Corporate Express Selects Cisco, EMC and VMware to Virtualise for Increased Business Agility and Energy Efficiency
SYDNEY, Australia - October 26, 2010 - Corporate Express, a $1.16 billion supplier of products for the office with 40 locations across Australia and New Zealand, is extending its commitment to virtualisation in the data centre with its selection of technology from Cisco, EMC and VMware.
In September 2009, Corporate Express issued its inaugural sustainability report and vision to provide socially responsible solutions through its products and the way it operates. The company's decision to bring network, compute and virtualisation platforms closer together aligns with this vision to increase energy efficiency by creating a green data centre. The solutions from Cisco, EMC and VMware will enable:
- Reduced Energy Consumption and Cooling Costs. By breaking down IT silos and creating virtual network resources, Corporate Express spreads its energy needs and cooling expenses across data centres and expects to further reduce its energy consumption and cooling costs. Since Corporate Express began virtualising with VMware ESX in 2004 and now with vSphere virtualisation software more than 200 physical servers have been removed from operation. This architecture has been simplified through the design and development of the selected Cisco, EMC and VMware technologies for optimal performance and simplified management.
- Transformation of IT to Better Align with Business Initiatives for Growth. By using the modernisation of its data centre architecture as a catalyst, Corporate Express has reshaped its IT organisation to become a strategic driver of transformation within the company. By reshaping the people and process of IT and shifting resources to allow for cross-skills training of the IT team, Corporate Express is unlocking the tremendous potential of virtual computing and providing ongoing career progression opportunities for IT staff which together underscores IT's critical importance to overall business strategy.
- New levels of Operational Efficiency. Corporate Express has embarked on an initiative to build a pervasive, scalable infrastructure on the Cisco Unified Computing System that bridges compute, network and storage domains and unifies them into a fabric of shared, virtual services that can be provisioned in a fraction of the time it took previously.
- Improved Availability, Backup and Recovery. With its extensive supply chain and distribution infrastructure, a reliable and highly secure network infrastructure that efficiently replicates deduplicated data to ensure uptime and reliability is a business requirement for Corporate Express. EMC's Avamar solution enables Corporate Express to identify redundant data at the source, minimising backup data before it is sent over the local area network and wide area network. With Avamar, Corporate Express has experienced new levels of data reduction and faster, more secure backup for its VMware environment.
Andrew Grech, Infrastructure and Operations Centre Manager, at Corporate Express, said: "Because Corporate Express is the one dependable source for the many things our customers need to run their business, systems availability and reliability is a paramount concern. The selection of Cisco, EMC and VMware technology was driven by this requirement coupled with the goal to improve alignment with the business' initiatives for faster growth and corporate sustainability."
Dylan Morison, Data Centre Practice Manager for Cisco Australia and New Zealand, said: "We are thrilled that Corporate Express has selected the Cisco Unified Computing System as the foundation for the transformation of its data centre. As it's rolled out, we expect Corporate Express to realise many of the benefits of virtualization including lower facilities and power and cooling costs, better server utilisation, higher service levels, and faster deployment of applications."
"We have had a long standing relationship with Corporate Express and this recent commitment will align our two businesses well into the future as we look to lead the world from a best practice perspective around dynamic and increasingly efficient data centres that enable IT to deliver far greater value back to the business," said Darren McCullum, EMC's VCE Business Manager.
"We are very excited to be working in this collaborative partnership to help Corporate Express achieve their IT Transformation goals, and ultimately realise the full benefits of virtualisation, especially the significant positive environmental impact for which our technology is world renowned", said Paul Harapin, Managing Director VMware, Australia and New Zealand. "
Corporate Express, Cisco, VMware, EMC, data centre, Cisco Unified Computing System, green
About Corporate Express
Corporate Express Australia Limited is an Australian provider of non-production office products to large corporations and government in Australia and NZ. The company's strategy is to allow customers to outsource all the products and services they need for the office, help them simplify their procurement process and reduce their costs of doing business.
About Cisco Systems
Cisco, (NASDAQ: CSCO), the worldwide leader in networking that transforms how people connect, communicate and collaborate, this year celebrates 25 years of technology innovation, operational excellence and corporate social responsibility. Information about Cisco can be found at http://www.cisco.com.au. For ongoing news from Australia and New Zealand, please go to http://newsroom.cisco.com/anz.
EMC Corporation (NYSE: EMC) is the world's leading developer and provider of information infrastructure technology and solutions that enable organizations of all sizes to transform the way they compete and create value from their information. Information about EMC's products and services can be found at www.EMC.com.
VMware delivers virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable IT organizations to energize businesses of all sizes. With the industry leading virtualization platform VMware vSphereTM customers rely on VMware to reduce capital and operating expenses, improve agility, ensure business continuity, strengthen security and go green. With 2009 revenues of $2 billion, more than 190,000 customers and 25,000 partners, VMware is the leader in virtualization which consistently ranks as a top priority among CIOs. VMware is headquartered in Silicon Valley with offices throughout the world and can be found online at www.vmware.com.
# # #
Cisco, the Cisco logo, Cisco Systems and Cisco Unified Computing System are registered trademarks or trademarks of Cisco Systems, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the United States and certain other countries. All other trademarks mentioned in this document are the property of their respective owners. The use of the word partner does not imply a partnership relationship between Cisco and any other company. This document is Cisco Public Information.
- Linda Horiuchi Cisco Systems, Inc. + 61 2 8446 6343 firstname.lastname@example.org