Cisco Extends Mobile Networking Portfolio for Military, Public Services and Transportation Personnel Operating on the Go
Embedded Services Routers Deliver Next Generation Ad Hoc Mobile Networking; Offer Greater Efficiency, Durability and Performance to Meet Extreme Requirements
TAMPA, Fla. (LandWarNet, Booth 1300) and SAN JOSE, Calif.– Aug. 23, 2011 – Cisco today announced enhancements to its 5900 Series Embedded Services Router (ESR) product line, including the availability of the Cisco® 5915 Embedded Services Router and updates to the Cisco 5940 Embedded Services Router. The 5900 ESR series of high-performance, ruggedized routers optimized for mobile and embedded networks expands the capabilities of the Cisco Mobile Ready Net solution architecture – the Cisco vision for the network of the future that continuously adapts to allow personnel to connect how, when and where they need.
The Cisco 5900 ESR series provides the next generation of mobile networking, enabling greater flexibility and cost-effectiveness for industrial, commercial, military, homeland security and emergency response applications. Providing unprecedented network performance, durability and functionality beyond traditional network boundaries, the flexible, compact form factor of the Cisco 5900 Series router product line incorporates Cisco IOS® Software with Cisco Mobile Ready Net capabilities to provide secure data, voice and video communications to stationary and mobile network nodes across wired and wireless links. Combined with UHF, VHF, Wi-Fi and other radio platforms, these services routers enable transparent roaming over multiple wireless networks, without requiring a connection to central infrastructure.
- The 5915 extends the product line with cost-effective deployments for enterprise and fleet vehicle deployments, with its reduced form factor and power consumption.
- The standards-based 5915 ESR is designed for a wide range of environmental conditions. It operates reliably in very hot or cold temperatures and is ruggedized against shock and vibration. It is available in both air and conduction-cooled models.
- Its onboard hardware encryption helps to secure important operations, including support for high-quality data, voice and multicast video. It supports the full suite of Cisco VPN technologies.
- Additional innovative features include streaming multicast video support, remote voice services with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express, full Quality of Service (QoS) support and embedded security to help protect the network and data.
- Designed as a replacement for the Cisco 3200 Series Mobile Access Router (MAR), the router is based on 3.5-inch square PCI104 form-factor industry standard. Combining the router and switch in one board with two Fast Ethernet routed interfaces and three Fast Ethernet switched interfaces significantly reduces size. With up to a 400 percent performance boost in PPS over the MAR, the Cisco 5915 ESR positions itself to support the growing data, voice, and video requirements going forward.
- A full ecosystem of existing complementary products exists to facilitate the development of new systems incorporating the new Cisco 5915 ESR. The router allows for flexible integration into system integrator solutions.
- It supports the full suite of Cisco Mobile Ready Net protocols and enhancements to include Dynamic Link Exchange Protocol (DLEP), the latest Radio Aware Routing (RAR) addition and OSPF Ad Hoc features such as overlapping relays and address families.
- The extensive performance and resources of the Cisco 5915 ESR can allow customers to take advantage of future capabilities without replacing hardware.
- Cisco 5940 ESR now boasts up to a 30 percent increase in performance, Cisco WAAS Express to provide WAN optimization, and support for Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express increased to 150 users.
- Cisco 5940 ESR's high performance, four Gigabit Ethernet interfaces, and rich Cisco IOS Software feature set provide a great investment for customers deploying bandwidth-intensive applications in mobile or embedded networks.
- Brad Boston, senior vice president, Cisco Global Government Solutions Group, said:"Government agencies and enterprises rely on the Cisco 5900 Series ESR to help maintain a high level of information sharing by providing network services for small remote sites, heavy industrial vehicles, first-responder vehicles, and passenger and freight rail trains. The Cisco Mobile Ready Net solution with our embedded routers enable personnel to communicate between vehicles and with distant command centers, access information from remote cameras and sensors, and respond rapidly to changing data to help save lives and increase business effectiveness."
- Charlie Kawasaki, chief technical officer, PacStar, said: "Organizations demand ever-higher performing network capabilities in form-factors of the lowest possible size, weight and power. The Cisco 5900 Series ESR delivers impressively high performance in a compact form factor, enabling PacStar to develop products that meet the requirements of the most demanding users and maximizing total network interoperability."
- Mike Southworth, director of marketing, Parvus Corporation, said: "The success of organizations that operate in extreme conditions is dependent on fast, secure communications technology. Cisco has the depth of experience in delivering cutting-edge solutions such as the 5900 ESR series to meet these extreme and changing demands."
- Greg Giaquinto, senior aerospace / defense analyst, Forecast International, said: "The Cisco 5900 Series ESR is suited for users in heavy industrial, public safety, transportation and defense markets. Government agencies and business can use the portable Cisco 5915 ESR to help them maintain collaboration between vehicles and rapidly moving tactical teams and is apt for defense and first responders in emergency situations, to provide network services for Metro bus, Metro rail, and Positive Train Control for industries operating in remote areas, such as mining or oil drilling. Cisco's overall US$5B annual research and development (R&D) investment indicates the company is committed to creating new capabilities demanded by these users."
Availability & Pricing:
- The Cisco 5915 Embedded Services Router is available now.
Pricing is dependent on configuration:
Air Cooled (without Thermal Plate)
- PID: CISCO5915RA-K9
- List Price: $3990 USD
Conduction Cooled (with Thermal Plate)
- PID: CISCO5915RC-K9
- List Price: $3990 USD
There are (2) IOS options:
Enterprise Base (IOS)
- PID: S591EBK9-15201GC
- List Price: $0 USD
Advanced Enterprise Services (IOS)
- PID: S591AESK9-15201GC
- List Price: $2000 USD
- Visit: Cisco Mobile Ready Net
- Watch: Brad Boston on Ad Hoc Mobile Networking: http://www.cisco.com/go/5900
- Read: Cisco Government Blog: Moving Towards the Mobile Network of the Future
- For more information about the Cisco 5940 or 5915 Embedded Services Routers, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/5900, or contact your local Cisco account representative.
- Watch: YouTube: Enhancements and Updates to the 5900 Series Embedded Services Routers
Social Media Destinations
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.