Cisco Drives the Mobile Internet for Enhanced Video Experience Across Wireless Networks
Cisco Introduces MOVE Solutions for Service Providers to Monetize and Optimize the Mobile Video Experience
BARCELONA, Spain, Feb. 14, 2011 From the 2011 GSMA Mobile World Congress, Cisco today announced Cisco® MOVE, a strategic framework that comprises new solutions to enable service providers to better manage, enhance and take financial advantage of the rapidly growing volume of mobile video and data traffic.
The new Cisco MOVE (Monetization, Optimization, Videoscape Experience) solutions include Cisco Mobile VideoscapeTM, Cisco Service Provider Wi-Fi and Cisco Adaptive Intelligent Routing (AIR). Cisco MOVE solutions represent the next phase of Cisco's Service Provider Mobility strategy, which enables service providers to better monetize and optimize their networks, while delivering personalized mobile services across wired and wireless networks.
The new Cisco MOVE solutions span the mobile network --from client to network to cloud -- and are designed to address the increasing volume of mobile data traffic particularly video. According to the recently released Cisco Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast for 2010 to 2015, two-thirds of the world's mobile data traffic will be video by 2015. Mobile video traffic will more than double every year between 2010 and 2015.
- Innovative technologies announced as part of the Cisco MOVE framework include:
- Cisco Mobile Videoscape, which enables mobile operators to deliver an enhanced mobile video experience to customers through new technology on the Cisco ASR 5000 and Cisco Unified Computing SystemTM platforms. These platforms link the mobile network to the larger video distribution network enabled by the Cisco Content Delivery Network capabilities of Cisco Videoscape. The solution also utilizes the capabilities of the new Cisco Videoscape Media Suite to offer efficient and cost-effective content management across multiple screens.
- Cisco Service Provider Wi-Fi Solution is an end-to-end, carrier-grade solution that allows service providers to efficiently utilize Wi-Fi for mobile data offload. This intelligent solution with the Cisco Next Generation Hotspot technology provides a platform with standardized seamless highly-secure authentication enabling roaming and delivering a host of new services and new mobile experiences. The solution also features the new Cisco Aironet 1550 Series Outdoor Wireless Access Point with Cisco CleanAir technology, and enables service providers to provide low-cost capacity and highly-secure coverage in targeted areas such as outdoor sporting venues and transportation corridors while offloading heavy mobile traffic loads.
- Cisco Adaptive Intelligent Routing (AIR), which lowers the cost of mobile data traffic by providing service intelligence throughout the network. Extending across the Cisco ASR 1000, Cisco ASR 5000 and Cisco ASR 9000 platforms, Cisco AIR distributes and shares network and customer intelligence broadly to interact and communicate on individual traffic types, and to optimize traffic routing and handling for the best service experience at the lowest cost. Cisco AIR enables intelligent decisions by the network of when and where to direct traffic.
- For Service Providers, Cisco MOVE solutions:
- Enables mobile operators to optimize the flow of mobile video traffic, reducing the associated radio access network (RAN) costs by up to 27 percent, according to a recently published white paper by ACG Research titled, "Hyperconnectivity and the Video Challenge: Can Cisco's MOVE Help the Mobile Operator?"
- Provides self-healing and self-optimizing for high reliability and high performance.
- Offloads cellular, video and data traffic onto a Wi-Fi network with the same level of service, enabling new services and revenue opportunities.
- Provides optimal quality and enhanced personalization and customization of the mobile video experience.
- Enables new business models through network intelligence while lowering costs.
- Provides smooth migration path to IPv6-capable infrastructures.
- For Consumers, Cisco MOVE solutions:
- Deliver a better mobile video experience optimized for higher quality, better reliability, and enhanced personalization and customization.
- Offer a better Wi-Fi experience with high performance and high reliability, as well as a customized and personalized mobile experience.
- Deliver new services available with new level of quality, performance and reliability.
- Prashant Gokarn, head-3G business, Reliance Communications, Ltd.
- Philippe Lucas, senior vice president, standardisation and ecosystems development, Orange
- Ash Dahod, senior vice president and general manager, Mobile Internet Technology Group, Cisco
- Ray Smets, vice president and general manager, Wireless Networking business unit, Cisco
"As the leading alternative operator in India, Reliance Communications prides itself on its ability to continually respond to the needs of all its customers by offering the latest multimedia and video services, on both its wireline and wireless networks, delivering the same high quality, reliability, and experience. Cisco's MOVE solution is a key industry milestone for next-generation mobile networks to develop, deploy and maintain advanced video services efficiently and cost-effectively."
"We are committed to improving our user's experience on Wi-Fi. That is why Orange is involved in the Cisco Next Generation Hotspot initiative with other industry players to develop seamless connectivity between 3G and Wi-Fi. We believe that a SIM-based authentication model will bring simplicity and enhanced security for customers, especially when roaming. We currently rely on Cisco's network capabilities to provide Orange Wi-Fi access in public hotspots covering more than 2,000 sites in France."
"MOVE is the next phase of Cisco's Service Provider Mobility strategy, which was introduced at last year's Mobile World Congress after Cisco acquired Starent Networks. As mobile operators work to manage and take advantage of the mobile video tidal wave, they are increasingly looking for monetization and optimization techniques that will move their bottom line and enhance their customer experience. We are addressing this with our Mobile Videoscape solution, Adaptive Intelligent Routing and Service Provider Wi-Fi solution. Each of these solutions allows the mobile operator to deliver higher quality, lower the cost and differentiate the video experience."
"Cisco is extending the power of Wi-Fi beyond the enterprise with new innovations that allow service providers to optimize and monetize their networks. Cisco's Next Generation Hotspot vision elevates the status of Wi-Fi as a trusted radio network on a par with cellular radio access networks, by enabling service providers to optimize their networks by offloading data traffic to Wi-Fi, ensuring a superior user experience with transparent authentication and roaming."
- Reliance Communications
- Read more about Cisco's mobile Internet products and solutions
- Cisco Visual Networking Index Global Mobile Data Traffic Forecast, 2010 to 2015
- Mobile Operator survey results and report
Survey of more than 50 mobile operators from around the world on network needs and business concerns, conducted by Heavy Reading
- Cisco Mobile Network Business Model and ACG Research white paper
- Cisco Videoscape solution
- Cisco partners demonstrating support and involvement with Cisco's Next Generation Hotspot technology
- Cisco ASR 5000
- Cisco Unified Computing System
- Cisco Aironet 1550 Series Wireless Access Point
- Cisco Service Provider solutions
- Read: Cisco SP360 Blog
- Follow the Cisco SP Mobility team on Twitter and the Cisco Mobility Community
- Follow the Cisco enterprise wireless team on Twitter, Facebook, and the Cisco Mobility blog
Cisco, wireless, mobility, service providers, mobile Internet, mobile video, Mobile Videoscape, Videoscape, Wi-Fi, Hotspot, Aironet, CleanAir, Adaptive Intelligent Routing, AIR, ASR, UCS, Ash Dahod, Ray Smets, Reliance Communications, Orange
RSS Feed for Cisco:
Cisco will demonstrate its new solutions at 2011 GSMA Mobile World Congress in stand 8A70, Feb. 14-17. The Cisco solutions will be available over the coming months and pricing will be announced upon availability. For more information, please visit: www.cisco.com/go/mobile.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- Matthew Hardwick Cisco Systems, Inc. +44 20 8824 1970 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kevin Petschow Cisco 847.678.5462 email@example.com
- Ben Stricker Cisco Systems, Inc. +1 408 527 3199 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Carter Cromwell Cisco Systems, Inc. 408 526-6914 email@example.com
- Sarita Kincaid Cisco Systems, Inc. +1 408-768-0054 firstname.lastname@example.org