Vectra S.A. Deploys Nationwide Fibre-Optic Broadband Network in Poland with Cisco Next-Generation Internet Technology
Cisco Network Delivers Scalable, Resilient Internet Capabilities
GDYNIA, Poland, July 4, 2013 – Cisco today announced that Vectra S.A., one of the leading cable operators in Poland, has deployed a nationwide fibre-optic broadband network based on Cisco® optical networking technology.
Vectra’s new network infrastructure will be the platform to deliver high-bandwidth services, including voice, data, personalized video (video on demand) and mobile backhaul, to residential and business customers. In addition, moving from a leased line-based model to a fully owned network will help reduce operating costs.
According to the most recent Cisco Global Visual Networking Index, Internet traffic in Poland will grow 2.4-fold from 2012 to 2017, a compound annual growth rate of 19 per cent. Through investment in its infrastructure, Vectra is ensuring its capacity to support increased demands placed on its network.
Key facts, highlights
- Vectra has deployed Cisco’s dense wavelength-division multiplexing (DWDM) technology, including the Cisco ONS 15454 Multiservice Optical Transport Platform (MSTP).
- The network is a nationwide ring, connecting nearly 30 cities around Poland, including Warsaw, Katowice, Wroclaw, Poznan, Radom, Bydgoszcz, Torun, Gdynia and more.
- The optical network will operate initially on multiple wavelenghts at 10 Gbps but can be easily scaled to 100 Gbps when traffic requires it. By deploying 100 Gbps over fiber originally used for 10 Gbps rates, Vectra can maximize its network capacity while minimizing its capital expenses. The deployed Cisco solution can support 42 x 100 Gbps wavelengths in a single bay, nearly three times the density of competing solutions.
- The 100 Gbps DWDM solution is based on the Cisco nLightTM coherent optical technology, providing the capability to transmit 100 Gbps wavelengths over fully uncompensated networks, up to 3,000 km optical spans. This simplifies the engineering and deployment for national network operators such as Vectra.
- Klonex, a Cisco Premier Certified Partner in Poland, designed and implemented the DWDM network for Vectra.
- Tomasz Zuranski, president, Vectra S.A.
“Cisco technology has significantly increased the bandwidth capabilities of Vectra’s backbone network for our current and planned services. It is a crucial element of our technology and telco infrastructure based on optical fibre and the main artery for Vectra’s digital services, lowering our digital transmission costs in the long-term perspective.”
- Dariusz Fabiszewski, general manager, Cisco Poland
"Video, broadband and mobile traffic are driving explosive capacity demand across global service provider networks. Cisco's DWDM technology helps operators use their network infrastructure for lower costs and enables them to increase their revenues. We are pleased to work closely with Vectra to help it meet its long-term business objectives."
- For more information about Cisco’s service provider news and activities visit the Cisco SP360 Blog or follow us on Twitter @CiscoSPMobility
- Subscribe to Cisco's SP360 feed
Tags, Keywords: Vectra, Cisco, DWDM, optical networking, nLight
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/rss.html
VECTRA Group (www.vectra.pl) belongs to a small group of major national telecom cable operators. It supports 860,000 customers in 167 cities across the country. Vectra’s basic offer provides access to TV programs in both analog and digital versions, broadband internet and fixed and mobile telephone services. Vectra’s digital television offer is one of the most attractive on the market for its number and diversity of programs - a total of 183, including 44 in HD. Other services that distinguish Vectra are the 160 Mb/s internet, independent local television programs broadcast in 110 cities, digital recorder and multi-room services. Additional services include Vectra TVOnline (free access to 25 TV programs on your PC and mobile devices), HBO GO and Mood music service. Vectra has 490,000 digital TV subscribers, 413,000 fixed Internet customers, 28,000 mobile internet customers and 151,000 telephone subscribers. Vectra also supports small and medium-sized enterprises.
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in IT that helps companies seize the opportunities of tomorrow by proving that amazing things can happen when you connect the previously unconnected. For ongoing news, please go to http://thenetwork.cisco.com . Cisco equipment in Europe is provided by Cisco Systems International B.V. and Cisco International Limited, wholly owned subsidiaries of Cisco Systems, Inc.
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.