Cisco to Provide IP Network to NBC Olympics for Its Coverage of London Games
NAB, Las Vegas – April 16, 2012 – This summer, Cisco will collaborate with NBC Olympics, a division of the NBC Sports Group, to help deliver 17 consecutive days of coverage of the London Games from July 27 to August 12, 2012. Cisco will provide NBC Olympics with key building blocks for an Internet Protocol (IP) video contribution network from London to New York, featuring components of Cisco's networking equipment, and of the Cisco Videoscape™ TV services delivery platform.
- Cisco will help NBC's Olympics division deploy a single converged IP infrastructure for a wide range of services, from the video delivery to data-intensive logistics applications.
- This is the third consecutive Olympic Games on which Cisco and NBC Olympics have collaborated. Cisco will work alongside multiple video, storage, editing and telecommunications broadcasting technology vendors to help NBC Olympics deliver multiscreen coverage of the London Games. It will involve a complex mix of IP video production, content management and distribution network technology.
- The combined vendor solution will enable real-time shot selection and editing of the London Games content by NBC's Olympics division staff in multiple locations. Large video files can be transmitted between locations and then delivered to TVs, PCs, mobile phones, and the tablet.
- Craig Lau, Vice President, Information Technology, NBC Olympics
"Cisco helped us exceed our goals in Vancouver and Beijing, delivering thousands of hours of Games coverage to multiple screens via all-IP networked video technology. We look forward to London, where we expect to once again lean on Cisco for their IP and video systems expertise to reach viewers on more devices."
- Jesper Andersen, Senior Vice President, General Manager, Cisco Service Provider Video Technology Group
"NBC's Olympics division has marked many milestones with its coverage of the Games over the years, unifying coverage across multiple screens and building a tremendous community for U.S. Olympic fans online at NBCOlympics.com. Cisco looks forward to supporting NBC's Olympics division during the London Olympics with our integrated IP video and networking capabilities to enable ‘better than being there' experiences."
Cisco, multiscreen TV, NBC Olympics, NBCOlympics.com, IP, IP video, Jesper Andersen, Craig Lau, London Olympic Games
RSS Feed for Cisco: http://newsroom.cisco.com/rss-feeds
Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO) is the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com. For ongoing news, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com.
About NBC Olympics
A division of the NBC Sports Group, NBC Olympics is responsible for producing, programming and promoting Olympic coverage across the networks of NBCUniversal. It is renowned for its unsurpassed Olympic heritage, award-winning production, and ability to aggregate the largest audiences in U.S. television history.
Having produced every Summer Olympics since Seoul in 1988 and every Winter Olympics since Salt Lake City in 2002, the networks of NBCUniversal are synonymous with the Games in the United States. In 2011, NBCUniversal acquired the U.S. media rights on all platforms to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, the 2016 Rio Summer Olympics, the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics, and the 2020 Summer Olympics. At the conclusion of the 2020 Games, NBCUniversal will have presented 17 total Olympic Games and 11 consecutive, the most for a U.S. media company in both categories.
NBC has won an unprecedented 91 Emmy Awards for its Olympics coverage, as well as a prestigious Peabody Award for its presentation of the Beijing Opening Ceremony in 2008, which USA Today said was "the best overall Olympic experience ever provided by a U.S. network."
In addition to its unsurpassed heritage and award-winning production, NBCUniversal is known for aggregating large Olympic audiences, as nine of the top 11 most-watched U.S. television events of all time are Olympic Games presented across the networks of NBCUniversal. The Beijing Summer Olympics rank No. 1 with 215 million viewers.
# # #
Cisco and the Cisco logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Cisco and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and other countries. A listing of Cisco's trademarks can be found at www.cisco.com/go/trademarks. Third-party trademarks mentioned are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company.
Most Recent NewsGoldman Sachs and Cisco to Host Conference Call on Cisco's Cloud Computing Strategy
Today, 11:00 AM
Chinese Cable Operator Zhejiang Wasu Taps Cisco for 100 Gigabit Backbone
Today, 05:00 AM
Media Alert: Cisco to Webcast Annual Visual Networking Index (VNI) Global IP Traffic Forecast 2012-2017 Results
Today, 05:00 AM