Bright House Networks Deploys Cisco Network Convergence System to Offer Cloud-Based Business and Residential Services
Cisco Evolved Programmable Network (EPN) Empowers Bright House Networks to More Efficiently Deliver New Hosted and Managed Carrier-Class Services
SAN JOSE, Calif. – April 17, 2014 – Cisco announced today that Bright House Networks, the sixth-largest owner and operator of cable systems in the United States, has deployed the Cisco® Network Convergence System (NCS), a network fabric family designed to serve as the foundation of a massively scalable, smarter and more adaptable Internet. The Cisco NCS enables Bright House Networks to offer cloud-based, managed services for businesses, such as hosted voice, call center, application and infrastructure-as-a-service. The Cisco NCS also allows Bright House Networks to offer managed security, network transport, Wi-Fi and traditional voice and data services to business customers.
Bright House Networks is deploying the Cisco NCS 6000, which offers the industry's first 1 terabits per second (Tbps) line card with the capability of transporting up to 5 Tbps per slot and a total system capacity of 1.2 petabits per second (Pbps) in a multi-chassis configuration to support a converged Internet Protocol (IP) and optical environment.
The Cisco NCS 6000 is a key element within a Cisco Evolved Programmable Network and delivers programmability and virtualization capabilities that enable Bright House Networks to accommodate growing network traffic and seize the opportunity created by trillions of programmable device-driven events and generated by the Internet of Everything (IoE), the networked connection of people, data, processes and things.
The Cisco NCS 6000 works together with industry-leading Cisco Carrier Routing System (CRS) and Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers to act as a foundational network fabric to interconnect Bright House Networks' architecture and deliver them the following benefits:
- Scale: The industry's only system built for petabyte scale, capable of supporting trillions of events across a connected network fabric.
- Agility: The industry's first carrier-grade, programmable convergence system designed for advanced virtualization capabilities. The Cisco NCS extends, connects, controls and responds to applications, networks and data centers by managing and moving network and compute resources wherever and whenever they are needed across the architecture, in real time.
- Efficiencies: When deployed as part of the Cisco Open Networking Environment (ONE) service provider architecture, which embraces and extends software-defined networking (SDN) and network functions virtualization (NFV) as part of an Cisco Evolved Services Platform, the Cisco NCS family can help service providers reduce total cost of ownership by as much as 45 percent while consuming up to 60 percent less power.
- Cisco NCS is widely deployed in cable broadband access, mobile, Wi-Fi and fixed networks, giving service providers such as Bright House Networks the flexibility to control, monetize and personalize the type of products and services they choose on any type of network.
- With global IP traffic projected to increase threefold over the next five years – after having increased eightfold over the past five years – evolved programmable and virtualized network creation has never been more vital for service providers.
- Bright House Networks is also the first cable operator in the United States to achieve the Cisco Master Service Provider Certification under the Cisco Cloud and Managed Service Program. This certification, earned through a rigorous third-party audit process, recognizes Bright House Networks Enterprise Solutions as having the capabilities to sell and deliver cloud and managed service to help accelerate their time-to-market and time-to-revenue.
- Craig Cowden, chief network officer and senior vice president, Enterprise Solutions, Bright House Networks
"Our continued collaboration with Cisco allows us to be one of the first cable operators in the United States to offer comprehensive, world-class, cloud-based services to businesses and consumers. Working with Cisco will help us to quickly bring new business and residential services to market faster and perform in-service software upgrades without any downtime or service interruption or degradation."
- Bill Gartner, vice president and general manager, High-End Routing and Optical Group, Cisco
"With our Evolved Programmable Network solutions for converged networks, we are now able to deliver software-defined networking and network functions virtualization innovations that accelerate new business possibilities for Bright House Networks. We are pleased to have met Bright House Networks' expectations in a short period of time, giving them the ability to optimize and monetize their network through carrier-class, cloud-based and managed services for businesses and consumers."
Supporting Customer and Resources
- Visit Bright House Networks.
- Read Bright House Networks Enterprise Solutions Achieves Cisco Master Service Provider Certification.
- Visit Cisco Evolved Programmable Network (EPN).
- Visit Cisco NCS 6000 data sheet.
- Visit Cisco IOS-XR Software.
- Visit Cisco CPAK for 100-Gbps Solutions.
- Visit ACG Analyst assessment on Cisco NCS.
- Read our Cisco Service Provider blogs at SP360 Blog.
- Follow us on our LinkedIn page for targeted updates and announcements.
- Please keep up to date with white papers, presentations and infographics at: Cisco Service Provider SlideShare presentations.
- Visit us at: Cisco Service Provider Community.
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed.
Bright House Networks, Bright House Networks Enterprise Solutions, Cisco, Cisco Network Convergence System 6000 Series Routers, Cisco NCS 6000, Cisco NCS, Cisco Carrier Routing System, Cisco CRS, Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers, Cisco ASR 9000, Cisco IOS-XR, Cisco CPAK, Cisco ONE, Internet of Everything, IoE, routers, software, virtualization, cloud, optical network, Bill Gartner, Craig Cowden
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
About Bright House Networks
Bright House Networks is the sixth largest owner and operator of cable systems in the U.S. and the second largest in Florida, with technologically advanced systems located in five states including Florida, Alabama, Indiana, Michigan and California.
Bright House Networks serves approximately 2.5 million customers who subscribe to one or more of its video, high-speed data, home security and automation and voice services. The company also offers a strong portfolio of customizable, advanced business solutions for video, voice, data, cloud-based and managed services. The company is MEF-certified and also recently received the Cisco® Master Service Provider Certification under the Cisco Cloud and Managed Service Program, the first cable operator in the United States to achieve this designation. Bright House Networks also owns and operates exclusive, award-winning, local news and sports channels in its Florida markets. For more information about Bright House Networks or our products and services, visit brighthouse.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
- The Cisco NCS 6000 works together with industry-leading Cisco Carrier Routing System (CRS) and Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers to act as a foundational network fabric to interconnect Bright House Networks' architecture and deliver them the following benefits: