Cisco at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo 2013: Showcasing The New Cable Video Network: Open, Programmable & All-IP
ATLANTA, Ga., SCTE Cable-Tec Expo, October 21, 2013 – This week at the SCTE Cable-Tec Expo in Atlanta, Cisco is demonstrating how the cable industry can leverage the most advanced technology to deliver new video experiences, offer new IP services and build an agile, open and programmable network platform. Customers visiting the Cisco booth #1355 will see things like cloud DVR in action, new set-top box solutions based on open RDK middleware, Gigabit services offered from proven CCAP-compliant DOCSIS infrastructure, and how Cisco is opening APIs on all of its platforms. Products range from digital media to CMTS, to the new Cisco Network Convergence System (NCS), all designed to deliver an agile, cloud-centered platform.
Key Product Demonstrations:
- Open, programmable networking: ground breaking demonstrations of how Cisco is offering a unified set of open APIs across its product portfolio, from video to CMTS to routing. These demos will show how Cisco is making it simpler for cable companies to collect actionable, monetizable analytics, and to be faster and more agile in offering new software-defined services.
- Videoscape™ Unity: cloud-enabled multiscreen experiences with open API framework: showcasing cloud DVR and cloud-powered user interfaces (UIs), including HTML5-based Open UX Snowflake running on RDK-based set-top boxes and gateways; Also featuring Videoscape Acquisition Suite, Media Suite, Conductor and Distribution Suite.
- Gigabit tier DOCSIS services (& video convergence): showing how to profitably offer very high-speed services in upper tier data services and increase speeds in lower tiers, all without massive disruption or “forklift upgrades” to the existing infrastructure. Additional cable access demos include software defined networking (SDN) on CMTS using onePK, IP video over cable, DOCSIS leadership, and Cisco’s new SuperQAM XFP pluggable optical interface for the Prisma II optical video platform.
- Service provider Wi-Fi: connected mobile experiences including “the mobile shopper,” which shows service providers how to create unprecedented customer engagement across retail, sports, hospitality, entertainment and more.
- IP and optical convergence and integration with Cisco® 100Gig in ASR9K, CRS and optical transport solutions: a showcase of live cable access gear that includes several new optics and node products.
- Cisco Prime™ for cable service providers: includes management for IP next-generation networks (IP NGN), mobility, video and business services.
- John T. Chapman, Cisco Fellow & CTO, Cisco Cable Access business unit: DOCSIS® 3.1 Engineering Pre-Conference Symposium: “Downstream Convergence Layer Overview,” 11:45 a.m. – 12:30 p.m., Monday, October 21.
- John Horrobin, product marketing manager, Cisco Cable Access business unit, “Implementing End-to-End IP Video Solutions,” 1:15 – 2:30 p.m., Monday, October 21, Room 405, and 2:30 – 3:45 p.m., Thursday, October 24, Room 313.
- David Lively, director, Cloud/SDN Incubation Team, Cisco, “Finding the Silver Lining in Cloud DVR,” 2:45 – 4:00 p.m., Monday, October 21, Room 313, and 2:30 – 3:45 p.m., Thursday, October 24, Room 314.
- Jared Headley, senior director, Cisco Service Provider Mobility, LightReading “Monetizing Wi-Fi” breakfast, 6:30 – 8:15 a.m., Tuesday, October 22.
- Jay Herbert, systems engineer, Cisco, “Trim the Network Fat - A Healthy Recipe for Understanding and Improving Your Cable Ecosystem,” 9:30 – 10:45 a.m., Wednesday, October 23, Room 407, and 4:00 – 5:15 p.m., Thursday, October 24, Room 314.
- Jeff Riddell, cable architect, Cisco, “IPv6 is Here, Where Are You?” 11:00 a.m. – 12:15 p.m., Wednesday, October 23, Room 405, and 4:00 – 5:15 p.m., Thursday, October 24, Room 313.
- John T. Chapman, Cisco Fellow & CTO, Cisco Cable Access business unit, “Remote PHY: Close to Your Heart,” 1:00 – 2:15 p.m., and 2:30 – 3:45 p.m., Thursday, October 24, Room 312.
Ron Hranac, technical leader, Cisco, “The Future of Advanced Monitoring,” 2:30 – 3:45 p.m., Room 406, and 4:00 – 5:15 p.m., Room 407, Thursday, October 24, Room 407.
- Brett Wingo, vice president and general manager, Cisco Cable Access Business Unit
“Cisco’s focus here at this year’s SCTE Cable-Tec Expo in Atlanta is to share with our cable operator customers our vision to help them solve their biggest challenges. We will show how the most advanced technology with open, cloud- enabled platforms can deliver immediate results for cable. We will also demonstrate how to deliver new Gigabit tier data services today, new multiscreen video services including cloud DVR and new, immersive RDK-based client solutions. Our customers will see that Cisco is opening APIs on all of its products to deliver an open, programmable network, with greater agility and a migration path to cloud technologies and the all-IP network.”
Cisco-sponsored “SCTE IP Challenge”:
- SCTE is hosting the third annual “SCTE IP Challenge,” a friendly competition designed to test knowledge and heighten understanding of Internet Protocol (IP) technologies. The finals of the SCTE IP Challenge, sponsored by Cisco, will be conducted on Monday, Oct. 21 from 5:30-7:30 pm at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo. The final competition will provide contestants an opportunity to compete in a blended-style Jeopardy match that includes traditional questions, router and CMTS configuration, and hands-on activities. The overall first-place winner of the IP Challenge will be the cable industry's 2013 IP Challenge champion. More information at http://www.scte.org/ip/.
Additional Cisco News at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo 2013:
- About Cisco Videoscape Unity
- Cisco’s Cable Access Business Unit
- About Cisco CMTS
- Blog Series: Cisco at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo 2013: Cisco SP360: http://blogs.cisco.com/sp
- Follow Cisco at SCTE Cable-Tec Expo 2013 news and activities on Twitter: #CiscoScteExpo13 and #VideoscapeUnity
Cisco, All-IP, CCAP, CMTS, SCTE Cable-Tec Expo 2013, DOCSIS, QAM, SCTE, Brett Wingo, Videoscape Unity
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.