mobile Services Drives Need for Greater Network Performance and Intelligence
BARCELONA/Mobile World Congress – February 27, 2011 – Bell Mobility continues to build out its 4G Long Term Evolution (LTE) mobile services with the Cisco® ASR 5000 Series mobile multimedia core platform. Bell Mobility now delivers 4G LTE services to its most populous markets in western Canada, Ontario, Quebec and Nova Scotia.
The Cisco ASR 5000 Series is the foundation of the packet core for Bell Mobility's LTE network, delivering higherbandwidth and greater intelligence for faster mobile Internet services and improved user experiences.
- Bell Mobility has completed the rollout of 4G LTE services to customers in Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Yellowknife, London, Greater Toronto Area, Hamilton, Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, Belleville, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and Halifax-Dartmouth.
- With capital expenditures of approximately $3 billion per year, Bell is rapidly expanding Canada's communications infrastructure with ongoing fibre and mobile broadband rollouts.
- Designated as a 4G mobile specification, LTE is designed to provide multi-megabit bandwidth, more efficient use of the radio network, latency reduction and improved mobility. This combination aims to enhance the user's interaction with the network and further drive the demand for mobile multimedia services. With mobile broadband, users can more readily access Internet services such as online video, social networking, and interactive gaming - all on the go.
- The Cisco ASR 5000 Series is purpose-built for the complexities of the mobile network. It is a robust multimedia services platform that brings a new level of network and customer intelligence to the mobile network. Such intelligence is critical to delivering real-time, personalized mobile services.
Key components of the Cisco ASR 5000 Series include:
- The Cisco Mobility Management Entity (MME), which manages multiple back-end functions, including authentication, paging, mobility with 3GPP, 2G and 3G nodes, roaming and other functions.
- The Cisco Serving Gateway provides superior throughput and processing
- Cisco Packet Data Network Gateway acts as policy enforcement and manages quality of service (QoS).
- By combining multiple functions into a single carrier-class platform like the Cisco ASR 5000 Series, Bell can reduce signaling overhead, distribute session management, and take full advantage of the network's control and user plane capabilities.
- According to the latest Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2010 to 2015 released in February 2012, worldwide mobile data traffic will increase 18-fold over the next five years, reaching 130 exabytes per year. By 2016 Cisco anticipates that global mobile data traffic will outgrow global fixed data traffic by three times.
Stephen Howe, executive vice president and chief technology officer at Bell
"4G LTE is the next step in ensuring Bell continues to deliver the best networks across Canada to consumers and business customers. The Cisco ASR 5000 Series helps us provide a superior wireless experience and offer new and unique mobile services, now and in the future."
Kelly Ahuja, senior vice president, general manager, Service Provider Mobility, Cisco
"We are pleased to partner with Bell Mobility as it deploys its LTE network. As theexpectations of mobile users increase, the need for intelligent traffic management, scale, performance and accurate reporting increases. With the Cisco ASR 5000 Series, Bell has a market-leading packet core, built upon an intelligent platform that can integrate multiple functions and is uniquely equipped to accelerate Bell's ability to meet customer needs and grow its business."
- Bell Mobility
- Cisco Service Provider Solutions
- Cisco ASR 5000 Series Mobile Multimedia Core Platform
- Cisco Mobile Internet Solutions (MOVE)
- Read more about Cisco's mobile Internet products and solutions
- Cisco Visual Networking Index home page
- Read the complete Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Forecast, 2010-2016
- For more information about Cisco's service provider news and activities visit the SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @SP360
Bell Canada, Bell Mobility, Cisco, ASR 5000 Series Aggregation Service Routers, ASR 5000, mobile Internet, Visual Networking Index Forecast, VNI,
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.