UEM Land Holdings and Iskandar Investment Collaborate with Cisco to Develop Master Plan for Smart+Connected Community in Nusajaya
KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia, 27 July 2011 – UEM Land Holdings Berhad and Iskandar Investment Berhad announced today a collaboration with Cisco to develop an Information and Communications Technology (ICT)and Services Smart City master plan to transform Nusajaya, part of Iskandar Malaysia, into a Smart+Connected Community. Nusajaya is located at the South-western tip of Peninsula Malaysia in close proximity to Singapore.
UEM Land Holdings Berhad and Iskandar Investment Berhad aim to establish Nusajaya as a world class benchmark for the design, building and operations of an international Smart City. Both companies have a shared vision to create a vibrant and dynamic city that is highly secure, sustainable and efficient with an enriching digital lifestyle for the community.
This initiative is also aligned with the government's goal to establish a Digital Malaysia master plan which will create integrated and interconnected developments to accelerate growth across all sectors of the economy. This will, in turn, create a climate conducive to innovation, investment and talent.
Smart+Connected Communities is Cisco's transformational architecture and vision for urban development. It is built on the idea of transforming traditional physical communities into connected communities to realise economic, social and environmental sustainability. Constituents of Smart+Connected Communities have access to information and services that enrich their lives with technology solutions for their homes, schools, transportations and more. Running and operating the Smart+Connected Community can also be more efficient, productive and responsive, with integrated operations centers and the network as the underlying platform.
Cisco, and a consortium of local and international expert partners – including Mesiniaga, a leading Malaysian system integrator, and KT u-City Consulting – will develop, includes smart city infrastructure and services blueprints amongst other deliverables, as part of the Smart City master plan. Cisco is executing on Smart+Connected Communities projects around the world in cities such as Amsterdam, London, Toronto and Songdo, South Korea. The portfolio of services covers integrated city operations, public safety and security, smart transportation, education, retail, commercial office, leisure and tourism.
- A key driver of Iskandar Malaysia, Nusajaya with its 24,000 acres of contiguous development-ready land, is one of the largest property developments in Asia.
- Nusajaya is ideal as a new economic growth centre due to its strategic location within the resource-rich state of Johor and in proximity to Singapore. It has direct access to ready infrastructure and is linked by a comprehensive network of main roads and the North-South Expressway to major international airports, cargo hubs and seaports.
- It will also provide state-of-the-art telecommunications infrastructure, world-class facilities and amenities planned in an environmentally sustainable manner enhancing the quality of life in the truest sense.
- UEM Land Holdings Berhad and Iskandar Investment Berhad have collaborated on other projects in Nusajaya, notably in the mixed development project in Medini, Nusajaya, known as the Lifestyle Retail Mall and Residences @ Medini North.
- Today's announcement is the culmination of a two-year engagement between UEM Land Holdings Berhad, Iskandar Investment Berhad and Cisco, during which the two main developers evaluated Cisco's smart city framework as well as Smart+Connected Community projects around the world.
- Dato' Wan Abdullah Wan Ibrahim, managing director and chief executive officer of UEM Land Holdings Berhad – "This collaboration with Cisco is a major step towards realising our vision of a Smart+Connected Nusajaya, which is envisioned to be one of the leading modern living communities. Leveraging on ICT, Nusajaya offers USP of sustainable, safe, secure, urbanised and highly interactive progressive lifestyle. The proposition further enhances Nusajaya's attractiveness to both investors as well as potential residents".
- Datuk Syed Mohamed Syed Ibrahim, president and chief executive officer of Iskandar Investment Berhad – "This partnership is a decisive step towards realising Iskandar Investment's vision of creating a world-class, connected community in Nusajaya, Iskandar Malaysia. In addition to providing a solid foundation for businesses to thrive, integration of the latest technologies will also enhance the quality of life of residents. Families will enjoy the convenience of real-time access to public services from the comfort of their own homes such as medical consultations and video conferencing. The Smart + Connect Community in Nusajaya will create a revolutionary digital urban operating system in the development of the larger master plan community in Iskandar Malaysia."
- Anil Menon, President, Globalisation and Smart+Connected Communities – "Cisco and our collaborating partners are delighted to be selected by UEM Land Holdings Berhad and Iskandar Investment Berhad tocreate the Smart+Connected Communities master plan for Nusajaya. This is just the beginning of what we hope to be a long and fruitful collaboration. Nusajaya has the potential to become a leading model for Cisco's Smart+Connected Communities vision worldwide. All the right ingredients are in place – government participation, visionary developers and an ecosystem of private sector expertise – to bring to life a Smart+Connected Nusajaya."
About UEM Land Holdings Berhad
UEM Land Holdings Berhad is a flagship company for real estate investment and property development in UEM Group Berhad ("UEM Group") and Khazanah Nasional Berhad ("Khazanah"). UEM Group is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Khazanah, an investment holding company of the Malaysian Government. UEM Land Holdings' wholly-owned subsidiary UEM Land Berhad, is currently undertaking the development of Nusajaya which is located in one of the five flagship zones of Iskandar Malaysia. Nusajaya spans a total of 23,875 acres, with UEM Land Holdings owning 9,564 acres which are currently under various stages of development. One of the Company's business strategies is to diversify its income stream and geographical location into high growth areas. UEM Land also acquired Sunrise Berhad, the award-winning property development company largely responsible for the iconic Mont'Kiara development in Kuala Lumpur. For more information, please visit www.uemland.com.
About Iskandar Investment
Iskandar Investment Berhad is an investment holding company working in close partnership with the Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) to drive investment into Iskandar Malaysia. As the catalytic developer of Iskandar Malaysia, Iskandar Investment champions projects that result in additional economic, business and employment opportunities in the region. For more information on Iskandar Investment, please visit www.iskandarinvestment.com.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com. Cisco products are supplied in Malaysia by the partners of Cisco Systems International, BV, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cisco Systems, Inc.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.