Cisco Enables NOS to Deploy Broadband and Video Convergence
Leading Portuguese communications and entertainment provider NOS to benefit from reduced operational expense and increased flexibility with Cisco CCAP Solution
Cisco today announced that following the success of NOS' Internet Protocol (IP) video services, the leading Portuguese service provider has successfully validated Cisco® technology to enable the efficient delivery of video and broadband (DOCSIS) services over a single access infrastructure, enabling optimized network usage and reduced operational expenses.
According to a report from Ovum, only four months after launch, 94 percent of NOS Iris subscribers were actively using additional cloud video services. This, in conjunction with growth in Internet traffic, has significantly increased pressure on NOS' broadband infrastructure, creating the need for a flexible network approach.
By combining delivery of video and broadband services with the Cisco Converged Cable Access Platform (CCAP), NOS will be able to efficiently manage its infrastructure to address varying demands on its digital video and IP traffic. Utilizing the Cisco Evolved Services Platform (ESP) to provide software orchestration that manages the capacity migration from video into DOCSIS on the Cisco CCAP platform, NOS will be able to move capacity between video and broadband services, providing greatly improved service agility.
- The Cisco Converged Cable Access Platform (CCAP) will provide operational simplicity, service velocity and scalability for NOS cable business.
- Through convergence of broadband and video services, NOS will be able to move capacity between video and DOCSIS simply by adjusting orchestration software – enabled by the Cisco ESP and by the programmability of the Cisco CCAP.
- With support for multiple video security formats, the solution will help enable NOS to deliver VOD content with industry-leading security over IP, in line with DVB standards across the Cisco CCAP platform.
- The implementation will provide NOS with operational simplicity through the use of a single physical connector for DOCSIS and video services delivered to the end user.
- The deployment includes the Cisco Universal Broadband Router uBR10K, 3G60, RF Gateway 10 and DS384 line cards.
- As an existing Videoscape™ customer, NOS were pioneers of the Cisco Snowflake User Interface with the launch of their IRIS platform in 2011.
Miguel Veiga Martins, CTO, NOS
"We have seen consistent growth in our IP delivered video services since the launch of our Iris platform, which has in turn increased pressure on our broadband access network. By converging the two, we are ensuring that we can invest the right capacity in the right places at the right time. Cisco's CCAP solution has proven to provide us with the operational efficiency that we need to ensure that we can continue to offer innovative experiences to our subscribers."
Yves Padrines, Vice President, SP Video, Europe, Middle East, Africa and Russia, Cisco
"NOS is a pioneer and innovator in the cable industry and has greatly demonstrated the benefits of service innovation to customer retention and maintaining or growing revenue in challenging markets. This deployment is testament to the success of NOS existing services and will provide them even greater flexibility to innovate in the future."
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
NOS is the biggest communications and entertainment group in Portugal, leading in Pay TV, Next Generation Broadband services and Cinema Exhibition and Distribution. NOS offers its customers latest generation television, the fastest internet, unlimited telephone and mobile phone for everyone, including a 4G network for mobile services, covering more than 90% of the Portuguese population, and free Internet at more than 600 thousand hotspots in Portugal and 12 million across the world.
NOS also operates more than 200 cinemas in Portugal, and for those who prefer to stay at home, NOS has the biggest video club in the country with more than 19 thousand films, drama series, cartoons and documentaries.